You can't win.

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2008, 04:56 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry You can't win.

BBC news.

If speed kills she must be one of the safest drivers on the road, and now she's banned
Old 04 January 2008, 04:58 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

You seem annoyed that she's banned?

7 days ? what a joke!. She's obviously totally incompetent behind the wheel.
Old 04 January 2008, 04:59 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Pedant mode

Speed is a measurement of the rate of motion, I think the general argument is that excess speed kills

Pedant mode off

Old 04 January 2008, 04:59 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
You seem annoyed that she's banned?

7 days ? what a joke!. She's obviously totally incompetent behind the wheel.
She has to retake her test and the chances that she will pass must be fairly low.
Old 04 January 2008, 05:01 PM
MiniShaz
Scooby Regular

Location: In the village where the 102 yr old woman still drives

North Avon Magistrates' Court had previously heard that Mrs Cole's GP had been treating her for "fear of driving" for the past three-and-a-half years.

Perhaps then she should've been banned from driving around three-and-a-half years ago ffs
Old 04 January 2008, 05:01 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

here's hoping!
Old 04 January 2008, 06:00 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

What I'm most annoyed about is that Magistrates took her multiple sclerosis into consideration. My 60yo mother has Multiple Sclerosis, and has a GMC Group N exhaust, GMC quickshift, Oz Superleggras, Eibach springs and god knows what else on her Saxo! And the last time I checked - has a R34 GT-R as her dream car Certainly wouldn't catch her doing 10mph on a motorway - multiple sclerosis or not!
Old 04 January 2008, 06:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by MiniShaz
North Avon Magistrates' Court had previously heard that Mrs Cole's GP had been treating her for "fear of driving" for the past three-and-a-half years.

Perhaps then she should've been banned from driving around three-and-a-half years ago ffs
Yes, quite, she should have had to retake her test back then!
Old 04 January 2008, 07:02 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

1 down 3 million to go
Old 04 January 2008, 07:29 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

"It just felt awful. I didn't know what to do. I panicked and turned to jelly inside and I didn't know what to do."

So you'd all like to share the roads with someone who feels like that?
More for you.

10mph is so dangerous on a motorway. You may aswell park up and wave at the 18 wheeler approaching at 50mph behind you.

She put people's lives at risk for a poxy ink cartridge. If she isn't smart enough to realise that that was a bad idea, she shouldn't be on the road.
Old 04 January 2008, 07:32 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst thing is her excuse was 'an urgently needed ink cartridge' WTF!
Old 04 January 2008, 07:37 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Pedant mode

Speed is a measurement of the rate of motion, I think the general argument is that excess speed kills

Pedant mode off

[pedant]

I think you'll find that it's inappropriate speed which is dangerous, not necessarily high speeds.

[/pedant]

Old 04 January 2008, 07:47 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
[pedant]

I think you'll find that it's inappropriate speed which is dangerous, not necessarily high speeds.

[/pedant]

And thankfully this prosecution proves your point perfectly!

Nice to see driver competence being a factor in trying to make our roads safer and not just the usual simplistic sledgehammer approach to enforcing an arbitrary speed number as the cure-all.

D
Old 04 January 2008, 07:50 PM
a1oku
Scooby Regular

i agree.inappropriate speed is the key.shes just as dangerous as some idiot doing 130mph...if not more so.she should be banned for much longer then retested.
Old 04 January 2008, 08:07 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

the mad old bag needs banning for life, she is totally incompetent to be on the roads, and has put lives at risk for something so fookin stupid it beggars belief, ill or not she should never be aloud behind the wheel again
Old 05 January 2008, 07:26 AM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
The worst thing is her excuse was 'an urgently needed ink cartridge' WTF!

Prehaps she needed to print another "I drive slow, please pass" sticker for her window.
Old 05 January 2008, 08:39 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
BBC news.

If speed kills she must be one of the safest drivers on the road, and now she's banned
Are you related?
How can you be upset that this idiot has been taken off the roads?
Are you as slow as her and really the name Speedking is a p155-take?
Old 05 January 2008, 10:09 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

thats hazerdous driving without a doubt and she shouldn't be allowed back on the road.
Speed CAN kill, without a doubt, but going 10 mph on a motorway whilst STRADDLING the hard shoulder WTF - that could've been worse for a death toll than someone doing 100mph in good conditions!
Hopefully she wont pass her test and should've ordered her ink cartridge online
Old 05 January 2008, 10:54 AM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Sorry rant coming :

This thing really pi$$es me off. As already stated its the inappropriate use of speed thats dangerous not all this media "speed kills" cr@p.
There is a old lady where I live and she made the headlines in the local paper "Good old Nora, 100 today and still able to drive to her own birthday party". FFS 100 years old and still driving what is her reaction time like. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-old but some of our older statesmen didn't even take a driving test due to there not being one years ago.

