Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

5 passengers on an airliner? Pah!

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2008, 05:00 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 passengers on an airliner? Pah!

So American Airlines flew 5 people across the pond the other day, due to a lengthy delay. I can beat that: I was the ONLY passenger on a small Lufthansa subsidiary jet (Cirrus Airlines) from Stansted to Leipzig a few years ago. The stewardesses just sat talking to me all flight (sadly there were no "extras" on the mile-high menu: now that would have been a good story!). Needless to say LH soon pulled that route from their schedule.

I wonder how big my carbon footprint was that day? Who cares?
Old 06 March 2008, 05:25 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Theres people from Airbus in Bristol who fly to Toulouse and back day in day out for meetings etc.

Everymorning and evening it flys over the site where i am working. I can imagine their carbon footprint is big.
Old 06 March 2008, 06:09 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

The emptiest plane I have managed so far, was a 737 from Cologne to Stansted. Only the first 3 rows had passengers, the rest of the plane was empty.
Old 06 March 2008, 06:12 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

United guy I met today, he's flying to Chicago on Sunday for a 90 minute meeting Monday, then coming back home again.
Old 06 March 2008, 06:43 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I had one in Australia from Alice Springs to Adelaide, only passenger, three stewardesses, got in the jump seat for the landing.

It would have to be the sternest of tree huggers to turn up for a flight in their hessian trousers and turn down a bump to business because there were only a few passengers.
And who's to say the one going pack wasn't packed to the rafters and to cancel would have caused a load of disruptions?
Old 06 March 2008, 08:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I used to fly to Luxembourg regularly, out on the Monday, back Tuesday or weds, Dependant on the workload.

invariably it was a Boeing or an airbus 320

on the odd occasion when there were few passengers on the LUX/ LHR leg, it would change to an Embraer ERJ-145

one Tuesday I arrived late at the airport (LUX) and literally checked in grabbed some duty free's and then went through to departures, only to walk out to an airbus 320 on the tarmac

On board:

3 first class passengers.

3 economy class passengers.

The reason

it was a VERY turbulent flight,

we had drinks flying off the ceiling of the cabin, and had some severe wing up/wing down actions as we came over central London.

the stewardess's sat with us for most of the flight, as there was sod all to do

mart
Old 06 March 2008, 09:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from TF Green airport in Providence to Boston on one of those Coffin Shaped Shorts prop jobs, me and 2 other passengers, the pilot said he was going to do a short takeoff over the radio which translated as its light and I am going to make the most of it, full popwer on the brakes, then released them, I wasn't expecting much in the way of pickup but jesus it was mind bending the acceleration and the seemingly vertical rate of climb was fun, I have never been stuck to the seat like that before or since !
Old 06 March 2008, 10:26 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Shortest time/longest travel was Gabon for the day.

Worked in London Monday...
Paris Monday evening...
Overnight to Gabon...
Tuesday working in Libreville...
Overnight back to Paris on the same aircraft...
Paris to London early Wednesday...
Working in London as normal Wednesday.
Old 06 March 2008, 10:28 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

And while we're swapping stories - not the smallest plane I've been in but probably the rattiest...

Old 06 March 2008, 10:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Talking about ratty airplanes, I travelled from Mexico to Argentina a couple of days ago on a 747, two large pieces of the exit door fell off, woke me up both times.
Old 06 March 2008, 11:01 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
Massive. Well done.

We'll catch the Indian's and Chinese's output if we all pull together.
Old 06 March 2008, 11:30 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

We came back from TCI last year and the landing was bumpy enought to open most of the over head lockers, i caught a bag that fell out in my hands! stewardesses werent arsed
Old 06 March 2008, 11:30 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Salzburg and innsbruck are entertaining landings as well with all the hills
Old 07 March 2008, 02:31 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I nrealy sh@t myself landing at Tenerife North on a BinterCanarias flight. After all, it was fookin bumpy and the place holds the record for the most people killed in a plane disaster. 500+ dead I think...
Old 07 March 2008, 08:42 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

One other little aviation tale: I was on an internal scheduled German flight from Dresden to Dortmund on a little twin engined propellor jobby. The in-flight refreshments always consisted of handing around a thermos flask of coffee from passenger to passenger. Anyway the flight should have been about an hour or so, but after about 15 minutes it started coming back down again and simply landed at another airport, without a word of information from the crew. The cheeky buggers had realized that they could squeeze in the passengers from another flight that was headed to Dortmund and save some money.

A colleague of mine used them twice weekly: it was always an adventure. His best story was: take-off from Dortmund, fly around in a big circle, land back at Dortmund and then remember to close the cabin door properly!
Old 07 March 2008, 12:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember going on my first plane journey, Dan Air 1-11, good god that was a shock, noisy, bouncy and I swear i could see corrosion on the airframe as we went up the back stepa into the plane, right old shed.

