Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Broadband provider, who's good?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2008, 12:05 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband provider, who's good?

Currently with Orange, but have been having problems, no access for over two weeks now. Their support has been atrocious. I'm going to leave and go elsewhere but having issues getting the MAC number.

So who to go to? I was thinking BT as its their lines etc so I should get a better service in the event of a problem? Any one?
Old 26 February 2008, 12:21 PM
Scoobydiid
Scooby Regular

I am currently with IZR and they are absolutely hopeless, I just had nearly 5 weeks outage, which basically seems to be caused by poor communication as IZR buy from (I think) tiscali, who then buy of BT. I figure if you go direct to BT at least you should be top of the priority list.
I did a survey on one of the online scoring sites and the best for performance, least outage and support seem to be KE connect or IDnet.
Would be very interested in anyone elses experiences.

Andy
Old 26 February 2008, 12:31 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I'm currently with Keconnect (keme).

They are very good - but you do pay through the nose.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:36 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

We're on BT business at w*rk

It's been reliable, so never had to call with any issues. But I don't think its the best value for money out there - I know we pay more than we should for what is just a 2.2MB connection and a load of extra email inboxes.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:36 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Nildram have been fantastic for me.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:51 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Been with PlusNet for the last 3 years, never had a hitch, even put 3 other people on to them who have all had no problems.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:53 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Zen are quite good
Old 26 February 2008, 12:59 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

At work we use eclipse and although they had 12 months of shocking email service its been very good since.

At home I have orange and can't say anything bad tbh. I was with wanadoo who carried on taking my payments when I moved my home to eclipse for 6 months. I ended up making my bank ring their helpline and made my bank sort it out.

I was horrified when I realised Orange is just a re-badged wanadoo but I've never had a problem and the 2 occasions I've had to call they've answered my questions perfectly.
Old 26 February 2008, 01:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Been with PlusNet for the last 3 years, never had a hitch, even put 3 other people on to them who have all had no problems.
Likewise but I am surprised you found them trouble free? They lost a pile of e-mails about a year ago and do seem to have problems with their e-mail platform - but perhaps everyone does. They have been trying out a new Spam filter system which played up but seems OK now. Their technical support is pretty good.

I pay £14.99 per month for 8 GB. I have no idea if that is reasonable? dl
Old 26 February 2008, 01:09 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by r32
Currently with Orange, but have been having problems, no access for over two weeks now. Their support has been atrocious. I'm going to leave and go elsewhere but having issues getting the MAC number.

So who to go to? I was thinking BT as its their lines etc so I should get a better service in the event of a problem? Any one?
I'm with BT and tbh it's ****, need to reboot the modem very regularly, I once had a problem where I couldn't get online, it took 5 phone calls to India to resolve the problem, their tech services are shocking, no where near as bad as Virgin media though!

Unfortunately I'm with them in contract for another 6 months though
Old 26 February 2008, 01:15 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Likewise but I am surprised you found them trouble free? They lost a pile of e-mails about a year ago and do seem to have problems with their e-mail platform - but perhaps everyone does. They have been trying out a new Spam filter system which played up but seems OK now. Their technical support is pretty good.

I pay £14.99 per month for 8 GB. I have no idea if that is reasonable? dl
I don't use their mail services, I run my own mail server. One of the reasons I like them is because I get a static IP address. None of the other people I have set up with it have had a problem.

I pay £13.99 a month for 10Gb but you also get extra free for use over night which is handy for doing big downloads!
Old 26 February 2008, 02:04 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I am with AOL (listens for the cries of disgust!) and have not had any problems. Although that might be because I have not been migrated to the Carphone Warehouse platform yet!

From the AOL Broadband boards it appears that at the end of the day many of the problems with broadband are due to line problems. Therefore if you have a problem with one company you are likely to keep that problem if you move to a new provider.

As mentioned it would seem obvious that with BT cables you'd be better off with BT as an ISP. In theory of course they are suppossed to be totally different companies and if you had evidence to show they favoured their own ISPs customers over other ISPs customers I am sure Oftel and the other ISPs would want it! However if I was changing I would consider BT for that reason.

However whilst contemplating changing your ISP also look at moving your phone calls like. Likely to get a better package if you move both the broadband and calls.
Old 26 February 2008, 02:09 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I have been with Virgin for 4 months and have 4mg and landline phone connection for £25 quid.
Old 26 February 2008, 02:18 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Everyone slags them off but no problems with NTL/Virgin in the last 3-4 years
Old 26 February 2008, 03:06 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I've never had an outage problem with BT, but over the past few months its been getting slower and slower. Peak times in the evening on busy sites like this is like having a 56k modem.

Considering we pay something like £22 per month for a 2MB connection that is never anything like that, I cant wait to be in a position to change it.
Old 26 February 2008, 03:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Been with BT now for over 5 years at home.

Never a problem at all.
Old 26 February 2008, 03:44 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I'm with Be Unlimited. £15 per month for 8Mb/s and no limits. You can get up to 24 Mb/s if you pay £18.
Old 26 February 2008, 04:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i jsut signed up to birgin, the max connection, can't complain at all, been very good so far