Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

why do old dropping bombs whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2007, 02:37 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question why do old dropping bombs whistle?

just wondering, was there a whistle on it for terror effect like the stuka siren?
Old 29 December 2007, 03:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Airflow, more likely to be an unwanted bi-product of the fins used to make them drop "straight"
Old 29 December 2007, 03:33 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Some were fitted with 'screamers' to increase the terror for those unlucky enough to be under them... more often then not civilians weren't the targets, infrastructure and assets were...
Old 29 December 2007, 03:34 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Snazy is right - just aerodynamics. I think modern ones do as well, but the aircraft dropping them tends to be that much noisier so the whistle gets drowned out.

Obviously, retarded bombs, Durandal runway busters and the like don't make a noise as their behaviour is rather different...

SB
Old 29 December 2007, 03:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
Snazy is right - just aerodynamics. I think modern ones do as well, but the aircraft dropping them tends to be that much noisier so the whistle gets drowned out.

Obviously, retarded bombs, Durandal runway busters and the like don't make a noise as their behaviour is rather different...

SB
Woohoo go me

As above though, the aim was the buildings etc, and its not like they can run anyway, so make as much noise as you want, rather than making silent bombs. The noise of the planes coming in was the 2 min warning you needed to start running when you heard.

The V2's were the ones that terrified people, hearing the engine clearly cut was a bad sign it was gonna drop VERY near by.
Old 29 December 2007, 03:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Woohoo go me

As above though, the aim was the buildings etc, and its not like they can run anyway, so make as much noise as you want, rather than making silent bombs. The noise of the planes coming in was the 2 min warning you needed to start running when you heard.

The V2's were the ones that terrified people, hearing the engine clearly cut was a bad sign it was gonna drop VERY near by.

I think you mean the V1 mate, not the V2. V2 was supersonic and you did not hear them coming.
V1 was the pulse jet engine that gave a distictive sound

The fins are for stability/accuracy and also screamers where fitted to bombs to terrify the poor sods being bombed
Old 29 December 2007, 04:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
I think you mean the V1 mate, not the V2. V2 was supersonic and you did not hear them coming.
V1 was the pulse jet engine that gave a distictive sound

The fins are for stability/accuracy and also screamers where fitted to bombs to terrify the poor sods being bombed

Could never remember it, thought one of them was piloted or something, but I will agree as I learnt it when I was 9 so thats a long time ago lol

And here one is
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...FlyingBomb.JPG

One landed in the pedestrian subway just up the road from where I live apparently, boring fact :P Failed to explode, thus not damaging the important trainline
Old 29 December 2007, 08:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

V1 landed in our back garden, we still have the wing.

Luckily the house wasn't built until 20 years later, it was just forest at the time
Old 30 December 2007, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

DCI is right, the did fit screamers to terrify the victims. You could only hear a V1 coming, My grandad used to shake his stick at them as they went by.

Les
Old 30 December 2007, 12:17 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Are the V1s what they used to call doodlebugs? My Nan used to tell me stories about them falling on North London during the war, she said they were terrifying as you'd hear the noise getting louder and louder until it just stopped, then you'd brace yourself for impact. She used to grab my Mum who was a little girl at the time and hide under the kitchen table!
Old 30 December 2007, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Are the V1s what they used to call doodlebugs? My Nan used to tell me stories about them falling on North London during the war, she said they were terrifying as you'd hear the noise getting louder and louder until it just stopped, then you'd brace yourself for impact. She used to grab my Mum who was a little girl at the time and hide under the kitchen table!
Spot on scoobychick. Nasty business as were the V2's which arrived supersonically!

Les
Old 30 December 2007, 12:22 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Yup V1 = "doodlebug".

IIRC the Nasties used to simply fuel them to get to london, hence as long as you heard the "putt-putt" you were ok - if the thing went silent, it was time to dive for cover ! Fortunately the V2s came too late in the war to make a difference to the outcome - Allied troops were already in France (and near Poland).
Old 30 December 2007, 12:24 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Poor Guy
just wondering, was there a whistle on it for terror effect like the stuka siren?
its beacuse bombs were happier then
Old 30 December 2007, 12:27 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Its probably a whistling kit they got from halfords.
Old 30 December 2007, 02:21 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Dad came back to London from being evacuated during the Blitz just in time for the V1s to start arriving. He got chased down his garden by one...which landed about 3 miles away in Crystal Palace Park.

He came to visit and I was showing a cousin one of the combat flight sims that had a V1 in it. The sound only played for a second and he came tearing in asking what the f*ck that was - it sounded like a Doodlebug. He was impressed by the game but the sound he didn't like at all...

