Life for Garry Newlove Killers

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2008, 03:02 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life for Garry Newlove Killers

well ... upto 17 yrs

Adam Swellings, 19, of Meredith Street, Crewe received a minimum 17-year term, while Stephen Sorton, 17, of Honister Street, Warrington, was sentenced to a minimum of 15 years and Jordan Cunliffe, 16, formerly of Rowland Close, Warrington, was jailed for a minimum of 12 years.

Garry Newlove killers sentenced to life in jail - Times Online

Claire
Old 11 February 2008, 03:33 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Good, let's hope they rot nicely in there! At least they are minimum sentences, so they won't get out any sooner.

Although I wish life meant life, can you imagine being 19, knowing you were going to prison until you were at least 36?

It must seem like an awful long time!
Old 11 February 2008, 03:36 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Never was there a clearer case for capital punishment

3 low life scum the world could well do without
Old 11 February 2008, 03:41 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Never was there a clearer case for capital punishment

3 low life scum the world could well do without

i cant agree more
Old 11 February 2008, 03:48 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I cannot say I have ever wanted to do something like that to anyone, let alone acted out on a thought of that nature.

My drunken adventures consisted of traffic coning in a mates car, or a ride in a shopping trolley. Is that simply too tame these days?
Old 11 February 2008, 05:02 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

My view on this is that if you take a life in this way then you should lose your own life, those 3 should have been hanged for taking away a dad from his family in the way they did.

Murder should = The murderer/murderers losing their lives.
Old 11 February 2008, 05:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

judge said theymust serve a minimum of 14 years, so not life not even close, out by the time they are in their early 40's so not bad going for killing a bloke by kicking him to death after he asked you to stop vandalising his wifes car!

Police feel it sends out a stong message - do they really think so!

Death penalty or 25+ years hard labour for scum like this!

Gary Newlove left a wife and two little girls, one of which watched her dad being beaten to death, i bet they wish thier dad would come home, even in 14 years time
Old 11 February 2008, 05:48 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

If you take a life, yours should be taken in return.

Ant
Old 11 February 2008, 05:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
judge said theymust serve a minimum of 14 years, so not life not even close, out by the time they are in their early 40's so not bad going for killing a bloke by kicking him to death after he asked you to stop vandalising his wifes car!

Police feel it sends out a stong message - do they really think so!

Death penalty or 25+ years hard labour for scum like this!

Gary Newlove left a wife and two little girls, one of which watched her dad being beaten to death, i bet they wish thier dad would come home, even in 14 years time
I personally dont support the death penalty, but I think it should be 25 years minimum for a crime of this nature: Yob Britain -and that's what behaviour like this is the worst example of- must be clamped down upon and the rights of the law abiding (e.g. to have their property left alone) respected.

FFS They didn't even have the ***** to confront him face to face, the first little pikey hit him in the head from behind and then just kicked him in the head when he was down. For what cause he, rightly, stood up for his own property, which they had no business touching!!

Using the term animals, would be insulting to other species!!

Ns04
Old 11 February 2008, 06:10 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

The death penalty does not work, you've only got to look at the states where they have tougher sentences and the penalty....

Need to tackle the cause of this behaviour and that starts at home I'm afraid.
Old 11 February 2008, 06:27 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

I can fully understand what you are saying Clarebabes. But unfortunately our society isn`t that way inclined anymore.

Do we intend to blame the parents, or lack of activities for the younger generation to do?

Could it be the availability of cheap thrills such as alcohol & solvents, drugs etc?

Personally the law system needs to take a stand & try to correct this kind of behaviour. But I think it has already gone to far beyond repair IMHO.

It is very sad news to hear of untimely abrupt ending to a life.

BUT until the Government makes a stand this will continue to occur.
Old 11 February 2008, 06:40 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

It doesn't matter what penalties are out there. I had a 15 year-old boy sit in front of me and say that he would pay the price for "cutting" someone who was disrespecting him. He wouldn't be seen to be a soft touch. He said the time would be worth it.

I don't have the answers, it's just that they have no fear. Gangs are more important than family and they are prepared to kill for their honour.

