Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why are schools closing today

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2008, 08:30 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are schools closing today

Heard on the radio that quite a number of schools are closing at lunchtime today, because it might snow

Cant we british cope with the weather changes or something ?

(its ok, its a rhetorical question )
Old 01 February 2008, 08:43 AM
fivealive
BANNED

It's the Heads and/or Chair of Governors who close them ...... quite a nice long weekend for the Teachers

Pain in the 4rse for the parents who have kids to now take care of - when us normal folk would have to fight into work

But, be fair, teachers do struggle for leave
Old 01 February 2008, 08:45 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Its 'cos kids nowadays dont know they're born...
plus the fact that none of them have proper 'ovver coats' like we did as kids when we sat witha coat on and a snotty nose all day.
Old 01 February 2008, 09:11 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It's because the government fail to invest in global warming, doing their futile upmost to try and reduce world temperature
It's because the liberal lefty government are trying to turn the next generation into wimps
The only teacher I know well is 'Mrs Abdabz To Be' who also happens to be the hardest worker I know... If her school shuts this afternoon, she will still be there till close (as will her colleagues) working away while the soft kids go go and play in the cold
Old 01 February 2008, 12:41 PM
fivealive
BANNED

I know 70 Teachers ....................

Friday is 'Alcohol in the StaffRoom' day ......
Old 01 February 2008, 01:07 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

"0.5 inches of Travel Chaos" Forecast!

Steve
Old 01 February 2008, 01:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fivealive
It's the Heads and/or Chair of Governors who close them ...... quite a nice long weekend for the Teachers
Errm.........actually, it's only the kids that get to go home.

Pain in the 4rse for the parents who have kids to now take care of
Sorry, these were schools closing, not daycare centres. Teachers aren't child minders you know

Alcazar
Old 01 February 2008, 01:51 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

I guess we can't have snow falling then little Jonny going outside, it maybe a bit icy, he may fall over and hurt himself, and then sue the school.

No chance of snow down in the South East at the moment, not a cloud in the sky!!
Old 01 February 2008, 02:18 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Well I have to say how fantastic the weather forecasters have been

We had a torrential blizzard downpour of snow for 14 seconds
Old 01 February 2008, 02:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

< looks out window to see a proper blizzard >

Soft bloomin' UK

We're under a winter storm warning at the moment, looks like we'll be getting 20 - 25 cm of snow between now and tomorrow morning. Now that I could see schools being closed for, both here and in the UK. Difference is the UK would just go *wibble* as it can't cope with 5cm snow
Old 01 February 2008, 02:35 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Markus
as it can't cope with 5cm snow
5mm more like
Old 01 February 2008, 09:29 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

POETS day - half an excuse and... gone!
Old 06 April 2008, 12:18 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a number of reasons, none of which are to do with teachers themselves but everything to do with the expectations society dumps on them nowadays, as the ignorant comments earlier in the thread demonstrate. Teachers are not childminders. Parents can and do expect teachers to have total control over their class's safety and security whilst at school. The principle is called 'in loco parentis' meaning in practice teachers do their utmost best for the children in their class. If half the staff at school cannot get in because of bad weather for whatever reason, you then have a situation where your child (assuming you have children) will be one of perhaps several hundred supervised by very few adults who can't be everywhere at once and certainly would have no chance of actually teaching any worthwhile lessons. Let me repeat again, teachers are not childminders. Schools also have a duty to supply hot school meals to those children who want them. This also can be a problem during bad weather. If you've ever seen how hard school catering staff have to work for the short period they have to cook and serve up dinner you'd know how this would cause big problems if a few couldn't get in. Think also of break time. Not enough staff means not enough supervision which is difficult enough within the structured setting of a classroom but in the playground? And lastly and most lamentable, is the rising tendency of British people to blame others for their own problems and seek to pin responsibility for their children on other people, even more so if there's money to be made. It only needs one parent to complain that their child slipped on the ice outside, or didn't get their lunch, or got in a fight because there was no adult supervising properly, and before you know it you've got a school being sued by a parent. That happens. Children are not pieces of paperwork that need to be shuffled, or cans that need to be filled with beans, or a quota of calls that need to be answered within an hour. They are an incredible responsiblity who must be looked after by their own parent(s) if there is any significant possibility that a school cannot do so in the normal way.

