Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2008, 07:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boris Johnson (Mayor of London) and his manifesto

This is the sort of thing that should earn votes lol

I will seek to reform the Congestion Charge after the contract changes in 2009,
so it is fairer and more effective. I believe we should move to a flexible pricing
system, so we can more effectively target the worst congestion.
I will do what Ken Livingstone did not, and listen to Londoners on the Western
extension. The Western extension was introduced despite the overwhelming
opposition of local residents and I think that was wrong. I will consult the residents in the zone and on the border on whether we should keep the Western extension, and whatever the result I will abide by it.
As part of reforming the system, paying the Congestion Charge should be easier.
The Labour Mayor took over £90 million in fines from the Congestion Charge last year, and most Londoners will have had the experience of being fined because they forgot to pay on the day. This is seen by most Londoners as mean-spirited and unfair. Over 6 million fines were issued across London last year and I want to do my bit to ease that burden on Londoners.
Therefore, I will move to an account-based system, to make paying the
Congestion Charge more convenient. Londoners will be able to register with TfL and get sent a bill at the end of every month, and they will be able to pay by direct debit and other convenient payment methods.

I believe that by tackling congestion, we will tackle emissions. Cars that are moving emit less CO2 than those that are stuck at traffic lights, or in traffic jams. This is why I will not allow smaller cars into the Congestion Charge zone for free, or introduce Ken Livingstone’s £25 charge on large family cars.
I will reduce the number of pointless announcements at open-air Tube stations
in order to reduce noise pollution for local residents. More information is one thing,
but constantly being told how good the service is despite all evidence to the contrary
is annoying and makes the experience worse.
The rest of the manifesto is here
http://www.backboris.com/assets/comp..._manifesto.pdf

While I appreciate that its politics and "talk", its refreshing to see a fresh attitude

Last edited by Snazy; 07 March 2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07 March 2008, 09:44 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a shifty public school ponce. That said hes a safer option than commie Ken!
Old 07 March 2008, 09:49 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a shifty public school ponce. That said hes a safer option than commie Ken!
lol nicely put.
I would never dare call him perfect, but certainly more human and realistic than Red Ken
Old 07 March 2008, 09:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Who actually does vote for Ken? No one likes him
Could not have asked the question better myself..... Guess til now no-one bothered so he got in with a few votes!

Fingers crossed the CC and public transport will be enough to see the back of the muppet!
Old 07 March 2008, 10:47 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I dont know a single person who voted for ken.... I certainly didn't in the first election in London.

Got out not long after that too.
Old 07 March 2008, 11:04 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a shifty public school ponce.
I say old chap, that's not quite the ticket now is it?

I mean 'fair dibbs' and all that..... let's give the fellow an even pitch
Old 07 March 2008, 11:12 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

sounds like he believes in the concept of a congestion charge though.

Nothing like shifting the blame. Where there is congestion politicians should be shamed. They take massive amounts of road tax, don't build roads with it, and then somehow spin things so that motorists should pay again

You have already paid once, and had nothing delivered. Why pay another charge and still have nothing delivered to improve things?

I wish I could engineer that philosophy into my career. I'll bill you for something, not deliver it. Then blame you, bill you again, and still not do anything. Nice earner if you can get it.
Old 07 March 2008, 11:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

sounds like he believes in the concept of a congestion charge though.
Concept yes, format no.
Personally I have no issue with paying a fair charge to drive in town. Then again I dont do it daily.

You have already paid once, and had nothing delivered. Why pay another charge and still have nothing delivered to improve things?
Given the other "commitments" such as making sure all efforts are made to phase lights correctly and get traffic moving properly, the all round package seems more attractive than Red Ken.

Would be interested to know just how many Londoners from her voted Ken in at any time.
Can only keep our fingers crossed now, and see what happens. And of course, should he win, see how much of the promised stuff materialises.
Old 07 March 2008, 11:30 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Couldn't be arsed to read his manifesto.

Any mention of getting rid the frigging awful bendy bus? They are used as a free ride and cause more congestion than they are meant to solve.

Ken/Boris. Dumb/dumber - in no particular order.
Old 07 March 2008, 11:48 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBH, what happens in London re charges doesn't effect me, but I still care, and if someone can come in and replace Ken, who will provide a fairer system then good luck to him. I don't truely trust any politician, but if he stands by what is suggested, then it is certainly better than the way things are going under Red Ken.
Old 07 March 2008, 11:53 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

VOTE BORIS IN! All those hippy pacifist car-haters will be voting for ken again, dont let them win!!
Old 08 March 2008, 12:02 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

The thing is that the major issue with London is transport, th CC on the main. The CC currently affects mainly people that don't live there as most Londoners use the tube/trains/buses to get around. Only mugs drive there, or those with no choice. And businesses pass the cost on anyway.

