Old 13 February 2008, 03:25 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post LCD or PLASMA

Hi guys?

Thinking of buying a new LCD or a plasma but I totally don’t know the
Different between them both?! :S can anyone explain what’s the advantages between the both of them, im thinking of buying a 37” up to 42”. What am I meant to look out for ? I’ve been advised to go for a LG or Samsung as they the best in the market at the moment..
Is there anything else that I need to look out for? Your advice & help pls..
Old 13 February 2008, 03:28 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

I was told buy LCD upto 40", over that, you get a better picture with a Plasma. I have a Sony Bravia 40" LCD and its been spot on, runs a hell of a lot cooler than my mates Hitachi 42" Plasma aswell.

You pays your money, you takes your choice. Go have a nose at a few in Comet, see what you think.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Pioneer, Panasonic and Samsung are the best on the market, LCD and Plasma seem to be split over who prefers what, personally hate LCD, thinkt he colours are too fake and awful. Panasonic Plasma all the way for me.

General rule to ois bigger the screen Plasma is better
Old 13 February 2008, 03:30 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Pioneer, Panasonic and Samsung are the best on the market, LCD and Plasma seem to be split over who prefers what, personally hate LCD, thinkt he colours are too fake and awful. Panasonic Plasma all the way for me.

With Dave on this one Panny Plasma any day. Haven't looked back
Old 13 February 2008, 03:31 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Loads of Info here.

Video Components - AVForums

General rule is 42" and above go for Plasma. I have had a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX70PED Plasma for 18 months now and can't fault it.
This can be had for about £750 now.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:32 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Panny 42"

Pioneer if you got the dosh. Sammy as alternative to Panny. Sammys I think are athestically nicer.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:33 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt

Can only echo this.

Beware of the LCD fanboys though, saying they are heavier than your house, use a gazillion watts of energy, last 100 hours and need to be regassed every so often (joke: before anyone starts )
Old 13 February 2008, 03:41 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Panasonic and Samsung are the best. Panasonic has a "professional" line which has the same screen but lacks speakers and some inputs, so this is a good lower cost option if you have a dedicated home theater room where you can use a surround sound system 100% of the time.

Plasma is best for dark rooms. LCDs deal better with glare and work well in more brightly lit spaces.

People like to complain about the screen life of plasmas, but if you work it out, even if you watch hours of TV every day, they'll still last for something like 12 years.
Old 13 February 2008, 04:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

What? Another one? Webby please re-enable the bloody search function for all users!!
Old 13 February 2008, 05:04 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Im looking for something which gives out good results on Gaming, Digi & HD DVD’s. I’ve seen other brands which the screen are not clear at all… Meaning you could clearly see the boxes when the screens being moved around in t.v show.. I don’t mind paying a bit as long as I get quality along with loads of connection ports at the back of it for extra speakers, ps3 a few scart ports along with a few HD connections too
Old 13 February 2008, 05:05 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Ignore the technical differences. Really!

Instead, find yourself a department store with a decent TV section, or maybe an independent TV retailer, and choose with your own eyes. You'll soon tell just by looking which screens you like the look of and which you don't; it's a very subjective thing, so if you like a TV, buy it.

Don't even bother with the big retail chains, though - they have, in my experience, no idea how to set them up, and that makes a huge difference to how the picture looks. I went round looking at all sorts of TVs when my CRT died last year, and my local Comet and Currys did a good job of showing off every conceivable picture defect: some were noisy, others had saturation turned up so high my eyes hurt, others were blocky or showed motion artefacts.

Suspiciously, the only decent pictures in the whole store were in a separate, dedicated, manufacturer-specific area away from the rest. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that these TVs were set up by reps from the manufacturer who know what they're doing.

[edit] In the end I gave up and had my CRT fixed. Although it't not HD, of course, it still delivers the most natural looking picture of any TV I've seen, and it's 8 years old now.
Old 13 February 2008, 05:13 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by OllyK
What? Another one? Webby please re-enable the bloody search function for all users!!
Or just have an Audio-Visual section on here like i have suggested in the past, you get lots of TV, home cinema, speaker, dvd and dvd recorder, sky+ and sky HD questions etc etc. We have a PC section, an AV one would be popular by the amount of posts you get on the subject.