I think the care system also has alot to answer for. The amount of kids that end up off the rails who have been in care does not bear thinking about. (Not necessarily in the Newlove case.)
Old 11 February 2008, 06:50 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default not tough enough.

for me a violent cold blooded attack like this should carry the death penalty.
same for violent sexual crimes and paedophiles. the jails are overcrowded, well theres your cure. it makes me sick seeing serious crimes like this go only half punished. i do believe in human rights but the people who commit these crimes with the exception of the mentally ill are not human.
not that i am defending mental illness sufferers. they do have some sort of an excuse though. this is my personal opinion. any offence caused i apologise in advance. cheers C.
Old 11 February 2008, 06:54 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

The answers I don`t have to this. But I was brought up to be correct so to speak. I am nearly 40 (don`t laugh )

But the way society is today, certainly has changed from when I was a lad. If i did anything wrong, I`d be punished, not bought the latest gadget cos I was well`ard & slashed a mate. If you can gist what I am saying.

Who do we place the blame on? Parenting? Government etc?
Old 11 February 2008, 07:04 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

They should put murderers in the army and send them to Iraq and Afghanistan and lets how they react when someone is trying to kill them, they would probably cry out for their mum.

Seriously though they should get life sentences and life meaning life and not 17 yrs or so, it really is sick what some of these low life do.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
The death penalty does not work, you've only got to look at the states where they have tougher sentences and the penalty....

Hi Clare,
Not gettting at you but picking up on a few points.

I do not think using the states as a shining example of anything is ever a good idea, i have however lived in a mulsim country ruled over by a king and not sharia law where the death penalty is an option and guess what - not too many takers there!

in addition, tougher sentences, is not just about a deterrant but about keeping scum out of society as well

You will not get an argument from me about parenting either, the problems start at home and continue from there.

everyone has a part to play, parents, communities, police, schools, social services, etc.

Also there are kids growing up now who better patenting will not fix as they are too old, the likes of these 3 scumbags who murdered Gary. They should be delt with in the most serious of ways and the death penalty should be an option in cases like this. 14-17 years is hardly a punishment or a deterrant, out in the 30's, not bad going and can still have a life.

Finally, there are some people who will offend in the most serious oif ways anyway, through mental illness or a pathologial desire to. The mentally ill could be much better served by society if provisions in hoospitals and home where avalaible instead of being pretty much abandoned on the community to sink or swim.

there are a lot of things that need fixing to help put a stop to this sort of activity, i heard on the news today of a similar incident occurring, seems to be all rtoo common, along with the thread on the fire services being attacked it does show the darker side of thw UK society and it does highlight that sthings need to change for the better - and soon

Last edited by The Zohan; 11 February 2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Posted this a while back on the subject of the death penalty, haven't changed my mind.

Gut instinct says that scum like this don't deserve to be on the streets and it would be much less expensive to just do away with them!

BUT

When looked at in terms of the objectives of punishment, the death penalty only really works on an "eye for an eye basis". Fine, revenge can be a valid, if dangerous motive.

The main problems I have with it are threefold. First, punishment is caried out on behalf of society, i.e. you and I. I don't want anyone killed on my behalf, not even this scum. Reason? I question the moral imperative of any justice system that condemns murder, but then sanctions it as a punishment.

Secondly, I think a life in prison is probably a more severe punishment. If it is currently an easy option, that should be changed, but that's not an excuse to bring in the death penalty - make doing time mean something again!

Thirdly, if the wrong person is convicted, there is nothing that can done once the sentence is executed. In this age of forensics, mistakes are rare, but they still happen and forensics are just a tool used by humans who are notoriously fallable and subject to corruption etc..

A wise man once said that if you wanted to examine the state of a society, look at the way it treats its outcasts!

The death penalty, though satisfying on a visceral level, would be a big step back for UK society.

Life should mean 25 years min for these animals!

All IMHO
Old 11 February 2008, 07:20 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

There is an undercurrent of ******* who think they can go around doing what they want. alot of it comes from US rap videos and parents not working or having an interest in them.