SB
Old 30 December 2007, 02:27 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

following on with a similar question - when your helicopter is about to crash and is spinning out of control, why does it make the BAARRRP BAARRRP BAARRRP warning sound. Firstly, you would already know that you are spinning out of control due to the blurry trees and buildings, and secondly, there is fek all you are going to be able to do about it anyway Would some nice relaxing music, or the pilots favourite song not be a better way to go
Old 30 December 2007, 04:07 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
following on with a similar question - when your helicopter is about to crash and is spinning out of control, why does it make the BAARRRP BAARRRP BAARRRP warning sound. Firstly, you would already know that you are spinning out of control due to the blurry trees and buildings, and secondly, there is fek all you are going to be able to do about it anyway Would some nice relaxing music, or the pilots favourite song not be a better way to go
Hi mate,

Assuming (and forgive me for this) that you've never had the dubious pleasure of being in a helicopter which has suddenly started obeying far too many of Newton's laws, there are two things you need to recognise.

First of all, Aerosmith could pop out of the panel, crank up their amps to 11 and give a quick rendition of "Dude" - the pilot would be so busy trying to remain alive that he honestly wouldn't notice.

Second, and this might be the key, your perception of what happens in the cockpit is likely to be driven by Hollywood. The same place where hitting the "Enter" key on a computer always makes a beep. Where people can have a conversation in a helicopter without raising their voices. And where a Mac laptop will plug straight into an alien spaceship to upload a virus. It's possible that reality isn't quite so dramatic or convenient...

SB

PS

PPS Actually there are lots of flashing lights when it all goes Pete Tong but I honestly can't remember hearing buzzers or klaxons in a helicopter apart from the cable detector and threat warning...
Old 30 December 2007, 04:11 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Second, and this might be the key, your perception of what happens in the cockpit is likely to be driven by Hollywood....

DOH!!
Old 30 December 2007, 04:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Where people can have a conversation in a helicopter without raising their voices.
Having had a couple of passenger rides in the back of Mil-Mi8s, I must say this bit always makes me smile. Even better when they shout to people on the ground!
Old 30 December 2007, 04:15 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Brendan, have we met?

I did conversion on the Mi8/17 before spending quite a lot of happy hours flying the Hind...

Noisy old bus, isn't it?

SB
Old 30 December 2007, 05:06 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

The same place where hitting the "Enter" key on a computer always makes a beep. Where people can have a conversation in a helicopter without raising their voices. And where a Mac laptop will plug straight into an alien spaceship to upload a virus.
Are you saying that none of this is really true?
Old 30 December 2007, 05:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi mate,

Assuming (and forgive me for this) that you've never had the dubious pleasure of being in a helicopter which has suddenly started obeying far too many of Newton's laws, there are two things you need to recognise.

First of all, Aerosmith could pop out of the panel, crank up their amps to 11 and give a quick rendition of "Dude" - the pilot would be so busy trying to remain alive that he honestly wouldn't notice.

Second, and this might be the key, your perception of what happens in the cockpit is likely to be driven by Hollywood. The same place where hitting the "Enter" key on a computer always makes a beep. Where people can have a conversation in a helicopter without raising their voices. And where a Mac laptop will plug straight into an alien spaceship to upload a virus. It's possible that reality isn't quite so dramatic or convenient...

SB

PS

PPS Actually there are lots of flashing lights when it all goes Pete Tong but I honestly can't remember hearing buzzers or klaxons in a helicopter apart from the cable detector and threat warning...

LOL...
Old 30 December 2007, 05:47 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Being able to sleep on a fully loaded Chinook is one of my party tricks

Unfortunately, only those that have ever been on one can appreciate what a feat of determination and tiredness that is
Old 30 December 2007, 06:02 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius

Unfortunately, only those that have ever been on one can appreciate what a feat of determination and tiredness that is

SB
Old 30 December 2007, 09:16 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
yeh but not while you are flying it :P try a c-130 there bad
Old 30 December 2007, 09:57 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

C-130's easier to sleep on than a Chinook

C-17's the best though - thats almost business class... you even get a bed if you don't mind kipping on the floor

Can't sleep on a tristar though - I'm too scared the wings are going to fall off.
Old 31 December 2007, 12:12 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I can't think where I heard it but apparently helicopters don't actually fly, they just annoy the Earth so much it repels them!
Old 31 December 2007, 12:18 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Are you saying that none of this is really true?
The MacBook ~ alien mainframe virus scenario has yet to be confirmed...
Old 31 December 2007, 12:31 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

OMG @ this thread
Old 31 December 2007, 12:35 AM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Luminous
OMG @ this thread
lol are you a wii bit pissed tonight Loomy?

Quick Reply: why do old dropping bombs whistle?