Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for heating engineers\plumbers

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2008, 09:34 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for heating engineers\plumbers

I have ripped out our old electric shower while doing up the bathroom. We have fitted a bath and i want to put in an over bath shower. I want the shower to work straight of the mains water rather than through an electric unit. Problem is, the pressure in the hot taps is **** poor and just not enough for a shower.
Question's are:

1- Can i adjust the hot water pressure back at the combi boiler? There is a gauge reading 1.5bar at the moment but i think thats the boiler pressure rather than whats in the hot taps.

2- Can an Electric pump be fitted in line when using a combi boiler?

Feel free to add any other options. And do say just fit an Electric shower
Old 28 February 2008, 09:39 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Fit an electric / power shower
Old 28 February 2008, 09:41 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Fit an electric / power shower
Is that a bolt on the wall jobby? Remember we just fitted a bath so not going to rip it out and build another cubicle.
Old 28 February 2008, 10:29 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Any halfway decent plumber should be able to hoy the power unit next to your immersion tank and run pipework up thru roof and down into bathroom.

Get yourself a wall mounted control unit like this - saves ripping tiles off / walls down

Aqualisa Aquarian Mixer Shower & Varispray kit in Chrome
Old 29 February 2008, 12:10 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Your plumbing is screwed. Or somthing is!

If you have a combi boiler, all taps should be at mains pressure...both hot and cold. Loads to run a shower!

(and that guage on the boiler has nothing to do with your tap water pressure--- its the pressure in the central heating).

Unless you have a problem with the pressure of your mains water - where all your cold taps dribble pathetically as well (even downstairs).

Or you've mistaken a sealed system that uses a conventional boiler and hot water tank for a combi and you actually have a gravity fed system, not a combi boiler - In which case the higher the water outlet (as in the case of the shower) the lower the pressure, thus the need for a booster pump.
Old 29 February 2008, 03:55 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

You could try something like a Trevi boost. It uses the mains pressure of the cold supply to pressurise the hot supply inside the unit and hey presto, off we go. I have one myself which works well, my hot cylinder is on the first floor and a light pressure with a finger is enough to stop hot water coming out from the bathroom taps.
Kevin

I should perhaps mention that the Trevi is a shower unit and not a seperate pump unit

Last edited by c_maguire; 29 February 2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01 March 2008, 10:21 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Your plumbing is screwed. Or somthing is!

If you have a combi boiler, all taps should be at mains pressure...both hot and cold. Loads to run a shower!

(and that guage on the boiler has nothing to do with your tap water pressure--- its the pressure in the central heating).

Unless you have a problem with the pressure of your mains water - where all your cold taps dribble pathetically as well (even downstairs).

Or you've mistaken a sealed system that uses a conventional boiler and hot water tank for a combi and you actually have a gravity fed system, not a combi boiler - In which case the higher the water outlet (as in the case of the shower) the lower the pressure, thus the need for a booster pump.
The pressure in the cold taps is massive, if the hot tap was even half as powerful we would have a cracking shower i can tell u. Also we are ground floor only so i could'nt see it being the gravity fed system u mentioned. Its looking more and more like a problem with the actual boiler
Old 01 March 2008, 10:40 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, If its definetly a combnation boiler (no hot water tank), then there must be a issue somewhere. Pressure should be the same as the cold taps (although flow is less - should be at the very least be above 8 litres a minute - most are 10l/min plus)

Either a valve is not fully opened somewhere in the flat, or on the boiler itself (some do have islotaing valves). Or something more serious like a kinked pipe, dodgy flow regulator in the boiler, or the heat exchanger has scaled up.
Old 02 March 2008, 01:36 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

There is no hot water tank, the markings are still on the wall where the old tank used to be. From what u have said i reckon its going to be a problem with the boiler, i'll need to have a look around for anything obvious.
Old 02 March 2008, 02:21 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

its a Ferroli Boiler
Model-Modena 80 E

I googled it but cant find anything about adjusting hot tap pressure