How do you actually sell a car?

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2008, 02:19 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you actually sell a car?

Hello

In my long and apparently rather sheltered life I haven't ever sold a car privately. I am just about to advertise my Supra this weekend and have a couple of questions:

What do you ask for when someone wants a test drive? I would expect them to bring their driving licence (that I would ask them to leave with my wife whilst test driving) and insurance certificate? I'm not happy with letting someone else drive my car, but I'll have to get over that I guess!

Payment? Bankers cheque? Bank Transfer? Briefcase full of used £20 notes and a kilo of cocaine?

Any general advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01 March 2008, 02:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have never sold a car privately myself, but I like the idea of them bringing their licence and you keeping it whilst they test-drive. I suggest that you can demonstrate the drive yourself too, in addition to them testing it themselves. I suggest you ask them to bring their insurance details as well, in case they cause any damage to your car whilst test-driving. Payment can be in any form- cheque, cash, bank transfer etc. Any payment you take, let it clear it first, before they take the car away.
Old 01 March 2008, 02:39 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Insurance is a tricky thing on test-drives..... If you knowingly let an uninsured driver test it "....its only round the block mate, We wont have any trouble" then YOU are liable to be charged as well as the testdriver.
People supplying their own certificate which covers them to drive other cars not belonging to them will be insured Third Party Only, so if they prang your car on the drive, YOU are out of pocket. But, its a bit much to expect people to arrange comprehensive insurance for a 20 minute test.

Payment? For any significant amount, make sure the deal is done on a weekday during banking hours. Pay the cash into your account before handing over the car to avoid false notes, or do a bank transfer on the spot.
Bankers drafts,although better than cheques, are easilly forgeable and stealable and still take a few days to clear.

It used to be advised never to do a deal in an independant location (carpark etc) to prevent you being ambushed and robbed, but nowadays its often advised not to let prospective buyers know where you live incase they come and steal the car....Just use common sense I would say.
Old 01 March 2008, 02:48 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Insurance is a must if they are not covered to drvie then you can drive for them so they can get a feel for it but unless they are actually covered don't let them.
Licence especially photocard would hopefully prove who they are & where they live.
As far as paying goes it all depends on how much money is involved, direct money transfer is a good one, cheque is fine but no car until it clears but you could drop it at their place but keep the keys until cleared, cash but you would want to take it to the bank straight away to have it checked as you cash it in and so on.

If they bring a friend with them and you all go out for a test drive do not under any circumstances get out the car without taking the keys with you as it has been known for people to trick drivers so to steal their cars.

HTH.
Old 01 March 2008, 03:11 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

as you're selling a nice car, expect a lot of chancers dreamers and maybe the odd test pilot as well.

I had several less than pleasent experiences when selling some of my more sought after cars. Make it clear in the ad that none of the above are welcome.

Do the same for all scammers. Anyone asking you to take a cheque for 5K more than the asking price and you send back the difference should be told to jog on.

Also be on the look out for companies ringing you up and offering to advertise your car on your behalf in return for a fee. usually they just take your money and then you get a "some you win some you lose" letter. If anyone like that calls up, tell em to get knotted.

Also, dont even think about advertising in he free ad papers. I did a while back and the scum that turned up were beyond belief. While I was taking the "prospective" buyer on the test drive, one of his hoodrat friends took a **** in next doors garden!

best of luck with the sale, just make sure you advertise in selective enthusiast sites and dont take no **** when it comes to the mechanics of actually handing over keys for cash. You can usually spot a genuine customer a mile off, just keep reassuring yourself that the right buyer is out there.
astraboy.
P.S. I like supras, any chance of a picture?
Old 01 March 2008, 04:18 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
P.S. I like supras, any chance of a picture?
Thank you all for the advice.

A picture from a little while ago ... (Balloon is an optional extra)

And one from now:

Steve

Last edited by boxst; 01 March 2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01 March 2008, 06:03 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Good grief -- I put the car on Ebay at 17:30 and I've had 5 messages from muppets already.

Edit: And some questions from what seems like reasonable people. That was quick.

Steve

Last edited by boxst; 01 March 2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01 March 2008, 07:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let them have a drive but in that I would drive, you can tell most things from the passengers seat, probably more than when driving, perhaps a quick go up the road to check they can reach everything.

Payment, pound notes or a cheque but dont let the car go until its confirmed funds in your bank, ditto any other non cash method, I have never had any snide notes but a money checker isnt a bad idea, it might sound racist but my trader mate says the only bad cash he has had was of Asian buyers, it happened 3 times and three times it was Asian guys so make of that what you will.

Make sure you get a home address, home phone and some background, if it doesn't feel right bail the f*ck out, I pick up vibes and little facts they divulge about themselves, generally the buyer depends on the type of car, you will indeed as has been said get some right cretins for any performance car, the faster it is the bigger the *********.

