Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog attack girl has 100 stitches

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2008, 11:43 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog attack girl has 100 stitches

Maybe they should put the owners down as well as the dog in these cases.

BBC NEWS | Wales | Dog attack girl has 100 stitches

Chip
Old 06 January 2008, 11:54 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Oh, a bull terror. Odd as they're such nice and good natured dogs, what a huge surprise to see one in the news for attacking someone. Obviously entirely down to the owner and nothing to do with the fact that it's a modern day t-rex in miniature.

Hope the guy gets sentenced as if he'd bit her himself.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:04 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
Oh, a bull terror. Odd as they're such nice and good natured dogs.
Like any dog in the right hands.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:12 PM
stressymare
Scooby Regular

i have a Staffordshire Bull Terrior and tbh its how you bring the dog up

my vet asvised me to get a Staffie when i asked her about a family dog

and she was right

my dog is the softest animal on the planet

but thats how i brought her up to be

blame the owners not the breed

Old 06 January 2008, 12:19 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I am expecting a regular arguement to begin quite soon, but am staying out of this one.

Feel for the poor victim of the attack. No doubt will be afraid of dogs for a while. Speedy recovery.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:23 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
Oh, a bull terror. Odd as they're such nice and good natured dogs, what a huge surprise to see one in the news for attacking someone. Obviously entirely down to the owner and nothing to do with the fact that it's a modern day t-rex in miniature.

Hope the guy gets sentenced as if he'd bit her himself.
In my view wanting a dog like this, should immediately disqualify you from owning one.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'd lay a pound to a pinch of snuff that the 21 year old owner had never been to a training class in his life.

Are some breeds easier to train than others? dl
Old 06 January 2008, 12:59 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
In my view wanting a dog like this, should immediately disqualify you from owning one.
Martin, it's a view shared by many but policing it would be nigh on impossible. If only it would be the case though.
Old 06 January 2008, 01:12 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I'd lay a pound to a pinch of snuff that the 21 year old owner had never been to a training class in his life.
I'd lay more that he never had his own 'childhood training' and hasn't a clue what's right from wrong.

Originally Posted by David Lock
Are some breeds easier to train than others? dl
Basic obedience training is pretty well uniform across the dog breed board, however like humans, some breeds learn quicker and obviously then go on to perform certain tasks easier due to their size etc.

Time, time and more time is usually the key. Sadly many dog owners largely ignore their pets apart from the odd bit of fuss. Pretty much the same as a lot of children appear today. No real interaction from their parents results in wayward, brainless, loose cannons.
Old 06 January 2008, 01:15 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

here we go again, let the arguments and insults commence

I see the news report said it was a good job the owner was around to get the dog off her

So where was the owner when the attack happened?

"She is just lucky the owner was around to prise the dog's jaws open because I don't think he was going to stop - I think she would have been finished if he hadn't been around. "

Just think if the owner had the dog on a lead and under proper control maybe the attack wouldnt have happened at all !!
Old 06 January 2008, 01:18 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by Snazy
I am expecting a regular arguement to begin quite soon, but am staying out of this one.

Feel for the poor victim of the attack. No doubt will be afraid of dogs for a while. Speedy recovery.

Ditto
Old 06 January 2008, 01:27 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
How does that work then? My mums sheep dog bit my niece, does that mean I can't own because I would really like one?

Anyway thats my last post on this as it just ends up with ********* blaming the dog without knowing anything about the owner and nothing about the dogs past. But go ahead and blame the dog you know best it seems.
Old 06 January 2008, 01:28 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5OLF
How does that work then? My mums sheep dog bit my niece, does that mean I can't own because I would really like one?

Anyway thats my last post on this as it just ends up with ********* blaming the dog without knowing anything about the owner and nothing about the dogs past. But go ahead and blame the dog you know best it seems.
I dont blame the dog at all, I blame the owner for getting the thing in the first place. Whats a sheep dog got to do with this?
Old 06 January 2008, 01:38 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Dog owners trotting out the normal rubbish about how you bring a dog up etc.

I bet that's what all dog owners say just prior to an attack on a small child.

...they should cull ALL of these dangerous dog breeds and force the owners to buy a cat or gerbil.
Old 06 January 2008, 01:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
here we go again, let the arguments and insults commence
Ya think?

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Just think if the owner had the dog on a lead and under proper control maybe the attack wouldnt have happened at all !!

So commonly the case. "but my dog is really well trained" and all that stuff.... Then this happens.

In public, on a lead is my opinion.
One of the neighbours has 3 staffs, the boys always walk them and ALWAYS on the lead. Out walking Tuvaaq this morning and what rounds the corner up ahead...... one.........two..........aah 3 white stafs, later and I mean LATER followed by the female owner (mother of the 2 boys who usually walk them) no leads, and nothing in her hands either. So if the **** hit the fan, she would have NO way of controlling them. Bravo..........IDIOT !

