Damn Drunk Drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2008, 08:18 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn Drunk Drivers!

Had an interesting evening after work.

Stopped off at the local Tesco petrol station to grab some food, as I start to get out of the car I hear this really loud bang, metal against metal - at first I thought something had fallen off a building.

Turn around to see a Mercedes CLK AMG burried into the back of a lorry.

Now the lorry driver was at fault initially as he parked in a really bad spot (right on the corner of a left turn blocking on coming traffic etc). But when we looked at how the Merc was burried into the back of the lorry and no skid marks, it was obvious the driver hadn't even attempted at braking.

When the driver got out, you could smell the alchohol off him. He staggered over and I thought he is probably in shock but realised he was staggering because that's how drunk he was. Has the cheek to ask if myself and a few other people help him push the car out.

I got a bit suspicious, smelt the achohol on him and thought this guy is trying to drive off - highly unlikely as the Merc was totalled, the entire engine area was crumpled up agaist the lower part of the lorry with oil pissing out everywhere.

When I said he should call the police and his insurance company the guy got very reluctant so I thought ***** it and called the coppers and use them for once. Sure enough police came quickly as a few other people had reported him.

The police had a 2 minute conversation with the Merc driver and cuffed him and put him in the back of their car - serves the guy right. I think the police were not too impressed with the lorry driver (Lithuanian, barely spoke english) due to the way he had parked.

After the lorry got moved, you could see the whole front of the Merc had just been turned into a rectangle box of mangled metal. I very nearly smacked the drunk driver, what if the guy was driving like that as someone is crossing, would have been a different story.. I really hate people like that, they should be permenantly banned from driving.

So thats about it, I feel like a superhero for about 5 minutes and wish that one of these dosy *******s doesn't crash into me next time.
Old 14 February 2008, 08:21 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Good on you ... absolutely no time or patience for people who drink and drive.

Top marks...

Get away with it this week... take somebodys family out next
Old 14 February 2008, 08:23 PM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Thankfully it was a truck he went into. Good to know the coppers turned up and the tosser will have his day in court!
Old 14 February 2008, 08:37 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

welldone m8, you could well have saved someone from serious injury or worse in the future if this scumag had continued to drive, imagine if someone was standing behind the lorry waiting to cross.
Old 14 February 2008, 09:16 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pat yourself on the back mate

dont get me started on driving while using the mobile phone, but thats another story
Old 14 February 2008, 09:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Well done mate, and nice to see a non anti police thread (so far)
Had 5 of the dirty DD type people nicked now, and would do another 5 if I could.
Glad it was a lorry he hit, done more damage to his car, and hopefully hurt him more!
Old 14 February 2008, 11:37 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Aye, just finished giving a statement to one of the coppers who was at the accident.

He said when they got him on a breathalizer they were very surprised at how high it was so touch wood, the guy won't be a danger to anyone for a while. I really haven't got the time of day for drunk drivers, my best mate was killed when a drunk driver fell asleep on his steering wheel and plowed into him.
Old 14 February 2008, 11:58 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

well done
more scum off the roads...
Old 15 February 2008, 12:08 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I'm not getting involved in this one for personal reasons. I will say and then go. I would happily kill all drink drivers, very, very slowly. Scum of the earth.
Old 15 February 2008, 12:46 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

So, foreign truckers do have their uses
Old 15 February 2008, 01:10 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

Old 15 February 2008, 06:32 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

He's fooked then, will loose his licience and no car as the insurance won't pay out. If there's damage to the lorry he may have to pay that as well.

Well done BTW.
Old 15 February 2008, 07:29 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I know a guy who smacked his alfa into a lamp-post when he was pissed. Somewhere in the New Forest I think. He ran off into the undergrowth and navigated by the stars. Tosser
Old 15 February 2008, 08:35 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Good work OP ! ( how pi55ed would you have to be not to notice a truck parked in front of you !!! )

I think anyone caught drunk driving should be permenantly banned from the road - none of this 1 or 2 year ban nonsense. Everyone knows you shouldnt drink and drive, so if you do, you arent responsible enough to be allowed the privilege of driving.

And if they got caught driving again while banned, lock them up for a year.
Old 15 February 2008, 10:48 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
I think anyone caught drunk driving should be permenantly banned from the road - none of this 1 or 2 year ban nonsense.
Bans unfortunately don't work that well, many respectable people still drive while banned eg as a result of too many small speeding fines.

