Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anti camera plates?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2008, 11:43 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anti camera plates?

I have seen a few number plates around which when viewed in brightly reflected light, seem to have two large splodges of some sort of treatment that obscures the numbers/letters.
They seem to be reasonably common.
Anyone else noticed these?
If so, what is the purpose/legality of this type of treatment?

Last edited by cster; 08 February 2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: i before e except after c
Old 08 February 2008, 11:59 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Illegal and they don't work. The camera film operators simply reverse the image out.

And the crime is attempting to pervert the course of justice if the plods are so minded which carries a jail sentence.

Don't waste your money and get a decent GPS camera locator plus look on the plod websites for the areas you are driving though the next day to find out which roads are being targeted by the mobiles.

And before anyone says they don't have time, well 4 strikes and you lose your licence which could lose you your job, car and house . . . If you've got time to come on SN you've got time to cover your a&se!
Old 09 February 2008, 12:16 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nooobyscoooby
Illegal and they don't work. The camera film operators simply reverse the image out.

And the crime is attempting to pervert the course of justice if the plods are so minded which carries a jail sentence.

Don't waste your money and get a decent GPS camera locator plus look on the plod websites for the areas you are driving though the next day to find out which roads are being targeted by the mobiles.

And before anyone says they don't have time, well 4 strikes and you lose your licence which could lose you your job, car and house . . . If you've got time to come on SN you've got time to cover your a&se!
Yeah totally agree, a decent Snooper or something like, the more you can spend the better generally, updatable gps system with radar and laser detecter, lasers get your speed in 3 tenths of a sec and from a 1000 meters away (LTI 20/20) so i also have laser jammers fitted, not cheap but then again i drive HGV for a living so worth every penny to me.
Old 09 February 2008, 12:42 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Noo Nooo Points just for having one
Old 09 February 2008, 12:55 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Just for having the jammer you mean?
If they can be spotted quite possibaly but they are very decreet and i have been using them for 5 years now and had no problems. Check these guyz out

Roadnet Automotive: Speed Camera Detection Systems
Old 09 February 2008, 07:44 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

I'm just curious really.
I don't have any points and don't use anything apart from my eyes, common sense and lucky Polish number plate(last one's a joke).
I find the plod tend to be reasonably predictable in camera placement in Essex.
Old 09 February 2008, 09:12 AM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

Surely with relective plates as they glare whenever a bright/flash shines on them, whenhever a cop car is behind you they will glare then if he has his lights on. So they will then pull you over then and do yo u for having dodgy plates.
Old 09 February 2008, 11:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was told that wrapping the plates in clingfilm works but I don't know if it really does the business.

Les
Old 09 February 2008, 11:29 AM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Lad who i work with had anti cammera plates, didn`t work, went through a cammera, still got the fine and had to get the plates changed and tested at an MOT center.
Old 09 February 2008, 11:44 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nooobyscoooby

scamera partnerships are no longer telling you where they are hiding, they say you should know by now ? (go figure)

cant wait until i get elected , going to be a mass surge in unemployed scamera partnership employees

(we all have our dreams )

Mart
Old 09 February 2008, 12:07 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

iv heard hairspray does the job.

apparently it actually works and reflects back white
Old 09 February 2008, 12:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
iv heard hairspray does the job.

apparently it actually works and reflects back white
Give it a whirl then and get back to us.
Old 09 February 2008, 12:26 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrx-ian
Surely with relective plates as they glare whenever a bright/flash shines on them, whenhever a cop car is behind you they will glare then if he has his lights on. So they will then pull you over then and do yo u for having dodgy plates.
This is true, whenever you go over a bump in the road the plates momentarily disappear. A real giveaway
Old 09 February 2008, 01:39 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

There is a hayabusa rider in macc with a pneumatic back plate that flips up and hides at the touch of a button, how hard would this be to do on my scoob?
Old 09 February 2008, 03:30 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

its the front plate that's the problem, remove it
Old 09 February 2008, 03:42 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

The easiest and cheapest way to avoid the speed cameras is don't speed, it's not hard and it is all controlled by your right foot.
Old 09 February 2008, 04:35 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Cling film, hairspray? PMSL these myths still being touted around? You don't need a jammer as these are illegal, you need a garage door opener or one that turns a light on in your drive as you pull up, coincidently they also jam laser speed traps. Get a car sat nav with gps speed camera locations for Gatsos.

As for don't speed, it's quite difficult these days as some do-gooding council has probably lopped 10-20 mph off many limits, as they've done around here.
Old 09 February 2008, 05:19 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Well TBH if you cannot drive to the speed limits then should you really be driving at all, after all if you hit a child and killed them what would you think then... it amazes me how people cannot handle the truth on here.
Old 09 February 2008, 05:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Old 09 February 2008, 07:44 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

LOL I have been called alot in the past but never a troll ROTFL ouch it hurts, no really it does.

Sadly children do not think when running out into the road and as a sensible adult and a car driver if you are travelling at the correct speeds you will have a good chance of not hitting them or stopping. obviously some people are ignorant tot he fact that some speed limits are there for a reason, some speed cameras are in correct places some are not but if you feel that you are more correct than I then I shall bow down to our greater knowedge, but you for me have summed up the mentality of some of the people who speed.
Old 09 February 2008, 08:07 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

There's reckless speeding and there's breaking a speed limit, especially one ridiculously and artificially low. You'll find that the 40 mph limit is the limit which has been ignored the most in recent years. Are there more idiots on the road? No, what's been seen is a policy of ordinary drivers ignoring increasingly nannying limits.