Delta Tri-Star, whining electric and clunking noise under our seats, vague smell of burning electronics, only reaction was to get hammered.

Got to love a SN avaiation thread !

I want some Les storys, perhaps a book of his memoirs.
Old 07 March 2008, 12:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

So American Airlines flew 5 people across the pond the other day, due to a lengthy delay. I can beat that: I was the ONLY passenger on a small Lufthansa subsidiary jet (Cirrus Airlines) from Stansted to Leipzig a few years ago. The stewardesses just sat talking to me all flight (sadly there were no "extras" on the mile-high menu: now that would have been a good story!). Needless to say LH soon pulled that route from their schedule.

What would you have said if they had cancelled the flight and told you to come back the next day?

Les
Old 07 March 2008, 01:01 PM
Alan-G
Scooby Regular

Scariest for me was a 16 seater twin going for a "please flight" through the Grand Canyon. Jesus-H, with all the differences in the colour of the landscape just provided hundreds of different strength thermals leading to the most turbulent flight in history.

My mum and dad were literally Green
Old 07 March 2008, 01:14 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I'm sure most travellers on dodgy foreign airlines have had similar...

Air Algerie from Gatwick, safety breifing in a dodgy 737 combo:

In Arabic - "Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah."

In French - "Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Blah, blah."

Followed by - "Lifebelts under the seat, enjoy the flight."

Wait a minute - what the hell did you tell everyone else???? Is there some secret safety device the non arabic and french speaking people don't get???
Was it "if we crash anywhere, we'll eat the english speakers first???"

Appreciate it's not the home language of the airline but flying from Gatwick - c'mon...!
Old 07 March 2008, 02:19 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Not long ago the misses went from LHR to Montreal on Sunday night, had a meeting in Montreal on Monday, flew to Paris CDG where the plane had to make 2 attempts at landing (), went from there to Vasteras (sweden) for another meeting, then back to LHR and was back home Thursday morning.
Then got a flight from EMA to London and back for another meeting on the Friday.

Nice footprint that was.
Old 07 March 2008, 02:46 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
What would you have said if they had cancelled the flight and told you to come back the next day?

Les
Well I guess they had just arrived from Germany earlier that morning anyway, so they had to fly back either with or without a passenger, so there would have been no point cancelling and bumping me on to the next day's flight.
Old 07 March 2008, 03:08 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

I flew from LAX into Palm Springs on a small twin prop plane (no idea what type!) with a Stewerdess and 6 other passengers. As we flew from the mountains down towards the runway at P.S it was being tossed around like nobodies business (big gulp!!). Looking down at the rocks below made me find God very quickly. When we finally landed the Pilot apologised for the bumpy ride blaming it on the warm air coming off the mountains.

Never been so glad to see American Customs
Old 07 March 2008, 03:48 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The RAF flew 6 of us to the USA in a VC10 so we could go canoeing in Canada

Dropped us off at Dulles where we hired an A team van and drove to Canada, decided after 2 days it was to cold to go canoeing so spent the rest of of the wek going out on the pi55. Then we drove to Toroto for a few days then onto New York and New Jersey fo r a few days then back to Washington where we checked into the officers mess at a US base for a week and went on the pi55, we had to wait another week before the RAF could get a VC10 back to the States to pick the 6 of us up again and fly us to Brize where we had to wait another week to get a flight back to Cyprus.

now work out how much tax payers money we wasted and what our carbon foot print was

as a hint we over spent our petrol budget by over a grand
Old 07 March 2008, 03:55 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Not me!! lol! Carbon shmarbon!
Old 08 March 2008, 11:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
The RAF flew 6 of us to the USA in a VC10 so we could go canoeing in Canada

Dropped us off at Dulles where we hired an A team van and drove to Canada, decided after 2 days it was to cold to go canoeing so spent the rest of of the wek going out on the pi55. Then we drove to Toroto for a few days then onto New York and New Jersey fo r a few days then back to Washington where we checked into the officers mess at a US base for a week and went on the pi55, we had to wait another week before the RAF could get a VC10 back to the States to pick the 6 of us up again and fly us to Brize where we had to wait another week to get a flight back to Cyprus.

now work out how much tax payers money we wasted and what our carbon foot print was

as a hint we over spent our petrol budget by over a grand
The trip to Dulles was a scheduled weekly flight which was for transporting Service personnel to or from Belize via Dulles as required and also for transporting embassy or other Service personnel serving in the States. Even if not many went out on the aircraft, and usually it was full, it would certainly be full on the way back. You should thank your lucky stars there was room for you and your canoes Wurzel.

"I hope you enjoyed your trip on that VC10 from Royal Air Force Brize Norton" Do you remember that announcement Wurzel?

Wonder what year that was and whether I was in the front end?

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 08 March 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 5 passengers on an airliner? Pah!