Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rottweiler attacks nine-year-old

another dog attack...

BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Rottweiler attacks nine-year-old
Old 07 January 2008, 05:42 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

"This is the first time an incident involving this particular animal has come to our attention." ........... (but f*ck me it's not the first time the breed has eh?)
Old 07 January 2008, 05:47 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

There you go... prosecute the owner and destroy the dog.
Old 07 January 2008, 05:48 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Wait for the flood of Rottweiler owners claiming its the owner, how other breads attack all the time and the media are just victimising their breed etc...

Someone will dig out some attacks from a beagle and claim that beagles are just as dangerous.....
Old 07 January 2008, 05:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

There does seem to be a pattern emerging here,

i am sure some well meaning (maybe misguided) owner will say this is all media hype, i wonder how many other breeds have attacked children in the last two weeks or so...

I wonder justy how many more kids have to have their faces ripped off or killed before something is done, see my suggestions on the other thread re 'big dogs'

Oh, and that is not overdramatic or hype and i am a dog/animal lover!
Old 07 January 2008, 06:09 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
There you go... prosecute the owner and destroy the dog.
Prosecute the dog and destroy the owner
Old 07 January 2008, 06:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to set J4ckos mate on a Rottie.
Old 07 January 2008, 06:38 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Bully

Why hasn't this beast been destroyed.......and then kill the dog
Old 07 January 2008, 06:44 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yup, another dog attack. Yet again its not a poodle that has caused the issue.

Ban dangerous and aggressive dogs. If owners really want to own these things let them get a license.
Old 07 January 2008, 06:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

How many dogs bites were there last week again?

Oh thats right............... the UK dont compile statistics for dog bites/attacks

Do seem to be a few to many of them happening, thats for sure. But the media are like a dog themselves, get hold of a good stick and wont let it go. But will ignore all the other sticks in the park
Old 07 January 2008, 07:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Snazy
How many dogs bites were there last week again?

Oh thats right............... the UK dont compile statistics for dog bites/attacks

Do seem to be a few to many of them happening, thats for sure. But the media are like a dog themselves, get hold of a good stick and wont let it go. But will ignore all the other sticks in the park
To use your analogy the press pack will chase any stick that wiill get them a result so what you say is not quite true. It just so happens that there have been several types of attack on children by the same breed of dog, i do not think the press is making it up nor beating the animals 'till they attack to get their result.

These dogs are attacking people, in these cases kids and deaths have resulted. You can argue all you want about who's fault and why.

How to fix this situation is the key surely - what do people think is the best course of action.

IMHO - Perhaps it is time to licence bigger and more powerful dogs as per the firearm licences with the relevant (yearly) checks, ensure the animals are only avaliable through legit means, tagged properly, etc.

This will ocst and should be passed onto the owners if they wish to have such animals.
Old 07 January 2008, 07:18 PM
Lisawrx

Maybe a license would be a good idea, but (and I'm not comparing animals to cars as such), but there are plenty of people on the roads with a license and it doesn't stop them driving like an idiot.
Old 07 January 2008, 07:19 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
How to fix this situation is the key surely - what do people think is the best course of action.

IMHO - Perhaps it is time to licence bigger and more powerful dogs as per the firearm licences with the relevant (yearly) checks, ensure the animals are only avaliable through legit means, tagged properly, etc.

This will ocst and should be passed onto the owners if they wish to have such animals.
Too many Rottweilers in areas you wouldn't want to drive through, let alone stop, that's part of the problem!

Licenses, tattoos or chip, mandatory 3rd party insurance, enough garden with secure fencing should be a requirement to start with.
Old 07 January 2008, 07:33 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Exactly how these dogs and children get in contact with each other is what i`d like to know, like as been said there should be some sort of registration of such breeds, responsible owners should accept this. Any dog found out roaming without its owner or without being on a lead/muzzled the owner should be fined heavy, thats of course if it has an owner. We`ve got a dog now it`s not a bit nasty but there is two gates one locked before he could get out into the street on his own.
Old 07 January 2008, 09:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

To use your analogy the press pack will chase any stick that wiill get them a result so what you say is not quite true. It just so happens that there have been several types of attack on children by the same breed of dog, i do not think the press is making it up nor beating the animals 'till they attack to get their result.

These dogs are attacking people, in these cases kids and deaths have resulted. You can argue all you want about who's fault and why.

Im not suggesting for one second that the press are making things up, however once the spotlight falls upon a subject, it receives critical attention.