So contrary to the normal advice, seller beware !
Old 01 March 2008, 08:22 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A the joys of selling a car My experiences of selling cars has been timewasters, no shows and tyre kickers.

Nothing better than wasting an entire saturday waiting for someone to turn up and they never do.

I always have a mate with me when anyone comes to view any car that I'm selling, I had 5 ******** turn up once to view a vectra I was selling and when I told them there was no way I was going to let them test drive the car without me in it they threatened to "**** me up big time" I was sh1tting my pants at the time though
Old 01 March 2008, 08:24 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

test drive with only 1000 cash atleast in hand, if dont like car you hand it straight back, i sell a few cossies and bikes etc i allways stiplulate cash in hand or something along those lines, failing that i take them out for drive and show them through the car if there reasonable people they wont have a problem with this atall, if it was a ford mondeo etc its diff but sporty stuff i always do. payment by cash or bank draught with passport or driving licence etc (take photocopy) again explain theres many fake draughts about and your being carefull, if there genuine they wont have a probelm atall with this, you will prob get a few trade calls asking whats the least you will take, reply with whats the most you will pay? shuts them straight up, then explain open to reasonable offers and tell them to come have a look, gotta get them there and looking then talk money.
Old 01 March 2008, 10:06 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

i would take them out for the test drive myself and then let them drive it on a very quiet area of road. Also get him to leave his car keys with the wife as security.
Old 01 March 2008, 10:18 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Bit OTT fella

TX.

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
Also get him to leave his car keys & the wife as security.
Old 03 March 2008, 04:40 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. I put an advert in Pistonheads today as well. Hopefully not too many silly questions and 'chancers' on there.

We will see.

Steve
Old 03 March 2008, 04:46 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Prepare to have several calls from people like "cardata". They will typically tell you that they "have buyers waiting to see your car" and for £70 they will guarantee to sell your car in a week".

The correct response to this harrassment is to tell them to go and **** thier disease ridden mothers up the gary.
Old 03 March 2008, 04:54 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Prepare to have several calls from people like "cardata". They will typically tell you that they "have buyers waiting to see your car" and for £70 they will guarantee to sell your car in a week".

The correct response to this harrassment is to tell them to go and **** thier disease ridden mothers up the gary.
Well, they have this 'phone protection' thing so hopefully not. Although it may put people off calling as it is 37.5p/minute. The email works though.

Steve
Old 03 March 2008, 05:05 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Looks alright

1998 TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 TWIN TURBO BLACK on eBay, also, Toyota, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 11-Mar-08 17:31:21 GMT)

You should put more pics and a better description though.
Old 03 March 2008, 05:06 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Buying and selling a car can be a total lottery and you will be disappointed over and over again by people not turning up or clearly not being truly interested.

Just last weekend I sold my Impreza for £6500. It was advertised at £6700 and a guy phoned up and arranged to come and see it from Oban. I agreed and nipped out to wash it and 2.5h later he arrived with his wife/lass. I took it out the car port and showed them around it pointing out the recent repair work following the uninsured idiot foreign driver incident - I decided it was best to be up front about this. He poked around a bit but by no means carefully inspected the car - just an external casting over of the eye.

He then said, "would you take £6500 for it?" and at that a sale was concluded without me even taking him out in it or him driving it. He hadn't even seen it moving or blipped the throttle. I was simply amazed!!!!! He paid with 130 £50 notes and they are now securely banked in my account. Off he drove, apparently happy with his new purchase and I stood in mild shock as he left. I kind of wish the car was a lemon as he was the dream buyer and despite the MASSIVE risks he took he got a very nice car at a fair price!
Old 03 March 2008, 05:13 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

oh the joys of reselling a car

i had entire possees of wikkid asian males to look at my wrx
one of whom was i kid you not 17 yrs old
when i told him there was no way he could get insurance on a jdm wrx he said he had had 3 scoobs allready
nothing but trouble
Old 03 March 2008, 05:20 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

When i bought my Supra i used day insure so i had fully comp for the test drive. cost me about a tenner.

5t.
Old 03 March 2008, 06:38 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Well, they have this 'phone protection' thing so hopefully not. Although it may put people off calling as it is 37.5p/minute. The email works though.

Steve
I sold a car last weekend (not in the same league as yours mind!). I stuck it on Autotrader and pistonheads with phone protection, all the phone calls i got were genuine but had loads of Emails trying to con me. You'll spot them a mile off mind, they're that bad!
Old 03 March 2008, 06:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SB, what are you getting or have you had a bad run ?
Old 03 March 2008, 06:56 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Buying and selling a car can be a total lottery and you will be disappointed over and over again by people not turning up or clearly not being truly interested.