Count yourself lucky we even still have a free-of-charge education system open to all.
Old 06 April 2008, 06:12 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

It's not free, it's paid for through taxes.
Old 06 April 2008, 11:01 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Teachers do themselves no favours with this sort of soft excuse. No wonder they're perceived as useless, whinging and taking too much time off.
Old 06 April 2008, 11:58 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by silent running
There are a number of reasons, none of which are to do with teachers themselves but everything to do with the expectations society dumps on them nowadays, as the ignorant comments earlier in the thread demonstrate. Teachers are not childminders. Parents can and do expect teachers to have total control over their class's safety and security whilst at school. The principle is called 'in loco parentis' meaning in practice teachers do their utmost best for the children in their class. If half the staff at school cannot get in because of bad weather for whatever reason, you then have a situation where your child (assuming you have children) will be one of perhaps several hundred supervised by very few adults who can't be everywhere at once and certainly would have no chance of actually teaching any worthwhile lessons. Let me repeat again, teachers are not childminders. Schools also have a duty to supply hot school meals to those children who want them. This also can be a problem during bad weather. If you've ever seen how hard school catering staff have to work for the short period they have to cook and serve up dinner you'd know how this would cause big problems if a few couldn't get in. Think also of break time. Not enough staff means not enough supervision which is difficult enough within the structured setting of a classroom but in the playground? And lastly and most lamentable, is the rising tendency of British people to blame others for their own problems and seek to pin responsibility for their children on other people, even more so if there's money to be made. It only needs one parent to complain that their child slipped on the ice outside, or didn't get their lunch, or got in a fight because there was no adult supervising properly, and before you know it you've got a school being sued by a parent. That happens. Children are not pieces of paperwork that need to be shuffled, or cans that need to be filled with beans, or a quota of calls that need to be answered within an hour. They are an incredible responsiblity who must be looked after by their own parent(s) if there is any significant possibility that a school cannot do so in the normal way.

Count yourself lucky we even still have a free-of-charge education system open to all.
firstly i have no real axe to grind about teachers.

We do pay for the education system, it is not free we pay taxes ans council taxes towards it wether we want to or not, even if you send you kids private you still pay the state as well, hardly fair is it.

Teacher training days - why can't they be during school hols, kids take two weeks off (Easter) then an additional day for training - cost to us - a extra days holiday (assuming we can get the time off) or 45.00 for a child minder.

Not blaming the teachers but this is real unfair as a parent and someone who gets just 20-25 days holiday and works some 45+ hours a week.

As a parent i accept responsibilty for having kids and for educating and bringing them up properly and with a good set of values/right from wrong, please do not tar all parents with the same brush!
Old 06 April 2008, 12:06 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

it seams to me, that the one teachers who do any work, are student teachers!!

as they have to do both teaching work + the uni course stuff as well
my G/F is training up at the moment (nearly finished) and she is having a bit of a rough ride getting swapped backwards and forwards around different schools, throwing all her pre planned lesson plans and stuff out the window, while the regular teachers just get to cream it with **** all to do (read from this book, answer these questions!)

at the moment i`m struggling to play games on my pc as shes always on doing fecken prep work for lessons

its killing me

not to mention the vast amount of printer carts we now use LOL
Old 06 April 2008, 05:47 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I know 70 Teachers ....................

Friday is 'Alcohol in the StaffRoom' day ......
Staff room? Most of them around here are in the boozer before even the tradesman have knocked off for the weekend
Old 06 April 2008, 10:00 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Old 07 April 2008, 12:28 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Our school or should I say zoo is ridiculous here.

Elec went off one afternoon, after 30 minutes they were panicking and phoning all the parents to come and collect their kids did they have no incentive to get them all in the hall doing P.E or something, they only had like a hour max before school was finished for the day anyways!

The headteacher is as much use as a chocolate fireguard and the rest of the teachers don't like going to work because of her as she makes everyones lives a misery, no wonder the kids are the way they are, can't blame the kids at the end of the day as I've seen how the school is run, it's comical sometimes but at the end of the day look at what the kids education is going to be like because the school is a mess.

In my daughters class (age 4-5 years old) the kids are coming to school asking other kids if they see their mam and dad having sex so they obviously see it going on, I'm thinking of starting to put a condom in my little ones bag as she is coming home telling me all about it and she even tells me who goes round speaking about it, tackle the headteacher about it and she doesn't want to know, so she has her priorities right then, get in a flap when the electric goes off but when kids are bringing that and bad language to school she shrugs it off
Old 07 April 2008, 12:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Julz1983
Our school or should I say zoo is ridiculous here.

Elec went off one afternoon, after 30 minutes they were panicking and phoning all the parents to come and collect their kids did they have no incentive to get them all in the hall doing P.E or something, they only had like a hour max before school was finished for the day anyways!