I shall await your response when the EU ban your gas guzzling old Impreza as a danger to children as it probably wouldn't pass any EU regulations now for pedestrian impacts. Think about all the small lungs you're poisoning in your 20 mpg car when you increase emissions over 40% down every road with speed humps. But then I suppose you'll only be happy when we all drive bubble wrapped cars limited to 10 mph.

<Awaits hypothetical 'what if' child killer response
Old 09 February 2008, 08:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Sounds good to me

a couple of little points.
1) I no longer have an impreza
2) I agree with your first paragraph some limits are artificially low.

The end point being I said as before the safest way to avoid speed cameras is to not speed, why would you need a contraption when you abide by the law even if you do not agree with it, it is what it is and there is nothing you can do.
And in the places where speeding is acceptable you wouldn't need the camera detectors or spray or whatever you want to use as it is not needed.

Bubble wrapped cars would be a little annoying as there would be no stress anywhere

BTW I am just trying to put a POV across as I thought it was allowed, obviously not...
Old 09 February 2008, 08:23 PM
Lisawrx

People may well disagree with me, but what needs to happen is a revision of speed limits, rather than constantly lowering ones in some areas and never looking into changing those elsewhere where they may in fact be too low. If this was to happen it may actually reduce speeding offences, as people who drive higher than the limit, would no longer necessarily feel the need to as the limit would be more suitable. It would likely cut down on people going out and finding weird and wonderful ways of trying to avoid being caught. Probably never happen, as at least to me that makes sense, so wouldn't be heard of by the powers that be.
Old 09 February 2008, 08:31 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Agreed, the easiest way to avoid a fine is don't speed. But, by constantly checking your speedo you'll be looking less at the road, making you more dangerous. I find myself looking for cameras even when I'm not 'speeding'. TBH I'd outlaw speedos and speed limits completely, save for obviously hazardous areas. At the same time have very severe penalties for anyone convicted for dangerous driving, driving without insurance etc. Only my POV of course.
Old 09 February 2008, 10:06 PM
nooobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Sorry Troll, but speed limits have absolutely no relationship to knocking kids over! How about 'if kids can't cross the road correctly they should be under the supervision of their parents'?

Dave
Knocking kids down prevents them becoming hooligans later. Only joking!

Only today I saw a young kid running along a very narrow pavement beside a busy main road whilst his parents were too busy chatting to their friends to keep a proper eye on him.

I now stick to all 20/30/40/50 and 60 limits on the button and cruise control with my Origin B2 as the speedo which is set on my dash in line of sight - its easier than looking down at the speedo. It may p:ss folk off but its my licence that is still clean and I only let my hair down on roads I know well and have checked out first by driving it at the legal limit before a nice run back.
Old 10 February 2008, 08:25 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

place all your vehicle RK details into a ltd company, have the company sec as a non licence holder, have multi name insurance. ignore any nip that comes through the post. Wait for the summons for failing to furnish, plead guilty, pay fine, but no points on any licence.
Old 10 February 2008, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a perfectly reasonable point to make that if you observe the speed limits, then you won't get a ticket. There are places where it is dangerous and unfair to break the speed limit and if you do and cause an accident or injury or just get a ticket-then you desreve what you get.

On the other hand, so many speed limits are totally unreasonable and that is wrong because it encourages drivers to break the law. In particular many of the new 20 mph limits have been put in the most stupidly unnecessary places by people who obviously don't understand what they are at, or just don't care anyway seeing it as a sign to their superiors that they are doing a great job!

The old argument of saying that cars handle much better and that brakes are better is not really valid since although the cars may well be better, Humans have not changed so much that their reactions and driving capabilities are any better in modern times. From what I see so much these days one could say that the opposite is nearer the truth! There is a lot less thought for others now and people will often drive too fast in places where they certainly should not.

Les
Old 10 February 2008, 08:19 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by b13bat
Yeah totally agree, a decent Snooper or something like, the more you can spend the better generally, updatable gps system with radar and laser detecter, lasers get your speed in 3 tenths of a sec and from a 1000 meters away (LTI 20/20) so i also have laser jammers fitted, not cheap but then again i drive HGV for a living so worth every penny to me.
So, you admit to driving with an illegal laser jammer and that you use it in an HGV. Doubley stupid A car is hard enough to stop but an HGV is bigger heavier and likely to take out even more

BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Speed gun jammer earns driver ban

Big brother may be watching!

Googled your user name and came up with this.

the FastSaloons.com Group :: View topic - Where Do The Badges Go????

You drive a BMW D353 DFC

MaFt's (Almost) Daily Blog: Landmark Communications

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 10 February 2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10 February 2008, 08:49 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

I always do 30 in built up areas, and I've had the Scoob for almost 5 years now, so it comes as second nature. But when I drive our lasses Astra, I find I find it tough to stay at 30, it's a really tough car to drive at 30. In the Scoob, I've now sussed out the sound of the car when I'm at 30 and it's easy.

As for the crack about not letting kids run into the road, obviously you don't have kids. No matter how hard you try to control them, they will always do their own thing, and eventually, they'll get away from you. If you've never run into the road without looking to get a football back, you've never had a real childhood. Most real kids have done it.

I don't agree with fixed 20 mph zones cos they're mainly around schools, and you can still be done at 10 o'clock at night when most kids are in bed (unless they're running into the road chasing a football ). Should be regulated for school opening/closing times.

Sticking to most limits ain't hard, just takes practice

Andy

Quick Reply: Anti camera plates?