Example, loss of the CD's with peoples personal details on them. Once the BIG story had been covered, suddenly the media has an interest in this sort of story as it sells papers.
Or do you think people repsonsible for posting this sort of data have suddenly been struck down with the dumb bug ? There is data going missing left right and centre now. Has this only just started happening?

I do think the number of attacks is getting stupid now. However would love to know the TRUE figures of people treated in hospitals in 2007 for dog bites.
I was bitten as a child by a collie. Renowned for being vicious attack dogs, and without a doubt should have made the DDA. Thats my opinion as the victim of a collie bite anyway.

Proper control and regulation IS needed, and people need to start acting in a responsible nature. Putting a collar and lead on a dog for example is NOT difficult. Keeping your dog under control is also not difficult. And if you cant control it, i.e it can pull you over, you should again be responsible and not walk it in public.

My dog is so well trained, my dog comes always when I call it, my dog would never do that, me dog is placid, my dog loves kids........ All in fantasy land.

My dog is a wild animal, that considers me his pack leader. If I fail to keep him in check, he CAN turn, he CAN harm, he CAN kill..... As long as people are sensible enough to realise these things, and act accordingly, things would be a damn sight safer.

Perfect safety is to destroy all dogs. But then dogs are one of many things that cause harm. Got to start somewhere I guess, so I would indeed support tighter regulation, tougher penalties, and licencing would suit me fine.

Im not for one second going to say that dogs are not dangerous. They are. But treated with the respect they deserve, they can be safe too.... Just like all our cars
Old 08 January 2008, 10:04 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Obviously nothing to do with the breed, if it was we'd probably have threads about rottie attacks every week
Old 08 January 2008, 10:10 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Man, the media pick up on the lastest thing they want to make into the "worlds biggest evil®" and you all swallow it like sheep. No wonder this place is the way it is with regards to immigration/paedophilia/crime/other over exagerated problems.

Try and use a bit of rationale. How many dogs are there in the country? How many serious attacks? Divide one number by the other and you see that there really isn;t a problem that reaquires legislation - Deal with owners and dogs as is presently the case - Job done.
Old 08 January 2008, 10:30 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Woaah. The saddo infractors are out in force in this thread. People are allowed to make a point and if you don't agree provide a valid argument back. Those dishing out the infractions clearly know the comments are valid and hence cant provide a valid reply.
Old 08 January 2008, 10:31 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The dangerous dogs argument is the same as the one the yanks use over guns. We all know what we think of the yanks and their gun culture.
Old 08 January 2008, 10:34 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
The dangerous dogs argument is the same as the one the yanks use over guns. We all know what we think of the yanks and their gun culture.
I'm not seeing the correlation between guns and dogs to be fair. One is a man made device expressly designed to kill people and the other is, like, a dog.

I'm not sure we have many breeds of dogs here soley desgined to kill?
Old 08 January 2008, 10:38 AM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by Luminous
Yup, another dog attack. Yet again its not a poodle that has caused the issue.

Ban dangerous and aggressive dogs. If owners really want to own these things let them get a license.
Agree with this, people who wants dangerous and aggressive dogs should get a license
Old 08 January 2008, 10:42 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I'm not seeing the correlation between guns and dogs to be fair. One is a man made device expressly designed to kill people and the other is, like, a dog.

I'm not sure we have many breeds of dogs here soley desgined to kill?
It's clear a number of breeds have been bred over the years giving them a huge potential to do serious damage and kill people if they are owned by the wrong people (going by what most say on here). There is no reason people have to own these types of dogs. There are plenty of other breeds which would be far less dangerous in the wrong hands. The yanks always argue that guns don't kill, people do. Well if you take away the guns then it negates that argument either way to a degree. Same situation could be applied here.
Old 08 January 2008, 10:46 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
It's clear a number of breeds have been bred over the years giving them a huge potential to do serious damage and kill people if they are owned by the wrong people (going by what most say on here). There is no reason people have to own these types of dogs. There are plenty of other breeds which would be far less dangerous in the wrong hands. The yanks always argue that guns don't kill, people do. Well if you take away the guns then it negates that argument either way to a degree. Same situation could be applied here.
Still not seeing how the argument can be applied.

Guns are explicitly designed to kill.

Domestic Dogs aren't.