The headteacher is as much use as a chocolate fireguard and the rest of the teachers don't like going to work because of her as she makes everyones lives a misery, no wonder the kids are the way they are, can't blame the kids at the end of the day as I've seen how the school is run, it's comical sometimes but at the end of the day look at what the kids education is going to be like because the school is a mess.

In my daughters class (age 4-5 years old) the kids are coming to school asking other kids if they see their mam and dad having sex so they obviously see it going on, I'm thinking of starting to put a condom in my little ones bag as she is coming home telling me all about it and she even tells me who goes round speaking about it, tackle the headteacher about it and she doesn't want to know, so she has her priorities right then, get in a flap when the electric goes off but when kids are bringing that and bad language to school she shrugs it off
Terrible - time to talk to the press if getting nowhere with the school.

My daughters school is superb, she is 5 and enjoys it no end, teachers are great, head is enthusiastic and a decent chap and we are forever getting emails telling us what is going on and in some cases if we would like to help/contribute time/materials. She was being bullied, they put a stop to this immediately.
Old 07 April 2008, 01:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wow, there really is some ignorant bull**** in this thread.

If only people really knew how teaching works, its laughable and I'm amazed anyone actually chooses to do it. Imagine no teachers and no education system, then the parents would have something to whinge about (and I'm a parent myself).
Old 07 April 2008, 01:13 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver

If only people really knew how teaching works, its laughable and I'm amazed anyone actually chooses to do it. Imagine no teachers and no education system, then the parents would have something to whinge about (and I'm a parent myself).
Tell me about it, my girlfriend is only a student teacher but when shes in placement for the 6 weeks I dont half know about it. I suffer just as much!
Old 07 April 2008, 03:11 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

That's the first sensible post i've seen on here so far!

So many people have so little clue! The post about the headteacher getting her priorities wrong especially made me laugh. Personally I think no electricity is far more of a concern than two kids talking about sex in the playground! I also find it funny that they were talking about something that they had seen at home yet somehow it's the teacher's fault, not the parents' who had been putting on the 'show' in question!
Old 07 April 2008, 04:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
That's the first sensible post i've seen on here so far!

So many people have so little clue! The post about the headteacher getting her priorities wrong especially made me laugh. Personally I think no electricity is far more of a concern than two kids talking about sex in the playground! I also find it funny that they were talking about something that they had seen at home yet somehow it's the teacher's fault, not the parents' who had been putting on the 'show' in question!
Precisely, as long as their is idiot parents that can't bring up their children properly, and will do anything BUT support teachers decisions there will be children that cant behave properly, and that isn't aimed at anyone in this thread, it is from living with a primary deputy head and seeing first hand what happens, and the sort of idiotic parents that are alive today.

In the current climate if a child is legitimately disciplined, the parents take it as a personal insult and fly into school to "defend" their little "angels" When I was at school if I got into trouble with a teacher then my parents would support the teacher in giving me a right bollocking, which ensured I didn't do the same thing again.

My wife works in a school in a fairly rough area and I have told her to phone me if required as she often gets big fat tattooed dads threatening them.

I could go on for years about how ridiculous the teaching system is and the ins and outs of it, but people will only see/hear what they want. As for someone saying that student teachers do more than teachers, ha, wait till they are an NQT and see what happens!!

On to holidays, they get decent time off, but the stupid gov't are trying to standardise it which means all teachers and parents/children will be on holiday AT THE SAME TIME - don't forget some teachers are also parents.

Not only does that mean everywhere is busy, it also means we pay double for holidays, and any sort of long weekend is out of the question in term time, I even have to miss a friends wedding soon cos its on a Friday.

The whole system is flawed thanks to Labour, I would love to see anyone on here go and teach for a month or two, I know I couldn't do it at all without having to lamp a parent in the first week.
Old 07 April 2008, 04:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Precisely, as long as their is idiot parents that can't bring up their children properly, and will do anything BUT support teachers decisions there will be children that cant behave properly, and that isn't aimed at anyone in this thread, it is from living with a primary deputy head and seeing first hand what happens, and the sort of idiotic parents that are alive today.

In the current climate if a child is legitimately disciplined, the parents take it as a personal insult and fly into school to "defend" their little "angels" When I was at school if I got into trouble with a teacher then my parents would support the teacher in giving me a right bollocking, which ensured I didn't do the same thing again.

My wife works in a school in a fairly rough area and I have told her to phone me if required as she often gets big fat tattooed dads threatening them.

I could go on for years about how ridiculous the teaching system is and the ins and outs of it, but people will only see/hear what they want. As for someone saying that student teachers do more than teachers, ha, wait till they are an NQT and see what happens!!

