Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVD Recorder

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2008, 07:03 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DVD Recorder

the parents video finally packed up last night after 9 years so it's replacement time
now they're worse than me when it come to anything technical so it has to be something simple (idiot proof) to use
i've said to go for a dvd recorder not a video which they've agread so which 1?

i saw this on ebay and it looks ideal - cheap, video+, scart connector and looks to play any disc - PHILIPS DVDR3480 DVD RECORDER DIVX ULTRA MULTIREGION on eBay, also Region Free DVD Recorders, DVD Recorders, DVD Home Cinema, Consumer Electronics (end time 23-Jan-08 20:11:04 GMT) what do you all think?

numpty question - if using a dvd-rw or dvd+rw does this mean they can be recordered over time after time (like a video tape) or are they a use once only as well?

thanks
Old 23 January 2008, 07:19 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HUMAX is the way to go
Old 23 January 2008, 07:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As Chip says, get a HDD based recorder such as a Topfield or Humax. DVD recorders can be a pain in the butt to set-up and all the discs with stuff you'll never watch again are such a waste. I've just got a Sony RDR HXD970 which is a digital Freeview tuner with 250gb HDD and DVD(+/-)R for archiving. I can't see me using the DVD recorder bit often as the HDD can store over 400 hours, but if I need to rip someone the odd missed Top Gear to disc then it'll write an hour long program in under a minute. Everything else on the HDD, deleted once watched or bored with without any additional media expense and no hassle. I got mine for £245, delivered, multi-regioned and with 2 free DVD's, but the price jumped up a bit the day after.
Old 23 January 2008, 08:08 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Had I done a bit more research on the subject, I'd have gone with something along the lines of Corrado's Sony. Especially for the little extra money, my Humax was £170, for the extra dosh the option to burn recorded stuff to disc would have been worth it.

How's the EPG on the Sony? The Humax is an absolute doddle.

I would definately say that if they are technophobes, and want hassle free, HD recording is better that DVD. I would only get DVD recording if it was alongside HD.
Old 23 January 2008, 08:35 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

what's Humax?

so with a HDD (1 with hard drive right?) i take it when you press record or type in the video+ number and it records it all goes straight to the hard drive?

do you then have a menu/ list so you can see whats stored and how long for? what happens if you press record halfway through a film/ program when you go to bed - does it keep recording until you press stop the next day?

after you've watched a recordered program do you just delete it or save it onto disc?

i was hoping for a recorder where a disc could be used over and over as with a video tape - can't you do this with rw discs?

told you i was useless
Old 23 January 2008, 08:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

RW's can be used, but erasing them each time is time-consuming and unnecessary when there's HDD systems. You simply set timer recordings using the Freeview EPG, and yes, they all appear in a list with options to delete, edit (trim out ads etc) and burn to disc (high speed). You can also use the HDD to store MP3's and JPEGs like a basic media server. The menu's are simple and intuitive, and the units are now very reliable. The *60 range by Sony were troublesome, but the *70 (hence 970) range use Pioneer internals and are rock solid.

I only had mine delivered yesterday and won't be putting it into proper use until I redecorate and reposition the TV and AV system, but a quick play out-of-the-box yesterday had me making recordings within seconds. It can also be set to record the last 1-2 hours of the channel it's on, so you can walk in half way through and just rewind it. You can start watching something that's recording before it's even finished too.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:40 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys appreciate the info but am sure he was thinking off something a bit less in price ie. around £80 ?? again nothing fancy but must have HDD.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The cheaper unknown brands have a reputation of performing better than the big names at the budget level. The Digifusion FVRT90/95 range seem OK for the cash, and will get you Freeview and an 80gb drive.
Old 24 January 2008, 11:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is worth remembering to turn its power off when you have finished with it since the HDD will keep running if you don't and wear out prematurely.

Les
Old 24 January 2008, 12:37 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I'm an HDD convert - the convience is great. I got a Digifusion twin tuner with 80GB HD and it's fine. I see you can get this spec for £90 from Comet now

Buy THOMSON DTI6300-16 | Digital tv recorder with top-up tv - Digital TV | Comet

I've no experience with this. Things I'd check - can it pause live TV - my Digi can and it's a great feature.

Series link - the SKY+ thing. My Digi hasn't got this, but the Humax has. I'd want this on the next one.
Old 24 January 2008, 01:01 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

If the TV has a Freeview tuner then the DVD recorders are fine, but only have one tuner. The Humax etc. have two tuners, which means you can record two channels at the same time, or record one while watching another.

If you press record on a programme that has already started then it will record from then until the end of that programme.

The main issue with HDD as I see it is lack of transportability. You can't take a tape to another room, or a mate's house to watch. The Humax does have an analogue out so you can watch recordings in a nother room.
Old 24 January 2008, 06:11 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

well i'm giving them my dvd/ video combo as i don't use the video so thats them sorted - i'm now looking for a HDD with dvd player

no rush so i'll have a look this weekend hopefully

thanks for all the help/ advice
Old 24 January 2008, 11:06 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking

The main issue with HDD as I see it is lack of transportability. You can't take a tape to another room, or a mate's house to watch. The Humax does have an analogue out so you can watch recordings in a nother room.
The Topfield and some models of Humax have a USB connection so you can copy the programmes onto your PC. I've done this may times with my Topfield so that I can watch stuff when I'm away on a business trip. You can also (with the right software) create a DVD of the programmes.
Old 11 August 2008, 05:13 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Default Thomson top-up tv box

Resurrected this thread as it relates kind-of to my problem.
We have had a Thomson top-up tv box, model is, I think, the 6300.
It essentially si a pretty good bit of kit, twin tuners, decent EPG etc BUT the reliability seems rubbish.
First box kept hanging wheneven you left the EPG on screen for a few seconds.
After a call to the top-up-tv people we reformatted the HD, reintalled s/w etc and it behaved ok before repeating the same and when you have a few things recorded and unwatched in the library, you lose them which is a PITA

So we got a replacement (from Argos)
the otehr night it would hang whenever I went into the library - it would list the recordings but then it hung. Power box off / on and it worked fine except as soon as you access the library it hung.

I reformatted the hd, went through the hassle of scanning for channels etc and it is working ok at the moment so, are any other users of this box having similar issues ?
Is there a similar alternative (we don't need the extras that you pay for with SKY+ and not paying for a subscription (we are just taking the freeview stuff, have terminated the contract for the top-up channels that we got an initial 1 month free for.
If it hangs again then it's going back but I'd want something that does pretty much the same for similar money (£100 or so)