Put it this way, given the choice, what situation would you rather be in, stood with someone pointing a gun to your head, or faced with a barking dog?
Old 08 January 2008, 10:48 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Maybe we should ban cars because I've seen people killed bar cars you know! they are dangerous things and I dont think they belong on our roads!!! And get this I've even seen water kill someone.. Yes thats right WATER!! I vote for prompt closure of all swiming pools and the filling in of all ponds and lakes!
Old 08 January 2008, 10:50 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Man, the media pick up on the lastest thing they want to make into the "worlds biggest evil®" and you all swallow it like sheep. No wonder this place is the way it is with regards to immigration/paedophilia/crime/other over exagerated problems.

Try and use a bit of rationale. How many dogs are there in the country? How many serious attacks? Divide one number by the other and you see that there really isn;t a problem that reaquires legislation - Deal with owners and dogs as is presently the case - Job done.
Peter, the current system is reactive, even though you dismiss these attacks as media hype or foccussing on a non problem i think you will find the victims of the attacks feel somewhat different!

The analogy with guns holds some water, both, if abused or used by untrained or 'bad' people have the capacity to do serious harm.

Big powerful dogs are more liklely to inflict serious if not fatal injuries on children/adults than smaller and/or less powerful breeds - i am not saying all will but have the capacity to do so. If people can just go buy these animals and do with them what they want. These days this just does not make good sense to me.

Not all owners are irresponsible, far from it but i do believe you need to proactively think and deal with the not so good owners.

If it aint broke dont fix it does not really apply here Peter as how do you deifne broke, less that three reported attacks or more tha 3 or is it a different number.

As i have mentioned a few times before
People know their rights and seldom their responsibilities.

Last edited by The Zohan; 08 January 2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: editied due to my p1ss poor typing accuracy
Old 08 January 2008, 10:54 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I think what STi is trying to say is take away the dogs classed as dangerous out of the gene pool and problem would be solved, guess it'd be a ban them from breeding type thing rather than shoot all rottys lol.

Not that Im agreeing with that interpretation, just saying
Old 08 January 2008, 10:54 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

The analogy with guns holds some water, both, if abused or used by untrained or 'bad' people have the capacity to do serious harm..
Where do you draw the line though!

Knives, Sicssors, Cars, Rope, Power Tools.. the list goes on.. All are dangerous in the wrong hands..

How about instead of focusing on blanket legislation we focus more on educating society before we are living in a world of morons who would quite hapilly walk of a cliff if there wasnt a sign saying "Do not walk of this cliff"..
Old 08 January 2008, 10:55 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Peter, the current system is reacrtive, evnt though you dismiss these attacks as media hype or foccussing on a non problem i think you will find the victims of the attacks feel somewhat different!
Of course the victims feel different, but on the whole its not an issue that needs a change in legislation. Far more people die in car accidents, presumably you want to see a change in speed limits to reduce them?

The analogy with guns holds some water, both, if abused or used by untrained or 'bad' people have the capacity to do serious harm.
It holds about as much water as a paper bag.
Big powerful dods are more liklely to inflict serious if not fatal injuries on children/adults than smaller and/or less powerful breeds - i am not saying all will but have the capacity to do so. If people can just go buy these animals and do with them what they want. These days this just does not make good sense to me.
Right, but as a percentage, how many big dogs kill people?

I bet its something like 0.01% probabaly less

Now, do you legislate for the majority or the infintesimally small minority?
Old 08 January 2008, 10:58 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Now, do you legislate for the majority or the infintesimally small minority?
Silly question! This country is run by middle class Liberal FREAKS; ofcourse they will legislate for the tiniest of tiny minorities, thats what they do best

And Muslims dont like dogs.. they are filthy animals! tut tut you owners!

And dont forget owning a dog is a luxury that is already taxed, maybe they will just increase the dog tax errrr I mean license... For certain 'dangerous' breeds.. Hey lets have a 'Band G' breed that costs 400 quid a year to tax.. I mean license..

Last edited by [Davey]; 08 January 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08 January 2008, 11:05 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Guns are explicitly designed to kill.

Domestic Dogs aren't.

Put it this way, given the choice, what situation would you rather be in, stood with someone pointing a gun to your head, or faced with a barking dog?
It's clear that some breeds of dog when they do attack cause huge damage so lets take the potential for them to do so away from people. Even the best owner of any dog can not be 100% certain they can control that dog all the time.

depends who's holding the gun and who's holding the dog... and which breed

Quick Reply: Rottweiler attacks nine-year-old