IMHO when you reach 70 you should be re-tested not a full on test but a hazard awareness, reaction, competencey test and re-tested every 5 years after that. A vehicle can be a devastating weapon in incompetent hands no matter what speed.
As a side matter I think all over 65's should get free public transport.

Sorry again rant over.

Wolfie.

Last edited by wolfie28; 05 January 2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05 January 2008, 10:57 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
[pedant]

[/pedant]

I agree, but the do gooders think it is excessive speed, hence the proliferation of speed cameras.
Old 05 January 2008, 11:23 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

P!ssing myself at all the muppets getting worked up because they think speedking is upset that this woman was banned

Do none of you know what one of these - - is

Originally Posted by MattW
Pedant mode

I think the general argument is that excess speed kills

Pedant mode off

Not according to all the 'Road Safety Partnership' signs hanging from every tree, lampost and road sign in my part of the world it isn't Not one of those signs has the word 'excess' on it

I think that was the point being made
Old 05 January 2008, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

She has a dreadful illness which anyone here who has it woiuld understand the problem.

She is also a nervous driver but nevertheless was able to cope reasonably well in normal road conditions. She made an error and accidentally found herself on the motorway and consequently became quite terrified. Her natural instinct was to drive very slowly which is not surprising under the circumstances. Of course it was dangerous to be on a motorway at 10 MPH with the vast difference in speeds between her and the other traffic.

She has had her licence removed and has to take a further test after a week. This is pretty awful for a person who is so badly disabled and who finds it difficuilt to walk even.

The point of relating all this is to make it clear that she has a very difficult life and also how about a bit of the good old "milk of human kindness" in our attitude towards her situation and her honest mistake.

I was very disappointed to see all the self righteous attitudes as far as her driving was concerned, of course it is all so easy for people who are not so badly disabled as her. She was able to drive the car once she had struggled to get into it as one could see on the TV. Her problem is in the mind with regard to fast driving and she cannot be blamed for that.

Those on this thread who called her names and belittled her should be ashamed of themselves. Disgusting exhibition in my opinion.

Les
Old 05 January 2008, 12:36 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

The point of relating all this is to make it clear that she has a very difficult life and also how about a bit of the good old "milk of human kindness" in our attitude towards her situation and her honest mistake.
Would your words be so kind if she had hit a car which had broken down, or a family at the side of the road whilst she was weaving in and out of the hard shoulder. Granted any damage she may have done would be minimal at 10mph, but what if she had caused a larger vehicle to swerve to avoid her, which would have been going faster, had hit somebody in the same scenario?

From what I read, the police officer pulled her over, told her what she was doing wrong and gave advice. She then pulled away dis-regarding his advice meaning he pulled her over AGAIN. Yes she needs a car etc, but a full UK licence entitles you to drive on a motorway without having to sit any additional test. From what I recall she intentionally knew she was going on the motorway (she is quoted as saying she "didn't know any other way to staples") and it is not a case of it being an honest mistake as you put it.

I certainly hope you or a member of your family never has your life changed by an incompetent driver such as this.

Last edited by m1cks; 05 January 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05 January 2008, 12:47 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
She has a dreadful illness which anyone here who has it woiuld understand the problem.

She is also a nervous driver but nevertheless was able to cope reasonably well in normal road conditions. She made an error and accidentally found herself on the motorway and consequently became quite terrified. Her natural instinct was to drive very slowly which is not surprising under the circumstances. Of course it was dangerous to be on a motorway at 10 MPH with the vast difference in speeds between her and the other traffic.

She has had her licence removed and has to take a further test after a week. This is pretty awful for a person who is so badly disabled and who finds it difficuilt to walk even.

I was very disappointed to see all the self righteous attitudes as far as her driving was concerned, of course it is all so easy for people who are not so badly disabled as her. She was able to drive the car once she had struggled to get into it as one could see on the TV. Her problem is in the mind with regard to fast driving and she cannot be blamed for that.

Those on this thread who called her names and belittled her should be ashamed of themselves. Disgusting exhibition in my opinion.

Les
I knew it wouldn't be long until someone put a post up like this .
I guess its ok to put all our lives at risk because she made a mistake. How do you know that she hasn't done this before and she was just caught this time. 3 1/2 years spent being treated for the fear of driving she shouldn't have had a licence, period!!!
MS is a terrible condition and my heart goes out to all who suffer. My post expressed my feelings on incompetent drivers who endanger us all, just because they don't speed doesn't make them safe.
I wonder if your post/opinion would have been different if she didn't suffer any illnesses.