Just last weekend I sold my Impreza for £6500. It was advertised at £6700 and a guy phoned up and arranged to come and see it from Oban. I agreed and nipped out to wash it and 2.5h later he arrived with his wife/lass. I took it out the car port and showed them around it pointing out the recent repair work following the uninsured idiot foreign driver incident - I decided it was best to be up front about this. He poked around a bit but by no means carefully inspected the car - just an external casting over of the eye.

He then said, "would you take £6500 for it?" and at that a sale was concluded without me even taking him out in it or him driving it. He hadn't even seen it moving or blipped the throttle. I was simply amazed!!!!! He paid with 130 £50 notes and they are now securely banked in my account. Off he drove, apparently happy with his new purchase and I stood in mild shock as he left. I kind of wish the car was a lemon as he was the dream buyer and despite the MASSIVE risks he took he got a very nice car at a fair price!
Rare species. He should be captured, studied, a found a suitable breeding partner in order to prevent extinction.

I'd like to think I don't **** about when looking at cars, but I do a little - as I go over everything with a fine tooth comb, test drive, and barter. But I will always turn up at the arranged time (and call back if I can't) and after looking, I will always give a straight yes or no answer.

No, I'll think about it, or maybe or I just go to the bank etc.

Now if someone would just do that with that ruddy Celica I have with grass growing round it.
Old 03 March 2008, 07:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
SB, what are you getting or have you had a bad run ?
I'm getting married mate! That car is paying for 100+ people to stuff their faces and laugh at me dancing
Old 03 March 2008, 07:16 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

P.S. 1 day insurance (underwritten by NU) Short Term Car and Van Insurance from dayinsure.com for £10 if they're serious and want to test drive it.
Old 11 March 2008, 11:23 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

My auction is just about to finish, and it wont hit the reserve price. I had some bizarre questions though:

The obvious, do you ship to xxx country in Europe?

Asking the size of something intimate of mine as the spoiler is so big on my car

And my favourite, someone asking if they can come and testdrive, bring their sister and if she stays with me while he test drives if he'd get a better price. I did reply asking for pictures, but didn't get a response

Steve
Old 11 March 2008, 11:33 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Keep an eye out until the very last minute: Things can get a bit manic during the last 30 seconds. Especially if a few people have some auction snipers on the go.
Old 11 March 2008, 11:44 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I've sold about 8 cars privately this past 10 years or so and I've never let anyone drive them, I just take them round the block.

Always make sure the car is cleaned and presented well, be honest about any issues and keep an eye out for messers - I've been lucky and usually sold to the first viewers (except the 73 Beetle we sold, that took a while due to rot etc).

If you accept cash/draft, go to your bank with the buyer and pay the cash straight in.
Old 11 March 2008, 01:01 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

I sold my scooby last year, and it was the first time id ever sold a car privately. I think i was lucky, as the first phone call i received was a lad from Nottingham, and he turned up the following day like he said he would.
He was a sound lad, that was very genuine, and after having a good luck at the car and a chat over a brew, he said he defiantly wanted it for the asking price too

So we struck a deal whereby he'd order the cash from the bank (it normally takes a few days to order 6/7K) and come back with it, and then after it was deposited in my bank, he could then take the car (he left a £250 deposit with me too).

I let him have a drive when he looked at it tho, as he was genuine (tell you what i had to tell him to put his foot down as he was crapping it ), you will get a gut feeling as to the person, as i wouldn't of let any old muppet drive it

As said before tho, make sure its just been waxed and is looking tip-top if you want top dollar

God i mis that car sooooooooooo much now tho
Old 11 March 2008, 01:34 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

LOL at some of the comments, I once had someone phone up at 2am asking if I could sell him one of the wheels, he didn't need the tyre..

Most of my cars have been sold to young lads, mainly because mine were up for under £4k - of the viewers, the ones that actually bought them you can tell pretty much straight away that they are genuine buyers. IME genuine young buyers turn up with a mate as a second level head and are usually the ones to confirm they can't test drive due to lack of insurance.

The only car I have sold for around £10k was the Westfield, you only get a certain type of buyer turn up, all very gentlemanly and I threw him the keys with a "bend it buy it" policy

Reading Kennys experience, a friend of mine was selling a crappy Rover 214 for £400, willing to accept £350. It was fine mechanically, but my mate knew that the heater fan only worked on settings 1 and 4 as was really worried that people woundn't buy it on the back of this Anyway the only couple to even show an interest turned up, looked the car over for 5 mins before knocking on the door - said they'll take it for full asking, handed over cash and drove it away
Old 11 March 2008, 01:37 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Find a buyer.

Quick Reply: How do you actually sell a car?