As soon as you hear warrington you think of Gary newlove. those ****kickers have damaged the town immeasurably and should pay an adequate price.

i think the easiest way to clear it all up is bring in one rule.

only peple working can vote (except pensionsers). then the people who do work will resent giving the money to *******. they wont get any at all so they have to work. whilst they are at work crime levels will decrease, then the circle is complete.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:24 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kill the scum and hervest their organs Like in China
Old 11 February 2008, 07:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Whilst I agree that these low lifes have probably got off a bit lightly, I cannot support the death penalty.

Far from making our society better, all it would do would drag it further down.

You cannot justify taking a life, just because someone else has, can't you see the inherent hypocrisy?

Apart from anything else it would turn our criminal justice system into some sort of macabre freak show.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:36 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Sickening isn't it. I am fundamentally against capital punishment, but why doesn't life imprisonment mean imprisonment for life? Never been able to grasp that one.

Sure you can appeal, get parole, etc, then get released to cause a further threat to society, or at best be a useless drain on honest taxpayers. That is preferable to capital punishment, simply because the law is not perfect - as has been proven many times. But 17 years is not life. In fact, it's a farse.

On the other hand, what the hell - string 'em up.

Richard.
Old 11 February 2008, 07:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt kill anyone just lock them away for ever
Old 11 February 2008, 08:54 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Whilst I agree that these low lifes have probably got off a bit lightly, I cannot support the death penalty.

Far from making our society better, all it would do would drag it further down.

You cannot justify taking a life, just because someone else has, can't you see the inherent hypocrisy?

Apart from anything else it would turn our criminal justice system into some sort of macabre freak show.
Ok, from another point of view. Lets say we forgot about the death penalty. A life sentence should mean life. Not out after say half the term for good behaviour etc. This means that the criminal is once again on our streets to commit yet more crime. Is this a better solution?

I am not trying to cause upset with my posts, so I apologise.

Ant
Old 11 February 2008, 09:18 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas
Ok, from another point of view. Lets say we forgot about the death penalty. A life sentence should mean life. Not out after say half the term for good behaviour etc. This means that the criminal is once again on our streets to commit yet more crime. Is this a better solution?

I am not trying to cause upset with my posts, so I apologise.

Ant
I agree 100%
Old 11 February 2008, 09:22 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

No matter when these kids get out, it's not like they are going to be able to get a job, no matter how many degrees they get whilst at her majesty's pleasure, so they're going to be a drain on society for a very long time anyway.

At least they won't be able to get some chav up the duff for a long time, so at least we don't have to pay for their offspring either....
Old 11 February 2008, 10:02 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Its a shame we have to let them out. I've really tried to think about how I behaved when I was younger. No amount of alcohol or anything else has ever wanted to make me do something like that.

I cannot be help think that when they get out they will still be the sort of person you just don't really want to meet. Would be nice for them to be off our streets forever.
Old 11 February 2008, 10:58 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

dont get me wrong we gave a bit of lip to the parkie and as you can expect you only got caught the once. but on the flip side we were sent down the street to see if the old folks wanted any shopping. and as for litter you never dropped what you never had cos you couldnt afford it.
and another thing these people white trash, the sort of people who go on jeremy kyle, when was the last time you saw some poles, or indians or pakistanis on it? yet these sort of people are the first to say they should nt be here taking our jobs etc.
Old 11 February 2008, 11:00 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Infact shell tesco bp etc making one and a half million an hour or what ever it was should be paying a super tax, and the money go straight to building new prisons job done.
thank you and good night .. rant over ..
Old 11 February 2008, 11:07 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Thumbs down

Murder should = a proper life sentance in my book. Off to prison & never let out again. These ******* will be out in 8yrs max with their whole lives ahead of them ...

TX.

Edit - min sentance of 17yrs will they really serve that ...

Last edited by Terminator X; 11 February 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: re-read OP
Old 12 February 2008, 12:12 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Red face

Originally Posted by Clarebabes

Could start by castrating them ? At least this will ensure it removes their genes from the Gene Pool.

I imagine that would have a VERY quick effect on the crime figures.

Chemical Castration (reversible) for crimes warranting 2 - 4 years in jail.
One Bollock off for crimes warranting 5 - 7 years
One Bollock & Chem Castration for 8 - 10 years
Both Bollocks for 11 - 15 Years
Full meat and 2 veg for 16+ years

Just a thought...

Quick Reply: Life for Garry Newlove Killers