Old 12 February 2008, 05:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gary Newloves widow calls for the return of the death penalty

Newlove widow in death penalty call - MSN News UK - news & weather,

i have to say i'm behind her 100%,

They killed her husband, and get 17 years

what a sad state of affairs we have, when white collar crime carries stiffer penaltys

Innocence lost - James Bulger murder - warnings ignored, MSN UK News - news & weather

this article makes for sad reading too.

What has gone wrong, we are slipping slowly down the path toward anarchy, with human life being treated as a throwaway item, barely worth column inches in the press.

How long before the masses revolt and take things into there own hands?

Of course the liberal bleeding hearts will be along to, proclaim the "human rights " charter, and quote statistics on how innocent people are wrongly hung. And how one life saved is worth any cost. how do they equate that to the relatives of the people who have been killed?

Mart
Old 12 February 2008, 06:26 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

How anyone can claim those... individuals, who kicked that man to death in the street deserve any rights is beyond me.

They were totally aware of what they were doing and they should suffer the full consequences of their behaviour.

Hang them.
Old 12 February 2008, 06:32 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure killing them would achieve anything to be honest. I don't really like the idea of the state killing someone. You have to have en executioner plus associates. It is just not a nice thing for a "civilised" society to do. Not to mention, a HUGE mistake if you get it wrong.

Much better to have life sentences that were actually live. That is much better in my mind for several reasons. Firstly, there is no easy way out. The punishment never ends, you are always paying for the pain you caused. Secondly, if there is a screw, and there have been many. It can always be undone to some extent.

The obvious downside is that we have to pay for them to by kept in a jail for the whole of their lives. I'd prefer that to killing them.
Old 12 February 2008, 06:36 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I'm not sure killing them would achieve anything to be honest. I don't really like the idea of the state killing someone. You have to have en executioner plus associates. It is just not a nice thing for a "civilised" society to do. Not to mention, a HUGE mistake if you get it wrong.

Much better to have life sentences that were actually live. That is much better in my mind for several reasons. Firstly, there is no easy way out. The punishment never ends, you are always paying for the pain you caused. Secondly, if there is a screw, and there have been many. It can always be undone to some extent.

The obvious downside is that we have to pay for them to by kept in a jail for the whole of their lives. I'd prefer that to killing them.
Why should WE pay to keep the scum alive?

Those nutters over in the middle east get many things wrong, but their justice is spot on. Just chop bits off them ( In the GN killers case, 1 arm, 1 leg ) , and release!
Old 12 February 2008, 06:38 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

yeah good on her to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the uk's a joke (BRING BACK HANGING!!!)
Old 12 February 2008, 06:47 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

All the 6-30 news seems to be about is gary newlove and the murder in south wales.
something has got to be done now its going to far.

the deadlegs are in charge and they know it.

make booze more expensive.
create a super tax for shell tesco and the banks
use this money for more police and new prisons.

stop dole if your not working, and send them on jobs tidying the neighbourhood.

We were little sods as kids but were never cheeky or disrespectful.
at worst on bonfire night we would nick a few gates.

Some little **** threatened my ten year old daughter (tbh he is not that naughty but he needs reeling back before he comes a hoodie).
i found him hiding behind a neighbours fence, he got out when he thought the road was clear, and i got him, i got a few inches form his face shearing and shouting at him and also spitting a little bit whilst i was talking i was that worked up, prodding him in the collar bone as i was talking to him.
now he runs when he sees me.

to be fair i wont carry it on with him, if hes ok with my sally i will be fine with him.
Old 12 February 2008, 07:03 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I'm behind her 100% too

It should be brought back more so where there is complete and utter 100% proof that the person involved commited the crime
Old 12 February 2008, 07:14 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I think you will find it will stop them killing another law abiding citizen in 17 years time.

