Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paypal Dispute

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2008, 09:55 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paypal Dispute

Are there any people with experience of Paypal disputes?

I sold a Graphics card to someone Last November 12 who paid using paypal.
Today I get notice that a Paypal dispute has been started.

The message from the buyer stated that they were unable to get the card working and they had decided to buy a new PC so wished to have their money back.

Now, I KNOW the card works as it was taken from my own PC where it woked fine. I only sold my PC parts due to being maily bedbound and having to use a laptop.
After the buyer got the card I received an email stating the card had arrived and was working fine. A few days later I got an email saying that the card was artifacting and sometimes locking the PC. I made some suggestions regarding drivers and recent software installs. I never heard another thing from the buyer so assumed the problem had been rectified.

Where do I stand with regard to the dispute.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 04 January 2008, 10:04 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

1 - Make sure there is no money in your Paypal account,

2 - Make absolutely sure Paypal are barred from accessing any of your other accounts to withdraw funds,

3 - Send all correspondence referencing the transaction to the email address Paypal give to you in the dispute notification.

Point's 1 and 2 are of critical importance because 9 times out of 10, Paypal side with the scammer, sorry buyer
Old 04 January 2008, 10:13 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Hi CrisPDuk,

In point 2 do you mean bank accounts? If so, how do I make sure Paypal are barred from accessing it?

Last edited by magepaster; 04 January 2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04 January 2008, 10:28 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet it was the wrong type but he was too dumb to notice , I had the same thing.
Old 04 January 2008, 10:34 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I bet it was the wrong type but he was too dumb to notice , I had the same thing.
Ah yes, but he emailed me and told me it was working fine.
Old 04 January 2008, 10:41 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
1 - Make sure there is no money in your Paypal account,

2 - Make absolutely sure Paypal are barred from accessing any of your other accounts to withdraw funds,

3 - Send all correspondence referencing the transaction to the email address Paypal give to you in the dispute notification.

Point's 1 and 2 are of critical importance because 9 times out of 10, Paypal side with the scammer, sorry buyer
Do the above and expect the debt to be passed onto a collection agency and a CCJ against you.

Say goodbye to your cash if you sent the item to a non-verified address.

Paypal will always recover their cash from you one way or another. Mercenary company.
Old 05 January 2008, 03:50 AM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Have sent the buyer this message. I need opinions on its tone and wording.

I am dosed up on painkillers and others so am not completely lucid and am trying to type it appears using two keyboards and 6 monitors.

"Hi Scott, can you tell me why it has taken such a long time for you get back to me with this? Your first action is to open a Dispute. I am at a loss as to the reason you are making a claim. We both know you sent a mail to me after purchase stating that the card was working fine with no problems. A few days later you complain of artifacting. I gave you some advice regarding driver etc and never heard anything further regarding this.
Now a full TWO Months later just as you happen to be in the proccess of buying a new PC. You have thrown your dummy out of the pram and want me to pay you back for an item that you no longer need. I suggest to put it on ebay.

I am not going to be left with a card you have had for three months and done God knows what to it. I have no means to test any returned parts myself. But if you do feel the need to return the card I WILL get it tested. I cannot return money for an item you say is broken after innitially saying you were pleased with it. I am cofident that the card will pass all tests. If it fails due to anything you have done you will have the option of paying for the repair. If no problem can be found the card will be returned to you.
The title of your complaint is defermation of character inso much that it accuses me of lying when describing the card as being sometihng other than the sum of its parts. It also claims "not fit for purpose" If my test reveals evidence to the contrary I will again return the card to you.I will obtain a system to run the tests on. According to LAW as the complainent you will be responsible for paying for the item to be shipped to and from test. Understand that I only take return of the card if you can prove that it was faulty on arrival to you from me. Only then will I return any money paid for the item minus the cost of my shipping to you and the hire of a system to test the card in.
I do hope that testing will sort your troubles and you can get back to using the card in the way it is meant to be used."

Last edited by magepaster; 05 January 2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07 January 2008, 02:14 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Hmm. Have tried removing my bank details from Paypal to prevent any withdrawal as I would rather deal head on with the guy who bought the card. But I was unable to remove my account details as a "payment is is progress".

Surely Paypal can't be refunding this guy before the closing date of the dispute?!
Old 07 January 2008, 02:54 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Paypal are scammers themselves. Explain this one:
My brother sold a flamer kit to someone. They paid by paypal, item was sent special delivery. Item was delivered, good feedback was received from the buyer. Months later the money is taken back by paypal after a dispute. My brother posted the special delivery receipt to paypal and he clearly had feedback from the guy. Surprise surprise the buyers hotmail account was no longer valid so we couldn't contact him. He got his money back and my brother lost 1 flamer kit.
How can paypal possibly justify themselves?!
They are scammers
Old 07 January 2008, 03:02 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Afew points worth noting;

1) If the Scammer has let 60 days pass he cannot open up a dispute. So worth checking the date of sale carefully.
2) Always state in your listing what returns policy you give if any and how this must be done.
3) If you agree to a return it has to be within a specified time scale.
4) Never post anything unless it's recorded delivery or by Courier and signed for.

Now if you have listed the points above you just refer him to the terms of the listing. I'm having a similar problem with a Buyer who has damaged the machine and concocted load of nonsense to get a refund but after I agreed the return to inspect the "alleged" damage it has arrived 4wks later than it should do to be refunded. So dispute or otherwise he has not acted within the terms of my sale.

Unfortunately whatever you sell on E-Bay you have to dot every I and cross every T otherwise someone will try to nail you

Good luck
Old 07 January 2008, 03:04 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

And they are owned by eBay so they won't let someone better take over. Total and under rip off by all concerned.

good luck chap.

5t.
Old 07 January 2008, 03:19 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

From experience, the only time that PayPal will refund the buyers money is in a case of non-delivery.

This happened to me a while back- I bought some bullet cameras and a hard disk recorder from a guy on ebay, payed with PayPal. When it arrived it was all damaged and quite clearly second hand. It was a completely different unit to the one on the auction pic so I complained and the seller effectively told me to f off.

I raised a PayPal dispute, but didn't like the sellers response so escalated it to a claim. Within seconds of me opening the claim, PayPal closed the dispute. I had claimed the goods were 'substantially not as described'.

I can't remember the exact response from PayPal, but, in essence, it was that it the seller could prove I'd received the parcel and they were not in a position, nor were they under any obligation, to act when the goods were simply not as described. They suggested it was a civil matter and that I deal with it through the courts.

I suspect that you're quite safe providing that you can prove delivery.

Hope this helps.
Simon.
Old 07 January 2008, 04:56 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you had to open a dispute within 45 days?
Old 07 January 2008, 05:13 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I'm currently chasing someone through the small claims as Paypal took money back from me to give to some scammer on Ebay. I now have neither goods or money and all Paypal could advise was "contact the police".

Points above about making sure no money is in your account are wise words indeed.
I was in the process of transferring my funds to my bank account when Paypal snatched them back and passed them on to the scammer.

Courts are slow and frustrating, you don't want to end up there

As for your particular case, if you have an email from the buyer stating all was fine just pass it onto Paypal - case closed.
Old 07 January 2008, 05:47 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

He paid for the card on November 19th and filed the dispute of December 4th.
Now do I count the 19th as the first day or count as though the 20th is the first day from the 19th.

I make it 45 days from his payment. I get the feeling he is a pre purchase scammer and times his disputes as he buys items.