In the States they have vehicle sanctions, like impounding your car or clamping it for the duration, but that also has problems as in the time between arrest and court a month later, people hide or sell their cars. They're learning that they need to confiscate the car instantly to have an effect. You can imagine that people on the borderline, eg who win in court, don't like losing their car (and often job) in the meantime.

Drink driving has also been successfully promoted as an evil in the UK, but in many other countries it's still viewed as either a badge of honour to brag about (which it was in the UK 25 yrs ago) or at least a minor inconvenience. A proposal to drop the blood alcohol level from 0.5 to 0.2 brought down the Portuguese govt a few years ago as the wine lobby claimed it would cripple their business, and "tradition" ( ). Another country's research showed that you are more likely to die with a BAC of less than 0.5 than if you'd smoked a joint, but that figure didn't make it to the public either: but the two-year jail sentence for smoking the aforementioned joint got onto the statute books pretty quickly.

The alcohol lobby are pretty powerful at times.
Old 15 February 2008, 11:18 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

I can never understand why people do it.
i know they think they'll never get caught etc but if you don't do it you can't be caught.
Why can't they show any self restraint?
Old 15 February 2008, 11:56 AM
martinbrown
Scooby Regular

Good work to the OP, the police can only function properly with the public's help. The more drink drivers off the road the better it will be for the rest of us

Martin
Old 15 February 2008, 11:57 AM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

It pisses me off too, and again for personal reasons I won't go into.

I saw something very similar a few years back in Edenbridge which is a bit of a scummy area (this part was anyway). It was 1am and 5 of us were coming home from a party, 3 blokes, 2 girls, 4 pissed, one totally sober driver. We stopped for petrol and like the OP, heard a loud bang, crashing of metal, screams and then it all went dark. Some 19 year old scumbag from the ****ty local estate had just left a party 400 metres up the road in his Phase 1 RS Turbo and gone straight through a red light at some traffic lights, hit a car almost head on coming the other way (with kids in it) and flew through the air into the petrol station forecourt taking out a lamp post in the meantime.

Other car passengers were ok and when we ran back to rip the door open on the RS, the guy was just sitting there smiling...and then we smelt the fumes. It took all we had not to rip the guy limb from limb as the kids in the other car were very shocked, and then to top it all...he went to light a cigarette with petrol everywhere on a petrol station forecourt! The guys mates arrived who were walking home from the party and by now we were giving the guy some serious grief, and thought we were in big trouble as there were about 15 of them (all short ***** though), but after calming us down actually agreed the guy was a **** and waited with us until the police arrived. Petrol station staff claimed they didn't see anything even though car was virtually embedded in their shop...gang culture in that part of town and they were obviously worried about reprisals...I heard later, the kid got 18 month ban and had the car on HP, loosing £5k.
Old 15 February 2008, 12:03 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

you really cocked up there. You should have helped him with his cigarette.
Old 15 February 2008, 12:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Well done to the OP.

A drunk in any car is scary, in an AMG.....well....

Lets hope he gets hammered for this!!

Ns04
Old 15 February 2008, 12:51 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Be very wary about saying he didnt brake, due to the lack of skid marks.
Most cars these days have ABS and there wont be skid marks!
Old 15 February 2008, 12:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My list of involvement with them is something like this....

1/ car with no lights in middle of road in rain storm, I stopped behind at a safe distance, it suddenly starts, weaves off up the road, down the other side of the hill into a brand new parked Mazda, then drives off. 999, driver traced, arrested, 2 year ban

2/ working at a social club, verbally abused by a member who was drinking heavily and offered me a drink, I refused, he got irrate. Saw him getting something from a Range Rover. Tipped the local police off, gave an estimated departure time, voila, routine stop = 2 year ban

3/ Almost hit by drunk driver while out walking, mounted pavement in front of me by about 20-30ft. I had stopped seconds before to watch a merc speed up a road which had just had speed humps installed. Took out a lampost, bus stop, fence, and finished in a tree. Followed him while on phone to 999, picked up and arrested, outcome unknown.

4/ Merc 190 in peckham driving down the middle of the road almost side swiping me a couple of times. As he approached an island I backed off, BANG. hit, mounted and grounded the car.
Helped him out, realised he was pissed, and sat him on a wall while I called "recovery" for him

Dont like drink drivers much at all.
There is more but less involvement in those one.

