Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 09:24 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed camera blunder

PistonHeads Headlines

1.5 MILLION SPEED CAMERA BLUNDER
For more than 10 years a speed camera in Dorset snapped drivers going over the speed limit - except, it turns out, they weren't.

Just a Cash Machine?Now the safety camera partnership concerned is facing up to paying back the £1.5million in fines it collected.

A paperwork blunder led to 25,000 motorists being given points and ordered to pay £60 fines.

But now the Dorset Safety Camera Partnership has been forced to admit a legal error which was spotted by a judge during a case involving lorry driver Alan Dawe last year.

She noticed that paperwork for the camera indicated a road used to mark out the 30mph zone on the A35 at Chideock, Dorset, didn't actually exist.

Instead of using the correct name Duck Street, it used Seatown Road.

It means every conviction issued by the camera towards Exeter since 1997 is void. The partnership admits other drivers might want to be reimbursed.

Whoops
Old 04 March 2008, 09:30 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't ya just love stories like this?
Old 04 March 2008, 09:32 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

And will they reimburse the extra insurance premiums people had to pay over successive years because of the illegal penalty, or those poeple who lost their licences and their jobs and, possibly, their homes as a consequence?

Will they?

Oh, silly me - thought not!

The effin' little *****!
Old 04 March 2008, 09:33 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
The partnership admits other drivers might want to be reimbursed.
No really?! I'd be camped outside their offices ready to wave my big whacking stick if I'd been in their net.

Hopefully the admin expenses they encounter will wipe out any profit the partnership makes for the next 10 years too.
Old 04 March 2008, 09:35 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

They won't reimburse anyhow - they'll do what all the extortion rackets.. sorry, scamera partnerships have done before, make some whiney excuse as to why they should keep the cash and have the tax payer (AKA Motorists) pick up the tab again.
Old 04 March 2008, 09:44 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I can't say I'm surprised that Dorset, of all counties, made this error.

The fervour with which they persecute the motorist in the name of safety, when they are just after revenue, is disgusting. I've never been so pleased to move away from a place in my life!

Here's hoping that a large number of drivers successfully sue them collectively for a LOT more than the £1.5M collected.
Old 04 March 2008, 09:52 PM
Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

have i read it right though....all the people caught WERE speeding, its justa clerical error? Like saying Billy robbed the natwest when it was really the Abbey.....if so, sod em.
Old 05 March 2008, 11:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Brings out a warm glow!

Les
Old 05 March 2008, 12:12 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Originally Posted by nooobyscoooby
And will they reimburse the extra insurance premiums people had to pay over successive years because of the illegal penalty, or those poeple who lost their licences and their jobs and, possibly, their homes as a consequence?

Out of 25,000 illegally prosecuted, there must be at least one 'Pete Lewis' who is willing and able to take this all the way. Here's hoping

Richard.
Old 05 March 2008, 12:19 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

So the camera partnership is going to mail out apology letters along with a cheque to each of the 25,000 people they unlawfully prosecuted. When it snows in hell maybe ...
Old 05 March 2008, 12:28 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
So the camera partnership is going to mail out apology letters along with a cheque to each of the 25,000 people they unlawfully prosecuted. When it snows in hell maybe ...
If i was one of them i would be making sure Satan was getting a nice fur coat but i would expect the scamera partnership to hope that most people will not bother with the hassle (as with many things in this country) therefore leaving them in the clear.
Old 05 March 2008, 01:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Out of 25,000 illegally prosecuted, there must be at least one 'Pete Lewis' who is willing and able to take this all the way. Here's hoping

Richard.
I think Pete would be saying that because you broke the law you should take it on the chin, even if the subsequent prosecution was illegal.
Old 05 March 2008, 01:24 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I think Pete would be saying that because you broke the law you should take it on the chin, even if the subsequent prosecution was illegal.
Aye, at the end of the day they were still speeding in a 30 limit which is just daft. I have every sympathy with someone getting done at 80 on a deserted motorway at 4am or on the only bit of straight for miles on a country road but 30 limits are 30 limits usually because of houses and kids so while it is a shame they've paid extra in some cases (although many insurers make no odds for a single 3 pointer) they should be happy with the 60 notes they've got.

5t.
Old 05 March 2008, 01:42 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

best bit of good news I have heard all day

shame I dont live or venture into dorset that much
Old 05 March 2008, 02:38 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by fivetide
Aye, at the end of the day they were still speeding in a 30 limit which is just daft. I have every sympathy with someone getting done at 80 on a deserted motorway at 4am or on the only bit of straight for miles on a country road but 30 limits are 30 limits usually because of houses and kids so while it is a shame they've paid extra in some cases (although many insurers make no odds for a single 3 pointer) they should be happy with the 60 notes they've got.

5t.
No intention of whacking the hornets nest with a big stick, but...
That's what I dont get aswell. As they were breaking the 30mph limit and got caught because they werent good enough drivers to monitor their speed or notice the 10 foot high yellow camera at the side of the road then they deserve knicking anyway regardless of the name of the road.
Still, based on the driving skills ommited the last time they got caught, I guess they'll get caught again... One can only hope
Old 05 March 2008, 03:03 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Heads should roll for this.

Oh, no sorry it's not Saudi is it. Well, the person responsible should loose their job at least.

Old 05 March 2008, 03:15 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nooobyscoooby

Will they?

Oh, silly me - thought not!

The effin' little *****!
Good point, well put.
Old 05 March 2008, 11:53 PM
Merv
Scooby Regular

I live three miles from this village,which has steep hills on both sides.The cameras were put there to slow traffic entering the village,speed is reduced to 40 mph half way down each hill to give drivers chance to slow before hitting the 30 mph signs.This didn't work,as the number of accidents kept rising so the cameras were put in.

25000 people caught on one camera on the slower hill,I bet the other one has double that as that hill is very steep.

So 40 signs,30 signs (and 30 painted on the road)camera signs and a big yellow box in full view,and they still go blazing through,idiots shouldn't get a penny back.

By the way I'm no saint,I like to go for a blast,but I do stick to 30 in a 30 zone.
Old 07 March 2008, 12:08 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Merv
I live three miles from this village,which has steep hills on both sides.The cameras were put there to slow traffic entering the village,speed is reduced to 40 mph half way down each hill to give drivers chance to slow before hitting the 30 mph signs.This didn't work,as the number of accidents kept rising so the cameras were put in.

25000 people caught on one camera on the slower hill,I bet the other one has double that as that hill is very steep.

So 40 signs,30 signs (and 30 painted on the road)camera signs and a big yellow box in full view,and they still go blazing through,idiots shouldn't get a penny back.

By the way I'm no saint,I like to go for a blast,but I do stick to 30 in a 30 zone.
OK - fair point.