I work there and lived there until recently and currently work in the centre and the traffic is just as bad as it ever was. There is a certain need for people to drive and even if they charged 30/40/50 quid a day the lorries and people in company cars would still clog up the place.

Why does everyone on this site seem to think that Londoners vote on traffic issues? It's bad, always has been and always will be. There are far more pressing issues in the capital than a load of people queueing in cars to get somewhere.

Ken's still a c*nt, but Boris hasn't offered anything I've seen, other than going on about the CC.

Saying that, I have just received a £120n fine from a TFL scamera that caught me parked on a red route whilst getting my dry cleaning and I'm having trouble finding an excuse to get the bugger written off!
Old 08 March 2008, 08:45 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
The thing is that the major issue with London is transport, th CC on the main. The CC currently affects mainly people that don't live there as most Londoners use the tube/trains/buses to get around. Only mugs drive there, or those with no choice. And businesses pass the cost on anyway.

I work there and lived there until recently and currently work in the centre and the traffic is just as bad as it ever was. There is a certain need for people to drive and even if they charged 30/40/50 quid a day the lorries and people in company cars would still clog up the place.

Why does everyone on this site seem to think that Londoners vote on traffic issues? It's bad, always has been and always will be. There are far more pressing issues in the capital than a load of people queueing in cars to get somewhere.

Ken's still a c*nt, but Boris hasn't offered anything I've seen, other than going on about the CC.

Saying that, I have just received a £120n fine from a TFL scamera that caught me parked on a red route whilst getting my dry cleaning and I'm having trouble finding an excuse to get the bugger written off!
The full manifesto has lots more than just traffic mate. Traffic, charging, and transport are a big part of London though as you well know.
In answer to your earlier question, yes he wants rid of the bendy's, and in with a new style routemaster with conductor. Introduction of express buses to join up east-west train services, increase spending on BTP, aircon on the tubes...... and lots more.

The full manifesto is a lot to take in, but trust me, there is a lot more there than CC

Not that you will wanna read it all but..
Crime manifesto http://backboris.com/assets/crime_ma...inal_final.pdf
Transport manifesto http://www.backboris.com/assets/comp..._manifesto.pdf
Housing Housing : Back Boris for Mayor of London

Last edited by Snazy; 08 March 2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08 March 2008, 08:48 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Boris - legend

YouTube - Boris Johnson vs Germany
Old 08 March 2008, 08:50 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol I know what that is without even clicking it..... superb, and perfectly legal surely?
Old 08 March 2008, 08:53 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just as a pointer, Ken Livingstone wrote a book years ago, which shows his attitude to things. Amazing how he uses a third party of THEY reference, when he lives under the same regime now....

He has written two books, If Voting Changed Anything They'd Abolish It (1987)
Old 08 March 2008, 08:57 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Looks like ken Livingstone is good at employing people that are not very good with numbers eh....

Check this statement out and see how factually incorrect it is..

The night bus network has been doubled, from 57 routes in 2000 to 100 routes from 2006
57+57 (the definition of the word "doubled") = ????

Just to make it fairer to see what BOTH are offering...
Ken Livingstone

Last edited by Snazy; 08 March 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08 March 2008, 09:05 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by serega
VOTE BORIS IN! All those hippy pacifist car-haters will be voting for ken again, dont let them win!!
These are Kens core voters.

I think Boris has a few sensible suggestions, i would vote for Boris out of the two.
Old 08 March 2008, 09:22 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

As someone living a fair way away from London, I was astonished that Livingstone was re-elected. He's a vile, racist, self-serving, lying, cheating toad who has done nothing whatsoever for London as far as I can see, other than slow traffic down even further and procure an Olympic games that will no doubt be a financial disaster.

I'm genuinely amazed that anyone would vote for him, then again I guess the millions of immigrants in London are hardly going to vote Tory...
Old 08 March 2008, 10:06 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Looks like ken Livingstone is good at employing people that are not very good with numbers eh....

Check this statement out and see how factually incorrect it is..

57+57 (the definition of the word "doubled") = ????

Just to make it fairer to see what BOTH are offering...
Ken Livingstone
Doubling the night bus network just doubles crime! You've got to be desperate to risk getting on most of these!
Old 08 March 2008, 10:18 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Doubling the night bus network just doubles crime! You've got to be desperate to risk getting on most of these!
Not been on a night bus in years, if you dont get attacked, you will probably get at least thrown up on, or sit in ****.

Nice to see Boris realising with growth there is the need for more "management" of these services.

Lordretsudo, thats certainly to the point.
Just the recent issues with one of his aides, and how much he backed them, even dwarfing their offences by saying they had made "a simple mistake" and were "sorry". Oh ok thats fine then.... as you were!

With that sort of leadership amongst his own, what sort of attitude does he have towards London as a whole!
Old 08 March 2008, 10:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What has he actually done in the way of poncing though? Just interested to know.

Les