one for the SN Dog lovers :)

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2008, 12:02 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question one for the SN Dog lovers :)

We have been to see a minature poodle for a family pet Long story

Very cute but we can't find the breeder anywhere on the kennel club website... The owners claim it has a registered name etc.

and at £750 for a puppy we would like to know if it's a pedigree

Poodleholics Anonymous! :: View topic - Babies now 3 weeks old

Cheers

Shaun
Old 02 March 2008, 08:47 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a proper pedigree it will be registered with the KC and will have been given its proper KC official name ( normally something daft like Starbucks Elbow Wangle at Bobs Kennels ). The breeder should also have the KC certificate of registration to give to you, and you will be able to check the family tree of the dog, history of illnesses, show results etc...

If they dont have any of this, run away as it isnt a pedigree, could have come from any dodgy stock ( doesnt mean its a bad or unhealthy dog, but you wont know one way or another ).

It is possible that the breeder selling the dog isnt the person registered with the KC though. If the breeder works for a kennel, then it could be registered through them.

Best thing to do is to ring the KC on monday and ask them to check.
Old 02 March 2008, 10:59 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Depends how long ago they were registered, i've found the Kennel Club are not known for there speed when registering dogs, it may be they just have'nt updated there records yet.
Old 02 March 2008, 11:36 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

why a poodle?
Old 02 March 2008, 12:21 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

my mother had two poodles when i was a kid, and not to put you off they are most noisey little dogs you could ever buy even though they were house trained they wouldnt use the cat flap and do there buisness where they stood, but thats just my opinion.
Old 02 March 2008, 02:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Shaun, nothing more to add than what MikeCardiff has said. If the puppy has come from reputable breeders and has a kennel affix then simply ask them for it. If they are not forthcoming with basic information then walk away.

Bearing in mind the puppies are only 3 weeks old so the KC paperwork might be in transit (ask them) but by 8 weeks old (earliest time you should take a puppy from it's mother), you should be handed the KC registration paperwork and the puppy's kennel name will be on there. You simply send that back to the Kennel Club to get your name on it as the owner and by return comes it's 5 generation pedigree , plus a registration book with your name in with other registered dog owners (for a fee).

As a child I grew up with a Toy Poodle and what a fabulous character he was. The beauty of having a pet dog that didn't shed hair and was incredibly intelligent was great for 15 years.