Is a lead on a dog REALLY such a big deal to manage I ask.
Old 06 January 2008, 01:40 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy

I bet that's what all dog woners say just prior to an attack on a small child.

...they should cull ALL of these dangerous dog breeds and force the owners to buy a cat or gerbil.
lol I said I would not get into this..

But...

Define "dangerous dog breeds"
Dogs are domesticated wild animals........ where do you stop?

All men should be culled too, as a few murder people over the course of the year, and they all have it in them.........

PS I have a Malamute and 9 rats, clever/dumb balance level?
Old 06 January 2008, 01:40 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Seriously...is a lead and a muzzle too much to ask
Old 06 January 2008, 01:41 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

...and a muzzle
For the dead culled ones?

Or as well as leads?

Aaah you edited it lol

A controlled dog on a lead, with a responsible owner on the end of it should at no time need a muzzle really.
Crowded areas for walks are a no no, I always move out of peoples way when I walk past, and always refuse if someone suddenly asks to approach us. They can wait til they are seen and welcomed by the dog, but never just appear at his mouth.

I can see the point of muzzles, and see where your coming from, but if people had more control over their damn dogs in the first place, and others had an ounce of common sense, it would be un needed.

Last edited by Snazy; 06 January 2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06 January 2008, 01:47 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Nice post, Dave. You can be proud of yourself.
Old 06 January 2008, 01:51 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I don't get all these people saying "blame the owners, not the breed". It cannot just be down to how these animals are brought up. Just how many children have been mauled by a poodle this year? Exactly.

Following the argument that it is all about the upbringing, then we should allow lions on our streets. I mean, there are lion tamers out there, and they can walk around their lions without getting eaten. That must mean its safe to let the whole of the population own lions and run around with them.

Clearly it is down to a combination of upbringing and also the nature of the animal. No matter how evil the owner has been, a hamster is yet to run out of the house and kill a passerby. This is not the case for the more dangerous dog breeds.

I don't think that just any old member of the general public should be able to own a dog like this. Maybe have a licensing scheme for those who are really desperate to own a dangerous dog breed.
Old 06 January 2008, 01:53 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks

Originally Posted by Spoon
Nice post, Dave. You can be proud of yourself.
Old 06 January 2008, 02:38 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I think the line too many cross is the level of the responsibility when choosing a breed. Dont want to train a dog? Get something you can easily manhandle if the worst was to happen.

Poodles DO bite, they are spiteful things, but are not really big enough or powerful enough to over power someone and cause serious harm.

Which is why people who are NOT interested in training, and controlling a dog properly should NOT be allowed the bigger breeds.
I dont believe the breed is simply to blame for one second, and put the emphasis on the "more intelligent" human owner.

Its a tough one to make the point on, but a poodle could easily kill a baby if it wanted to (full size not the toy) as could many other breeds of similar size.

Problem is as I have said over and over, trophy dogs. Look hard with a harness and no lead, carrying half a tree, and look you can pick my dog up by a stick while the dog holds on. Great, teach it not to let go....... The breeds so commonly frowned upon by people are the trophy dogs that people buy to look good. No clue about dogs, no interest in its welfare, as long as it makes them look good.

Stop idiots like that owning dogs, enforce (not that its really practical unless PCSO's took it as a role) the dog MUST be on a lead in public law, get harder with the penalties, and make breeders responsible to an extent of WHO they sell dogs to................ thats part of the way there to make dog ownership and encounters a little safer.

Originally Posted by Luminous
I don't get all these people saying "blame the owners, not the breed". It cannot just be down to how these animals are brought up. Just how many children have been mauled by a poodle this year? Exactly.

Following the argument that it is all about the upbringing, then we should allow lions on our streets. I mean, there are lion tamers out there, and they can walk around their lions without getting eaten. That must mean its safe to let the whole of the population own lions and run around with them.

Clearly it is down to a combination of upbringing and also the nature of the animal. No matter how evil the owner has been, a hamster is yet to run out of the house and kill a passerby. This is not the case for the more dangerous dog breeds.

I don't think that just any old member of the general public should be able to own a dog like this. Maybe have a licensing scheme for those who are really desperate to own a dangerous dog breed.
Old 06 January 2008, 03:43 PM
WRX marv
Scooby Regular

well i have 2 staffs ant there the softest things i have ever known & they have been brought alongside my 3 kids with out any probs,i have been bitten by a poodle,a lab & a yorkie terrier years ago..
for all you mindless morons who blame the breed & not the owners,what would you be like if you had some chav scum tormenting.teasing you,hitting & kicking you every day because they think it's fun when they snap,i'm sure you would snap eventualy (just a pity they choose the staff,they think it makes them look ard)..any dog will bite if brought by an idiot who has no respect for there self let alone others or thier pets!!!!!
Old 06 January 2008, 04:04 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol I said I would not get into this..

But...