On to holidays, they get decent time off, but the stupid gov't are trying to standardise it which means all teachers and parents/children will be on holiday AT THE SAME TIME - don't forget some teachers are also parents.

Not only does that mean everywhere is busy, it also means we pay double for holidays, and any sort of long weekend is out of the question in term time, I even have to miss a friends wedding soon cos its on a Friday.

The whole system is flawed thanks to Labour, I would love to see anyone on here go and teach for a month or two, I know I couldn't do it at all without having to lamp a parent in the first week.
Cannot disagree with a lot of that other than lumping all parents in together.
We take an active interest and involvement in our daughters education. If she is disciplined then i would want to know both sides of the story to form an opinion.

NL have made it almost impossible to discipline or remove disruptive kids due to their inability to do anything other than sticking plaster solutions by leftie PC fools!

Not all parents are bad/disinterested/**** parents, the ones that are tend to have badly behaved kids, these should be targeted to make better parents and how to bring up their.

It all begins at home although teachers like the rest of society have a part to play - an important part.
Old 07 April 2008, 05:07 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I really do wish it was as easy as people make out! Mind you, if it was then i'm sure there wouldn't be a shortage of teachers now would there?

Regarding the holidays, over Easter I had nine days exta off than a mate. Over those nine days I had 60 pieces of GCSE coursework to mark, each of which took on average 40 minutes, plus then I had a few days of A-Level coursework to mark too!

Those who don't teach don't have a clue and it's easy to criticise something you know nothing about. I really do wish it was as simple as some people make out.

I MUST stop getting drawn into these threads!
Old 07 April 2008, 09:39 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Cannot disagree with a lot of that other than lumping all parents in together.
We take an active interest and involvement in our daughters education. If she is disciplined then i would want to know both sides of the story to form an opinion.

NL have made it almost impossible to discipline or remove disruptive kids due to their inability to do anything other than sticking plaster solutions by leftie PC fools!

Not all parents are bad/disinterested/**** parents, the ones that are tend to have badly behaved kids, these should be targeted to make better parents and how to bring up their.

It all begins at home although teachers like the rest of society have a part to play - an important part.
I agree with you Paul, and I am a parent myself albeit of a 1 year old so I don't know the school system as a parent yet.

Just to add, my wife deals with parents that are excellent, much like I imagine you and your mrs are, so its not ALL parents.

Teachers have a huge part to play, but they are not allowed to play that part properly thanks to the namby pamby gov't, and the "I deserve everything" parents/children that exist.
Old 07 April 2008, 10:10 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Precisely, as long as their is idiot parents that can't bring up their children properly, and will do anything BUT support teachers decisions there will be children that cant behave properly,

In the current climate if a child is legitimately disciplined, the parents take it as a personal insult and fly into school to "defend" their little "angels"
I will be having very strong words with one of the teachers tomorrow, as I dont believe forcing a child to miss his lunch (just turned 6 years old) because he was running in the corridor a legitmate form of discipline

Especially when this child is diagnosed as Autistic and the school refuse to believe there is anything wrong with him other than being naughty

I started this thread a while ago, because I was surprised at just how many schools had decided to close because it 'MIGHT' snow, not because it had snowed and was blizzard snow that all transport had ground to a halt, but that it might snow.

I work in a lot of different schools so I do get to meet and speak to a lot of teachers during the week, and on occasion I do speak to them about how they deal with certain things in their shool to see how things compare to the school the kids go to
Old 08 April 2008, 09:38 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I can't wite everything down that happens at this school as it would take all day, my previous point was just an example, maybes I should have said the kid in question who talks about this is quite 'violent' for her age, she cut my daughter under the eye with a pair of scissors, when the issue was raised the headteacher came across as though she would have been bothered if the scissors had actually taken her eye out but because that hadn't happened then it was dismissed, the same girl has stabbed another kid in the neck with a pencil, constantly hits and slaps others, but her parents are never hauled in about any of it so when the victims parent goes in the headteacher doesn't like hearing what has went on but will instead find something about your child to fire at you, for example mine had apparently shouted out in class instead of sitting waiting with her hand up she's 5 for crying out loud

I will be changing schools as soon as I can find a decent one round here, it isn't just me who has these problems, I don't think there's one parent happy with what goes on and a few actually dread home time, we have been in touch with our local authority who told us to write a complaint letter to them with all the signatures on and they would deal with it.

Just another thing, is it compulsory to have a headteacher AND a deputy head, or can there just be a headteacher and no deputy head?

Quick Reply: Why are schools closing today