Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car insurance claim help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2008, 04:34 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car insurance claim help please.

My daughter and her mother were involved in an rta late Saturday morning. They were in a queue of traffic waiting to enter a roundabout. A young guy in an Alfa Romeo of some type ran into the back of a Skoda Octavia (which was immediately behind my daughter's CTR) with such force that the Octavia then rear ended her CTR. My daughter telephoned the police who arrived very quickly. They did the usual checks and discovered the Alfa driver had no insurance. At the scene, one of the copper's said my daughter would be able to claim against the Octavia driver's insurance even though he didn't cause the accident. Today my daughter had a phone call from the police who said
she may not be able to claim from the Octavia driver and in view of the Alfa driver having no insurance she would probably have to claim on her own policy.
Does anybody know whether this is indeed the case please ?

Any help gratefully received.

Geoff.
Old 11 February 2008, 04:44 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

I think I would report it all to the daughter's insurance company and let them sort it out - with a CTR I assume she has legal protection on her insurance? She was rear-ended from the Octavia so isn't it up to her to claim from the Octavia and the Octavia from the Alfa? I know you said the Alfa doesn't have insurance but I don't think that is your daughter's fault.
Old 11 February 2008, 04:47 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Speak to your daughters insurance company. The insurance companys pay into a central fund so that victims of uninsured drivers have money available to pay in their sted. They wont vaulenteer this information so ask about it.

Also, make sure the police prosecute the guy without insurance.

Its about time all those with dodgy or no insurance were taken off the roads for good.
Old 11 February 2008, 04:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Is there not a fund out there now, paid in to by the Insurers to cover payouts for accidents caused by uninsured drivers. Think it was in a thread a few weeks ago.
Old 11 February 2008, 04:55 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Yes, its the MIB but she may not get much out of it.
I got hit by an uninsured local ****** and I got the cost of my excess back from the MIB but the claim was still marked against us as unrecoverable although I was allowed to state why on insurance renewals. We had no claim protection too fortunately.
The police asked me to make a statement, they had witnesses etc but were unable to do a thing, apart from ask me if I knew the differerence between a Jag XKS and a Sierra (the Jag had false plates on!) The insurance company were the ones that did all the legwork - this was nearly 7 years ago and I don't think things have improved since.
Old 11 February 2008, 05:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

No problem, let their insurance sort it, a claim from either the octavia car or MIB
Old 11 February 2008, 05:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Who is she insured with. Some allow you to claim without affecting your NCB is such circumstances.
Old 11 February 2008, 05:10 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
I think I would report it all to the daughter's insurance company and let them sort it out - with a CTR I assume she has legal protection on her insurance? She was rear-ended from the Octavia so isn't it up to her to claim from the Octavia and the Octavia from the Alfa? I know you said the Alfa doesn't have insurance but I don't think that is your daughter's fault.
It's my understanding that this is how these things usually work - In the end, you were hiy by the Octavia - for whatever reason.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:40 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
It's my understanding that this is how these things usually work - In the end, you were hiy by the Octavia - for whatever reason.
I'm fairly sure that's right. Might not seem fair on the Octavia owner, but surely the argument is that they should have stopped far enough away from your daughter's car, so as not to hit her, in the event that someone hit them. AFAIK there is no defence when you hit another car from behind, it's automatically the fault of the car behind
Old 11 February 2008, 10:08 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

Geoff.
Old 12 February 2008, 07:19 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miff13
AFAIK there is no defence when you hit another car from behind, it's automatically the fault of the car behind
Not strictly true, but a good initial starting point. There have to be other factors involved if you dun into the back of someone and expect to win - i did and have.

Back on topic, you need to claim from the driver who hit your car, the costs are then passed on to the second car.
Old 12 February 2008, 07:32 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Not strictly true, but a good initial starting point. There have to be other factors involved if you dun into the back of someone and expect to win - i did and have.

Back on topic, you need to claim from the driver who hit your car, the costs are then passed on to the second car.
Thanks for the reply.

Geoff.
Old 12 February 2008, 08:01 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

It's not the Octavia's fault - I had a similar situation a few years ago where some enthusiastic young lads in mummy's car rear ended the car behind me which then hit me.

We both acted as witnesses for each other and claimed off the insurance of the young lads' motor - all paid out and no contest. Good luck Rapid, as others have said, get your insurance company to sort it out and stay in touch with the owner of the Octavia would be my advice - you may need to help each other.

Gordo
Old 12 February 2008, 08:21 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

had a similair incident last year and my insurance company umed and arghed about it. So I used these instead - Welcome to Kindertons Accident Management

cant praise them enough, they took all the hassle off my hands and sorted everything out.

Reason my own insurance we're hesitant is the driver who hit me, was insured, the driver who hit him was insured, the driver who ran into the back of them wasnt insured.

Plus my own insurance dithered for nearly a month about whether to repair or write off my car!
Old 13 February 2008, 12:18 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Definitely claim against the Octavia driver's insurance company. It was his car that hit you and caused the damage. His insurers would normally then claim for both the Octavia's damage and your damages against the Alfa driver's insurers. In this case, there aren't any so the Octavia's insurers are the one's holding the baby, not your daughter's insurers so she should come out of it with her NCB intact and she claims her excess and any genuine out of pocket expenses from them as well.
Old 13 February 2008, 07:42 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Since when is it up to the police to decide who you claim off? Give all the info to your insurers. Their a bunch of tight-fisted, money grabbing *****, so they'll make sure they get their money off some poor bugger
Old 13 February 2008, 08:48 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just a little point the insurers may have a fund but WE are paying for it not them !

Hang the ****** by his *********,
Old 13 February 2008, 09:28 AM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

The third party or the Octavia's insurance will try and get out of paying for yours. The car in front should have left more space, had the hand brake on etc.

They may offer somtimes to go 50/50 with the car in front of them, but in your case that has has no insurance.

This claim will be pending for a while meaning a step back in bonus at rnl. Classed as a fault untill settled.

However if its settled non fault finally with either the MIB or the TP Insurer taking full responsibility then your bonus wil be reinstated mid term and your premium reduced.
Old 13 February 2008, 11:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The uninsured driver should get a gaol sentence!

Les