Define "dangerous dog breeds"
Dogs are domesticated wild animals........ where do you stop?

All men should be culled too, as a few murder people over the course of the year, and they all have it in them.........

PS I have a Malamute and 9 rats, clever/dumb balance level?
Snazy - couldn't agree with you more! I think we should castrate ALL men - just incase they rape. I have dogs - I have Dogue de Bordeauxs (like in turner and hooch). the first thing people say is - "oh don't they dribble" - NO not as much as in the film - once again the portrayel of any animal in any type of media - its like mud - it sticks!

ANY dog can bite - cats can be just as vicious - should we take their claws out as a preventative measure? As a cat could blind a small child!

All animals need a firm but fair owner. once you lose the balance - you lose control of the animal.

However, all that said - I once had a friend who was a VERY responsible dog owner. she bought an English bull terrier and the thing was a nightmare. She took it training and put in a heap of measures suggested to her. Everytime her little boy went near the dog - the dog would get aggressive. Eventaully she went to a dog behaviourist, whom had many years experience in the field. She claimed that in her experience she'd only ever met TWO bad eggs - my friends was one of them - the other was also an english bull terrier. After some research it seemed that both the bad eggs were of the same blood line and concluded that, bad breeding or in-breeding may've taken place!

I wish the little girl all the luck in the world for a speedy recovery - but fail to see how banning dogs etc would make things right!
Old 06 January 2008, 04:09 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

using davyboys kneejerk system of logic, i think all cars should be culled as they keep running people over, i blame the cars not the drivers.
Old 06 January 2008, 04:34 PM
scottstiukppp
Scooby Regular

Why do people keep blaming the breed of dog?
ITS NOT THE DOGS FAULT!!!
Yes a bull terrier can be dangerous wether a staff,english,american but so can many other breeds.A dog will behave the way it does by the way its trained.
Being a Staff owner i would stick up for them as i do feel as soon as a tragic accident happins like this the breed of the dog is usually always mentioned and blamed.
Maybe the law should change to make it compulsary for all dog owners to have a dog licience.
Old 06 January 2008, 04:51 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Question for the Staff/Rottie/Doberman etc owners.

When you're out walking your dog(s) do people tend to look more nervously at you than if you were walking, say, a Springer Spaniel?

Why do YOU think that is? Please enlighten me. I can tell you why I'd look nervous. It's because the dog I'm looking at is quite likely to draw blood, lots of it, if it feels like it.

How the heckles am I supposed to know whether you are Barbara Woodhouses Grandson or not?

Human nature and a smidgeon of evolution means that most people are **** scared of animals that look likely to eat them. You dont see many people crossing the road to avoid cats/gerbils/Spaniels, again why?
Old 06 January 2008, 05:07 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

My Mrs used to own 3 English Bulls, got rid of all of them when we had our first child though. All dogs were brought up the same and treated the same but they all had differant temprements/charecteristics so how can you still say it is the owners fault with the upbringing. These dogs need the right owners though as they can be domineering.
One of them was great with people and animals, ideal pet. The other was ok with people other dogs was a differant matter. The third was totaly freaked out no body or animal was safe around her, so this one needed extra attention.
So if this story had been about any of her dogs getting out, then 99.9% it would have been the third dog that would have done this damage, so instantly she would be classed as a bad owner, however we used to have kids knocking our door asking if they could play with the 1st one.
Old 06 January 2008, 05:12 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman D. Landing
Question for the Staff/Rottie/Doberman etc owners.

When you're out walking your dog(s) do people tend to look more nervously at you than if you were walking, say, a Springer Spaniel?

Why do YOU think that is? Please enlighten me. I can tell you why I'd look nervous. It's because the dog I'm looking at is quite likely to draw blood, lots of it, if it feels like it.

How the heckles am I supposed to know whether you are Barbara Woodhouses Grandson or not?

Human nature and a smidgeon of evolution means that most people are **** scared of animals that look likely to eat them. You dont see many people crossing the road to avoid cats/gerbils/Spaniels, again why?

Yes, people look at Tuvaaq the same way.
Ignorance and lack of knowledge makes people act on the defensive. Its human nature.
As you say, its the way people are.

The dog should not be able to reach you, nor draw blood if its on a lead. Thats where responsibility comes into it. And the reverse for parents who allow their small kids to run all over the pavement and approach a completely unknown dog cos its "cute"

Ignorance also leads people to ask me if my dog is a wolf!

As for the smaller animals. Why are people afraid of spiders, and will bail out of a car if a bee flies in. It CAN sting you, but it didnt enter the car TO sting you..........

Ms Gooner, totally agree, there are indeed a few naturally bad ones out there, same as kids. Genetics is a wierd thing. IMO, a dog that cannot be brought under control and is vicious 24-7 sadly either needs keeping locked away safely for good, or destroying. Harsh but safest and fair.

Quick Reply: Dog attack girl has 100 stitches