Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SOMEBODY HAS DAMAGED MY CAR WHILE TRYING TO PARK!

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 07:31 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOMEBODY HAS DAMAGED MY CAR WHILE TRYING TO PARK!

come back to my car after a day of work to find somebody has damaged my scooby whilst tryin to park. obviously they have left without leaving details for me to contact them becuase the world is full of w**kers. the car park is a council run pay and display. couldnt see any cameras. should i write to the council and complain that there are no cameras and if there were then i could have found the number plate and got the tw*t who did the damage? do you reckon they may pay out something as a gesture of goodwill, or am i just being too hopeful
Old 04 March 2008, 07:51 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

know how you feel.

Me dads car been sitting on the drive for months as hes unable too drive it. Recently he gave me it, only been driving it a couple of weeks. Had a few refesher lessons only recently started driving it on my own.

Left it parked in asda car park once.

Washed it today & found a load of blue paint on the rear bumper. After closer inspection found the cracks

Day before i had my refresher lesson a few weeks ago i cleaned it and there wasnt a mark on it. I havnt crashed into anything, never been in the situation where iv had too park it, only used it too drop me dad off then bring it home.

So some one has either done it as its been parked on my drive. Or its happened the one time i have parked and left it in a car park.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 04 March 2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: e
Old 04 March 2008, 07:58 PM
Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Write to them and complain there are no SWAT teams on standby. If there were they could have intervened
Old 04 March 2008, 08:19 PM
turbogav
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate, and sorry to disappoint you further but there is no way a council would pay out for any damage incurred. Half the problem is that as modern cars have got bigger, standard parking bay markings haven't got any bigger often leaving a ridiculously small amount of room to manouvere, only takes one feckwit to come along and end up with damage to your car
Old 04 March 2008, 10:53 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday.

I drive a little 4x4, and I had to park next to another one yesterday in my local supermarket car park.

I could not fail to notice as i parked that the neighbouring vehicle hadn't parked it their white lines very well. I made a note of the reg plate just in case...

I came out of the store and the car had gone - but had left a nice streak of silver and a scratch on my otherwise pristine black paintwork

Now if my mobile phone hadnt chosen to die, I could have taken a photo of the car before I went in to do my shopping - but having to use my dads brick of a phone whilst mine is being repaired, this wasn't an option. I know all it will take is a bit of t-cut and perhaps some rubbing compound, but I would love to be able to point out some driving etiquette to this other person.

It does bleddy annoy me - i take the time and effort to ensure that I am parked properly - why can't others do the same thing?
Old 05 March 2008, 12:47 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Similar thing happened to me yesterday.

I drive a little 4x4, and I had to park next to another one yesterday in my local supermarket car park.

I could not fail to notice as i parked that the neighbouring vehicle hadn't parked it their white lines very well. I made a note of the reg plate just in case...

I came out of the store and the car had gone - but had left a nice streak of silver and a scratch on my otherwise pristine black paintwork

Now if my mobile phone hadnt chosen to die, I could have taken a photo of the car before I went in to do my shopping - but having to use my dads brick of a phone whilst mine is being repaired, this wasn't an option. I know all it will take is a bit of t-cut and perhaps some rubbing compound, but I would love to be able to point out some driving etiquette to this other person.

It does bleddy annoy me - i take the time and effort to ensure that I am parked properly - why can't others do the same thing?

Just phone police sayin u where leaving the store and u where heading towards our car, u saw it rock and alarm went off u just got there to take the cars reg and noticed damage. see what they say
Old 05 March 2008, 02:10 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I'd rather the Police be bothered with real crimes rather than a bit of suffed paint.
Old 05 March 2008, 03:07 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
I'd rather the Police be bothered with real crimes rather than a bit of suffed paint.

But they aint, use there desire to hammer the motorist to your advantage
Old 05 March 2008, 03:46 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
But they aint, use there desire to hammer the motorist to your advantage
I understand the Highway Police are in a different division to the local "Bobby" which I am assuming you are suggesting the OP calls. These are the Police I am talking about.
Old 05 March 2008, 08:15 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Police won't be interested in the slightest. I was parked near a police station about 6 years ago and came back to find a scratch all down one side, with a transit pick-up in the space behind with my paint all down the side of the pick-up bed! workman just ignored me when I asked him so i went and got a copper - he took the details and paint samples off the side of the pick-up and my car.

Nothing happened. I chased and chased said copper (when I rang he was always either out or on holiday) - eventually I caught up with him and he gave me some sh1te about his inspector not wanting to spend his budget testing the paint. ****.

G
Old 05 March 2008, 08:25 AM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default WHAT!

I understand the Highway Police are in a different division to the local "Bobby" which I am assuming you are suggesting the OP calls. These are the Police I am talking about.
So when ye call the police they ask would you like a normal 'bobby' or traffic division?
A crime a crime they committed one and drove off from the scene, really pisses me off when people say 'I wish they would catch real criminals' a crimes a crime and if you commit one then you should at least be talked to.
Old 05 March 2008, 10:10 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Chances are the car that hit you may be a regular at the car park?
See if you can asses the colour of the car from your damage then look for a damaged car in that colour over the next couple of days. If you cant asses the colour just look for a car with damage consistant with the damage to your car.

If it was me that hit your car and I was a regular at the car park - I would be parking a level or 2 away from your car for a while, so you might have to prowl the car park a bit !