Just the tip of the iceberg for the amount of things I find myself in the middle of, and still got rejected from the Met lol

Good on anyone who takes the responsibility to get involved in matters like this. Your efforts DO make a difference.
Old 15 February 2008, 01:08 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

1/ car with no lights in middle of road in rain storm, I stopped behind at a safe distance, it suddenly starts, weaves off up the road, down the other side of the hill into a brand new parked Mazda, then drives off. 999, driver traced, arrested, 2 year ban

2/ working at a social club, verbally abused by a member who was drinking heavily and offered me a drink, I refused, he got irrate. Saw him getting something from a Range Rover. Tipped the local police off, gave an estimated departure time, voila, routine stop = 2 year ban

3/ Almost hit by drunk driver while out walking, mounted pavement in front of me by about 20-30ft. I had stopped seconds before to watch a merc speed up a road which had just had speed humps installed. Took out a lampost, bus stop, fence, and finished in a tree. Followed him while on phone to 999, picked up and arrested, outcome unknown.

4/ Merc 190 in peckham driving down the middle of the road almost side swiping me a couple of times. As he approached an island I backed off, BANG. hit, mounted and grounded the car.
Helped him out, realised he was pissed, and sat him on a wall while I called "recovery" for him

Just the tip of the iceberg for the amount of things I find myself in the middle of, and still got rejected from the Met lol

Good on anyone who takes the responsibility to get involved in matters like this. Your efforts DO make a difference.
You don't think somebody is trying kill you by any chance do you? Ex wife?
Old 15 February 2008, 02:12 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Be very wary about saying he didnt brake, due to the lack of skid marks.
Most cars these days have ABS and there wont be skid marks!
Aye good point but the police also believed he had made no attempt at stopping, supposidly hit the lorry at 40 to 50 mph.

You have your drunk drivers but what about people who are sober? On my way back to work from a lunch break, we come up to a junction only to see the results of some woman who had not given way to her right and just pulled out.. nutters.

Should really have signs up everywhere remding people to give way.
Old 15 February 2008, 02:18 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

Damn, sounds like you have as much luck as me! Lol the copper said I should be in the police force after giving him a complete analysis of the accident (I have a phtographic memory).

Reason I hate drunks so much is due to the death of my best mate. We grew up together in the same area living a few streets away from each other. He was really into his motorbikes.

Out on Sunday cruising with a few of his biker mates heading back into Milton Keynes, a drunk driver apparently fell asleep at the steering wheel and ended up in my mates lane.. head on, instant death etc.

Leaves a bitter taste in your mouth when something like that happens but a good reminder why drinking is bad news. When I got out with my mates we always have a designated driver (usually me as I rarely drink due to training etc) or do what we have done lots of times and leave our car parked up somewhere and just walk home.
Old 15 February 2008, 02:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You did well to report him, he deserves all he gets for that one. I personally hope it is a very long ban.

Even though the lorry was badly parked, it is still the driver's responsibility to be able to stop going round a blind corner.

Les
Old 15 February 2008, 02:41 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Well done that man having been the victim of a drunk driver I know what damage they can do!!!!!
Cheers
Colin
Old 15 February 2008, 03:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RussBoy
You don't think somebody is trying kill you by any chance do you? Ex wife?
lol only 1 has come close to costing me my life.

Final, I wont drag it on, but im like something from a Sci-Fi show, just seem to pop up just at the right time. Randomly take an alternative route, delay travel for no reason etc, and suddenly im at the scene of a road accident or something just as it happens.

Dont come near me, trouble always finds me haha

At the end of the day its always nice to come away knowing you did something positive.
First thing I remember doing was hopping in the Thames after a drunk guy fell off Vauxhall Bridge and everyone just watched him floating off down the river lol. Since then,..... im marked.

Shocks me the number of people who dont like getting involved in the simplest of things that they could have a great impact on.
well done again

PS I can say 100% DD is totally avoidable, and choose not to drink alcohol, driving a lot being one of the major reasons
Old 15 February 2008, 05:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If the ABS saved him, how fast ( before braking ) was he going to total his Merc ?
Old 15 February 2008, 07:40 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Nice one. I have no time for drink drivers either, apart from my own views, a good mate of mine lost her sister when she was 15 to a drunk who was on the wrong side of the road and hit her car head on. Drunk was unhurt.

I followed one on the M4 once, giving the Police a running commentary on 999 (handsfree), they thanked me but I have no idea if they caught him. He was weaving across all 3 lanes and the hard shoulder for about 30 miles, making countless people take emergency avoiding action.

Quick Reply: Damn Drunk Drivers!