Originally Posted by Luminous

Old 12 February 2008, 09:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I think you will find it will stop them killing another law abiding citizen in 17 years time.
so would a proper life sentance.

no way on earth is the UK going to have a death penalty, far more sense to campaign for proper sentancing than ask for a punishment that will turn a lot of people (who would like to see life mean life) off your idea.
Old 12 February 2008, 09:13 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

A life sentence, and I do mean for their entire natural life (sorry for the sp in my first ateempt ) achieves everything we want. It stops then killing or harming other innocent people. They may be able to harm other prisoners, but that is a risk I would be prepared to live with.

The downside is of course you have to pay to keep them alive. The flip side to that coin is that on many occasions convictions that were thought to be safe, were later found to be wrong. Once you have killed someone, it is really hard to walk over to them and say sorry.

Its bad enough if you realise after many years, but at least you can hand them some cash and let them try and get on with the rest of whatever life they can make.

I'd be really uncomfortable with letting the state kill people. Killing people is wrong, and we should be setting an example. Not to mention that I don't see why we should give these people and easy way out. Stick them in a chain gang or boot camp or something.
Old 12 February 2008, 09:22 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember as a teenager being caught by the police riding a bike with no lights at night , they marched me home and I got a bollocking from the police and my parents.
Old 12 February 2008, 09:23 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

the problem is in this day and age, not a jury in the land would convict if they knew that they were sending a man to the gallows.

Thats not a personal opinion either, thats the words of a very senior barrister who has now become a high court judge himself.
astraboy.
Old 12 February 2008, 09:40 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

The problem as I see it is that there is no real discipline or respect (for others) in this country and coupled with the ridiculous nanny state that we currently have, we have these problems and I don’t see them getting any better to be honest. I don’t have a problem with the death penalty with cases like this - and proper jail terms inc hard labour for other cases !

Richard
Old 12 February 2008, 09:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17 years, save up and get them offed when they come out.
Old 12 February 2008, 10:06 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
the problem is in this day and age, not a jury in the land would convict if they knew that they were sending a man to the gallows.

Thats not a personal opinion either, thats the words of a very senior barrister who has now become a high court judge himself.
astraboy.
Would you like to try it?

Prehaps what he meant is there isnt a court in the land that would convict if they new they were sending someone to the gallows.

Lets be brutally honest.

what deterrent do we have in the UK?

Prison? thats a joke, 12 years for murder? these judges need a reality check

The sad fact is the very thing they introduced to make things all soft, fluffy and friendly to all, fails the very people it need to protect.

The whole human rights thing has, become a huge paradox, whilst allowing everyone to have there "human rights", it offers no support or aid to the people who,s rights are breached.

At the moment, it protects killers, sad but true. whilst they have the right to do almost anything, once they commit a capital offence, they are protected by the right they took from another. The right to life.

The act then cant cant deal with this, and perversely protects the people it should then deny the right.

No one wants to see innocent people hung, but by the same token no one wants to see killers walking scott free (ok 12 years down the line)

Mart
Old 12 February 2008, 10:08 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
17 years, save up and get them offed when they come out.
There is a chance there lives will be in risk when they come out - just like Jamie Bulgers killers - and it will be the good old tax payer who will be picking the tab up for their protection !

Richard
Old 13 February 2008, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with the lady.

Les
Old 13 February 2008, 12:20 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

And now one of the guys is talking about appealing against his sentence & conviction
Old 13 February 2008, 12:27 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Absolutely no, it should not be brought back - And thankfully the chances of it coming back are very very slim.

The State cannot afford to even make a single wrongful execution. Unless it can 100% guarantee not to make a mistake - And it can't do that.
Old 13 February 2008, 12:41 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

What would the Sharia Law view be?

Agreed though death penalty is to far .Seems that even the wonders of DNA evidence aren't perfect.

Life should=lifetime though and prison should be room+ bed+ bucket+ 20 inmates to a cell
Old 13 February 2008, 12:48 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Yes it should be brought back. This case is a prime example of why.