Wolfie.
Old 05 January 2008, 12:59 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28
I guess its ok to put all our lives at risk because she made a mistake. How do you know that she hasn't done this before and she was just caught this time. 3 1/2 years spent being treated for the fear of driving she shouldn't have had a licence, period!!!
MS is a terrible condition and my heart goes out to all who suffer. My post expressed my feelings on incompetent drivers who endanger us all, just because they don't speed doesn't make them safe.
I wonder if your post/opinion would have been different if she didn't suffer any illnesses.

Wolfie.
Agreed wholeheartedly. Illness is a terrible thing, not having a license makes life hard. However, if you are unable to drive then you should not be on the road.

I feel sorry for blind people, even had a relative who was blind. Did I want her to have a driving license? Exactly!

So often incapable drivers cause accidents. Its often the normal motorist who ends up paying. Numpties send people scattering, those people then crash into others while trying to avoid the idiot that caused the mess. The idiot then just drives on, totally unaware of the havoc they have caused. I've seen it happen, so have you. Even been in a car with someone who did this, and they still don't accept they did anything wrong (they stopped while going around a two lane roundabout that came off a motorway. It was busy, the traffic was moving quickly, and they came to a dead stop across both lanes as they were uncertain of which way to go. About 20 cars scattered all around, tyres howling. Their response, "well they should have more consideration for people" )

If you are not well enough to drive, then I am sorry, but you must give up your license before you get someone else killed.

Last edited by Luminous; 05 January 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05 January 2008, 01:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28

Wolfie.
I did not deny the facts as reported or the seriousness of her error. Yes it would have been a tragedy if there had been an accident, as was said above, if she hit someone at 10 mph there would not have been likely to be much damage but if someone had hit her that would have been bad. She was not stated to have been likely to have driven into anyone however. All drivers on the motorway however are expected to be able to slow down in time for an accident which would include someone driving very slowly or stopped on the hard shoulder.

I am not defending her error, but speaking up for her in her tragic circumstances. As I said in my previous post, I was ashamed for those who chose to call her names and attempted to belittle her. It is very easy to jump up and down and castigate someone in her circumstances when you are fully fit and you consider yourself to be a "star" driver who is never going to make a mistake when driving of course. It is just a matter of being able to imagine oneself being so ill and being generous enough to make allowances.

Yes of course I would be upset if she had caused an accident to someone I know, but maybe not as much if it was caused by a young fit driver who was deliberately driving dangerously fast and lost control through his own fault.

I wonder what practical help was offered to her by the police. Did they tell her to stop driving on the spot, or did they point out her driving style and leave her to it? If so, how else was she expected to leave the motorway?

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 05 January 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05 January 2008, 01:11 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

I found myself broken down on the M25 yesterday after my car overheated (its actually blown the head gasket). I was with my daughter who is almost 3 and was standing outside the car, the other side of the barrier. Its quite scarey to stand there holding a child and feeling the force of wind as the lorries go by - you also get to see just how fast moving the motorway is. When my husband and the RAC man turned up (both at the same time ), that totalled 3 vehicles in a row. My husband had parked in front of my vehicle and the RAC man behind. I went to the other car to be with my other kids and amazingly some idiot tried to pull into the hard should in front of the RAC van, almost colliding with not only the broken down vehicle but also the landrover that the kids were in .

What I'm saying is, that despite her disability - and I have full sympathy with such disabling conditions I really do - but it wasn't an "honest mistake" - as pointed out above - she knew she was on the motorway and KNEW she didn't have the confidence to be ON the motorway. whatever her excuses, she should've sought another route or maybe just gone without her printer cartridge. Goodness sake she could've devestated many lives over a flaming ink cartridge - begs beleif i'm afraid!!!
Old 05 January 2008, 01:54 PM
Snake Plissken
Scooby Regular

Les i think many of us have had enough of your 'up your own ars* posts' aswell as your dreamy flyboy tales. The woman shouldn't be allowed on the road plain and simple. The sooner alot more pensionners get their electric scooters the better. Ignore Les and carry on giving this old trout some scoobynet justice.
Old 05 January 2008, 01:57 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Leslie - her illness is no excuse for that driving. As I said in my post, my mother has the same illness and struggles walking; but is almost as much of a petrolhead as her two sons, and I know for a fact if she ever became that nervous behind the wheel she would stop driving immediately.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:39 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

First prize to CrisPDuk, saved me coming back on to explain. The is at the hypocrisy of the authorities. Begging everybody to drive slowly, and then penalising those that take it to the extreme

Quick Reply: You can't win.