Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Aircraft landing overshoot

Apologies if SIAL

YouTube - Jet crash on short runway

stick with it, video gets interesting
Old 28 January 2008, 03:31 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blimey, I'm not a pilot, but it looked like he came in awfully quickly!!!

At least everyone (apart from the insurance people, presumably!) was ok!!
Old 28 January 2008, 03:31 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Too fast on a wet short runway. Only one thing going to happen.
Old 28 January 2008, 04:31 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Made all the worse by what looks like the ground crew knowing it was going to happen, so lets get the video camera out to record it crash.

Would like to know the full story behind it, as quite why a bus. jet pilot would land with a tail wind on a runway that is clearly too short for the aircraft, is beyond me.
Old 28 January 2008, 04:40 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

EBC brake bads: don't work too well on first application when cold

Seems planes don't make very effective jet boats though
Old 28 January 2008, 04:52 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

What always gets me is the glee with which fellow pilots view these things!
I've been there and done it, sat in the cafe sniggering with a crowd of others when some dummy balloons before smacking it on the tarmac.
Old 28 January 2008, 06:36 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
What always gets me is the glee with which fellow pilots view these things!
I've been there and done it, sat in the cafe sniggering with a crowd of others when some dummy balloons before smacking it on the tarmac.
LOL, I remember a few years back, I took a PA28 out for a trip down the East Coast. What the wx forecast said and what actually came to be were a bit at odds with each other, and I very nearly called a PAN as I battled my way back to the airfield. (the RNAV was reading a G/S of 35k at one point, along with a lowering cloud base, and it WAS NOT in the TAF to be half as bad as it became).

For a weekend, the LARS was empty and upon returning to the airfield, there was nobody on the A/G radio either. Pulled off a rather nice landing into a wind straight down the runway, but with significant gusts it was a challenge non the less. I didnt' bother with the drag flaps, it was that bad.

In the club house, I signed the aircraft back in, and didn't think much more of it, until the only other aircraft still to return appeared on the radio, and EVERYBODY went to the window to watch, with random comments about crashing etc. It was like a pack of wild animals baying for blood.
Old 28 January 2008, 10:43 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I learnt to fly at Dunkeswell, and there was an instructor there called Mike Moore, great guy who would take you up in all weathers just for a go. I never got the hang of finding my way around and would get lost pronto if I didn't have a coastline to follow. ( easy to find one of those in Devon at least! ) I used to just like the flying, and would spend hours going around the circuit, practising late go arounds and severe crosswind landings. After an hour of that I used to sit outside with the others watching the new boys having a go. The best ones were when they turned too early on the downwind leg. Short base leg, then onto finals. Too high, so they'd lower the nose, then too fast! close the throttle to idle, over the fence too high, desperate to kill both height and speed, and no room to manoever. Good money would be on landing at all costs, knowing we are watching and taking the pi$$... float for ever down the runway, full flap, late bouncy touch down, then swerve all over the place banging on full power and raising the flaps all at once, now desperate to get back up again before they whack the fence the other end. Great fun!
Old 29 January 2008, 01:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He was going like a bat out of hell especially with the help of the tailwind, not surprising he could not stop.

Prince Charles did a similar thing once with a 146 and damaged it quite badly. His supervising captain was in the deep kacky over that one!

Les