I fail to understand the point about a jury or court refusing to find guilty/convict if they knew that there was a possibility of the death penalty.

Firtsly a jury has no say on the sentance as far as I'm aware and secondly, if it was the law that a certain crime warrants a certain punishment then there is no option or ambiguity.

My one stint on jury service allowed me to perform the role or jury foreman in a case where a man had raped his daughter. Certain other jury members had only a few brain cells between them (to the extent that I had to persuade one dippy old woman that just because "he's the same age as my son and my son wouldn't do that so I find it hard to believe that he's guilty" is not a good reason to find this piece of scum not guilty, i.e listen to the evidence and make your decision based on that!

In cases such as that, I would have done the same (and eventually said my "Guilty" piece) with a clear conscience in the knowledge that rather than sending away to come back into society in a number of years I had helped rid the world of a piece of human detritus.
Old 13 February 2008, 01:08 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I don't understand why people want the death penalty back.

The main reason is revenge, or some percieved from of justice, but there is little evidence to suggest that either is satisfied by simply killing the offender.

It certainly is not a deterrent, crime prior to the 20th Century was rife, with hanging for all sorts of crimes, even petty ones. Didn't deter anyone, just meant lots of hangings.

Life imprisonment, if it meant life is a much more suitable punishment. Imagine knowing that you would NEVER be free, and would die in prison, that would be punishment. Death would be an end, no suffering.

Geezer
Old 13 February 2008, 01:17 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Not sure because America has the death sentence and its doesn't stop people committing rape and murder.
Old 13 February 2008, 01:21 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

I agree with what she says.

If you are that cruel to someone (or even an animal!), you have no place in society, putting them in jail will not change them as they have too many 'perks' these days, its like a hotel! These kids severly lack discipline and they know they cannot be touched, they are not scared of anyone of authority.

Perhaps the answer before the death penalty is National Service, if you do wrong, then you get National Service instead of jail, there they will get the discipline they need and they will probably come out better people than they would if they had spent 10 years in jail, and probably have more skills and self respect!

Of course, this probably wouldn't work for all, and in that case the death penalty is probably the only solution, an eye for an eye, the thought of being 'put down' for what seems like a laugh to them would put some of these kids off.
Old 13 February 2008, 01:32 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Some nonsense on here.

You find a single soldier that wants to have some thug scum bag covering his back...or an officer that wants to train them.

And prison sentences aren't a deterrent. We should extend them to punish, but don't think for a second that if life was life murder would stop.

When this kid killed the bloke (in this story) do you think he seriously considered the implications of 17 years in prison and decided it was worth it???? Some people are scum, they have no regard for their OWN futures as a result of how they may act - hence the US is full of people waiting to be executed....again, do you think they weighed that one up before going ahead with their crime???
Old 13 February 2008, 02:04 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

The joys of religiously influenced thinking; an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

The death sentence isn't a deterant, period. Sadly the cost of keeping people in jail is prohibitively high, we need to find a nice cheap way of keeping people incarcerated for extended periods. Drop them on a floating pontoon in the middle of the atlantic and give them some fishing hooks, that should do the trick.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:09 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Not sure we should be deliberately killing people as a society, but something must be done fast!!

I think the only option is as said above that a life sentence means they are imprisoned until they die. We don't have enough room for more prisons, so lets bring the floating prisons back and anchor a huge 100,000 place prison in the middle of the ocean somewhere, and then another if required.

Don't staff it, just leave them to look after themselves out there - if they want to try swimming to freedom then so be it.

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 13 February 2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:10 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Doh, Olly already posted that.
Old 13 February 2008, 03:13 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I'm 100% behind her hang the scumbags
Cheers
Colin
Old 13 February 2008, 03:48 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
Not sure because America has the death sentence and its doesn't stop people committing rape and murder.
Plus DNA testing is proving that many people who have been sitting on death row for years are innocent.

Quick Reply: Gary Newloves widow calls for the return of the death penalty