Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody stayed in Washington DC?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2008, 09:19 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody stayed in Washington DC?

We're looking for a place to stay on holiday for a couple of days and this looks OK.

Downtown Washington DC Hotels, Capitol Hill Reservations & Luxury Accommodations-Hyatt

We're a bit dubious since the rate seems too good to be true. Anybody know the place or stayed here? Is the area iffy?
Old 23 January 2008, 09:25 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I've been to DC a few times now and that whole area appears to be pretty safe -- each time I've been it's only been for 3-4 days though. The Hyatt chain are pretty good too! I stayed just down the road from the World Bank and therefore just a kick in the *** from the White House/Capitol Hill area. There's a lot of police presence in the area given the number of dignateries/senators so I should think you'd be okay. There's also a cool Irish bar in front of Capitol Hill which for some unknown reason I can't remember the name of but the food was good and it was really warm, welcoming and didn't make us feel like leaving anytime soon
Old 23 January 2008, 09:36 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Just to add, I stay in the Lombardy Hotel which for 200+ dollars a night could be a little better but it's all location, location, location. A quick step down the road and you are at the White House, a quick step in the other direction it's the Smithsonian and a couple of miles and it's Capitol Hill. But all the main tourist monuments are right there within walking distance. HTH. I know Daryl from on here has been there too in the last couple of years so maybe worth checking out where he stayed.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:00 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Washington is overrun with cops, so anywhere in the central area is pretty safe. Have a look here for some reviews of the Hyatt.

We've been twice and stayed at the Hay-Adams near the Whitehouse the first time and at the Ritz-Carlton in Georgetown the second. I preferred Georgetown as there are loads of good bars and restaurants to go to in the evening - downtown can be a bit dead after hours.

Other hotels that I can recommend (from having stayed in them in other locations), are the Sofitel and Jury's

It's a great city, enjoy yourself!

Old 23 January 2008, 10:08 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Yep, got to agree with Daryl, Georgetown is where it's at -- lots of pubs and restaurants and it's where the uni is so it's a pretty good vibe. We always spend most of our time on one main street there which is usually buzzin g. Downtown around the White House/World Bank is stone cold dead after working hours and is really good for......sleeping.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:12 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

We'd the read the reviews on trip advisor before and it put us off. The hotel just seemed too cheap and I think I can see why.

Lombardy looks nice, but they have a 3 day min stay in August and no a/c

The R-C looks great but a touch too pricey

At the moment the Sofitel looks good, but it's not clear if we can have an 8 y/o in the room with us.

Thanks for the help
Old 23 January 2008, 10:20 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Might be worth talking to Sofitel for the 8 y/old - most american places are very willing to accomodate -- service levels are somewhat elevated compared to say, Europe. It's one of the things I give the US a + on.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:30 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Nigel H
the Sofitel looks good, but it's not clear if we can have an 8 y/o in the room with us.
Their website does say that the rooms can accommodate up to 3 people, but I think the rooms all have only one bed - perhaps there is a roll-out or something? As STi-F suggests, try giving them a call.
Old 24 January 2008, 12:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't advise on the best value place to stay, the RAF used to pay for us when I used to go there.

There is lots to do, the Smithsonian for a start, and the Zoo as well as the Arboretum. Seeing the Capitol and you can get a tour of part of the White House. Georgtown is a pleasant place to look at and the Metro works very well and is spotlessly clean. The commentary from the driver can be entertaining too. Don't forget the Aerospace Musuem

Our experience was that is was always better value to eat at a restaurant rather than in the hotel.

Have a great time.

Les
Old 24 January 2008, 12:29 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

central DC and Georgetown are nice.

The rest of the place is an utter s***hole, so if you don't get around them after those first two areas, don't be too upset.

IMHO.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:38 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

I stayed at the Melrose back in September last year. It's only a 10 minute walk to Georgetown and around 30 minute walk to the White House.

Work was paying, so I'm not sure how it fits into your budget.

Dave.