If you find it, wait for the owner or leave a nice little message on the screen saying the police have been informed and are treating it as a hit & run and leave your number. Should **** them up enough to get in touch.
Old 05 March 2008, 11:04 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scousefly
So when ye call the police they ask would you like a normal 'bobby' or traffic division?
A crime a crime they committed one and drove off from the scene, really pisses me off when people say 'I wish they would catch real criminals' a crimes a crime and if you commit one then you should at least be talked to.
A crime is a crime only if it's proven in court. Regardles of one's feelings about a "scuffed" paint job being the "crime of the century", it's petty and the Police, IMO, are just in ignoring it.
Old 05 March 2008, 11:24 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Had something like this just before Christmas. Park up, come back, nice dent in front wing. No note left, nothing. Chances of finding the vermin that did it? Somewhere between fat chance and no chance.
As far as I'm concernerd the s**t that did it has stolen (yes, stolen) £125 from me, as that's how much the repair cost. Insurance? Don't make me laugh, as the excess I'd have had to pay was more than the cost of the repair.
Old 05 March 2008, 11:27 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I'd rather my car dented than my face, although I could not get any uglier with some additional "massages" with someone's fist.

It's a car, an inanimate object. People do not respect life, let alone inanimate objects. This is where people's values are misplaced.
Old 05 March 2008, 11:37 AM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

with your attitude klaatu the whole country would be drivivng around in **** cars and wouldnt care about crashing into things, like they do in india! that would be great wouldnt it? or is india your home country??
Old 05 March 2008, 11:45 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

LOL No, I live in Australia, originally a South Londoner. It's interesting you compare my opinions about cars and how people live in other contries, I assume from your post you've been to India? I haven't, but I have been to Africa many times, and their values are a little different I agree. I still don't see your PoV (Regarding cars), and you don't appreciate mine either.

My point is people hold so much "wealth/value" in their car(s), to the point they disrespect personal wealth/values, I am not talking in monetary terms. Meaning, they care more for a car than anything! That, my friend, is sad.
Old 05 March 2008, 12:16 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I saw someone do it to mine, managed to see him inspect the damage and get into his car. Banged on the window and made him stop and give me details. Went to the Police too who went and had a word as an RTA and the guy paid up (although he t-cutted the door without asking me first).

Regarding that 4x4 i would go to the police and say you witnessed it but couldn't catch them up.

Nothing to lose.

5t.
Old 05 March 2008, 12:26 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

All the time we "focus" on the car, which TBH in the UK will be a rust bucket in 5 years, we forget the important stuff, like looking after an old lady passed out in a supermarket!
Old 05 March 2008, 01:31 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

And you'd feel the same if it was your car mate? No need to ring the police. Do you have motor legal protection on your insurance? If so ring them and explain what happened. A similar thing happened to me couple of years back. Eventually the guy admitted fault and his insurance coughed up. It was only a bit of a scuff but the repair bill was £450! Why the hell should you have to pay for someone elses mistake?
Old 05 March 2008, 01:47 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Damage to my car in preference to my body, my pserson, or any family member or friend, then yes, I will gladly accept that damage.

It's just a car. Sooner we "lift" the weight of these "crimes" off the Police, we might achieve a better society. Nah, people, like you, prefer to protect your cars. Shame.
Old 05 March 2008, 01:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Crashing ito someones car and leaving the scene is a REAL crime !!
Old 05 March 2008, 02:01 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Crashing ito someones car and leaving the scene is a REAL crime !!
Crashing? It's a parking scuff in a private carpark, like at a shopping centre. It's a "crime" if it's provable in court. Don't waste your time or the Police on these matters.
Old 05 March 2008, 02:07 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

You seem to have missed the point klaatu. No one said anything about damaging anyone or anyones family member. As I allready said Its not strictly necesary to involve the police. At most the guy will need a crime reference no which is given by someone on a non emergency line in a call centre, not even a police officer. You couldn't write your name on your motor could you? Just incase i bump into it so i know not to bother leaving my details. Wouldn't want to put the police out
Old 05 March 2008, 02:18 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

And, typically with the intellectually challenged, you miss the point totally. The vitriol administred to "people" who consider damage to cars is unimporatant. Property, a car, is held in higher "value" than the person, hence lesser peoples get uppity when their "motah is scratched".
Old 05 March 2008, 02:33 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

The guy wasn't given a choice between car or person. That was just something you decided was relevant. Yes a car is just an object, a possesion that can be replaced. Life cannot be. But we arernt talking about a carjacking or 'Give me your keys or the wife gets it'. We are talking about a car park prang. But then in your eyes I am intellectually challenged because i would be upset if 'My motah' was damaged and would persue the offender for damages.
Old 05 March 2008, 02:45 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JONNY_693
The guy wasn't given a choice between car or person. That was just something you decided was relevant. Yes a car is just an object, a possesion that can be replaced. Life cannot be. But we arernt talking about a carjacking or 'Give me your keys or the wife gets it'. We are talking about a car park prang. But then in your eyes I am intellectually challenged because i would be upset if 'My motah' was damaged and would persue the offender for damages.
If you view a "car park prang" as a crime, then yeah you are a moron, or the other phrase!
Old 05 March 2008, 03:54 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Crashing? It's a parking scuff in a private carpark, like at a shopping centre. It's a "crime" if it's provable in court. Don't waste your time or the Police on these matters.
How do you know its just a scuff ?? Also this still costs to get repaired ?? So if I was to walk up to your car stick my foot in the rear 1/4 and leave you would not see this as a criminal act??? In a car its even worse !
Old 05 March 2008, 04:01 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

If you view a "car park prang" as a crime
an acident in a vehicle isn't a crime! Driving off after it without leaving any details is and carries about 6 points maybe more ??
Old 05 March 2008, 04:07 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

dont feel the trolls

Quick Reply: SOMEBODY HAS DAMAGED MY CAR WHILE TRYING TO PARK!