Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do people like to race scoobies when they shouldn't?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2007, 08:05 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people like to race scoobies when they shouldn't?

Coming up the A68 today from yorkshire back to Scotland at a nice steady 70 leptons officer. The weather wasn't great, lots of heavy showers and a very wet road but made good progress by not driving like a muppet and not slowing down for bends.

Anyway, some bloke wanting to show off his Porka 911 comes rocking past at a fair lick and despite him cutting back in i figured it wasn't worth it. Mainly bacause of the conditions and there would have been so much spray i wouldn't have seen much of the road anyway.

Still, smiled nicely at him and gave the peddle a nice push when we found him sideways across the road and the front end in a ditch 5 miles further on. At least he hadn't taken anyone else (including me) with him. Some other nice people had already stopped to help though so seemed best to carry safely on with my AWD.

5t.
Old 28 December 2007, 08:11 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Did you give him a toot
Old 28 December 2007, 09:24 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one simple answer m8..people buy these cars and think they are uncrashable,inexperience,because its a porsche,or an aston martin,or some other high performance car....sad thing is it's usually the tw@ts with money who can afford to but these cars..you did the right thing by holding back..
Old 29 December 2007, 12:02 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Because they're generally the same stamp of bloody idiots as scooby drivers, only with more money.
Old 29 December 2007, 12:08 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Ahh the greatness of AWD My mate binned his scoob last weekend backwards in to a field.

Which needed my 4wd to get him out (saved recovery costs )

Traction is nothing without control
Old 29 December 2007, 12:09 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Ahh the greatness of AWD My mate binned his scoob last weekend backwards in to a field.

Which needed my 4wd to get him out (saved recovery costs )

Traction is nothing without control
Was that YOUR scood that he binned?
Old 29 December 2007, 12:19 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Sadly not - another friend, another scoob. Not that I wish harm on the fella...just the car.

I noticed he chipped the door mirror the other day though

Anyhoo, have a nice Christmas Bub?
Old 29 December 2007, 12:24 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Anyhoo, have a nice Christmas Bub?
Er.... equivocal, mate, equivocal. The scood got through its mot, though - flew through. Not bad for a '99
Old 29 December 2007, 12:36 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

And so it should.

By the way: Don't serach for "scood" in the urban dictionary
Old 29 December 2007, 12:40 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Serach? black country dialect, Ali??
Old 29 December 2007, 12:40 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

And so it should.

By the way: Don't serach for "scood" in the urban dictionary
Just doing it now, Captain Mainwaring.
Old 29 December 2007, 12:42 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

:RTshock:
Old 29 December 2007, 12:45 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

it amazes me how he *knows this* , Bubba...
Old 29 December 2007, 12:52 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
:RTshock:

LMAO
Old 29 December 2007, 12:55 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
it amazes me how he *knows this* , Bubba...
I'd rather not divulge.

I'm already known as the "scat man" for reasons that, at the time, seemed to be very innocent.
Old 29 December 2007, 08:27 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by fivetide

Anyway, some bloke wanting to show off his Porka 911 comes rocking past at a fair lick
so seemed best to carry safely on with my AWD.

5t.
Porsches can have AWD as well, it doesn't make any difference if you are travelling too fast for the conditions. Too many drivers assume it does and learn differently- shock horror some of them even drive Subarus.
Old 29 December 2007, 09:05 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Because they're generally the same stamp of bloody idiots as scooby drivers, only with more money.

Actually made me laugh out loud

Although to be fair, I'd like to think I'd have more common sense than to drive in a 'spirited manner' in a mid-engined, RWD car renowned for enjoying its ****-out moments in the wet!
Old 29 December 2007, 09:51 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Imprezas are generally regarded as a bench mark and therefore give you some kind of bragging right if you beat one.. Strange!
Old 29 December 2007, 09:58 AM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

I've lost count of the number of BMW's I've had sit on my back bumper trying to get a response out me. Even my girlfriend has noticed it, they tend to cut across the front of me at roundabouts as well. Do people really think that becasue you have a scooby you'll drive it through town at 100mph
Even the old bill were sitting on my **** last week
Old 29 December 2007, 11:31 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
Porsches can have AWD as well, it doesn't make any difference if you are travelling too fast for the conditions. Too many drivers assume it does and learn differently- shock horror some of them even drive Subarus.

Agreed, good point about control being the main feature too. That said this was an early 90's Turbo a car reknowned for having a tail happy attitude to life. A sad case of someone with more money than sense on this occasion, hopefully he'll have learnt something from the experience!

5t.
Old 29 December 2007, 11:49 AM
Snake Plissken
Scooby Regular

Noticed these posts are so boring now. You guys post the same predictable stuff about other drivers in their BMW's etc. Can't say i've never seen an Impreza been driven by a ****-NOT. End of day you still think this 90s rally car is still the dog dangles. My brother in law is 22 and wanted to buy something half quick. Told me he couldn't stand the impreza as they are too common and naff.

There are far better cars out there now and if you think i give a toss about racing a poormans supercar when i am on the road then c'est la vie.

Froth at the mouth all you lot now lol. This however is my point of view and probably half the nations.
Old 29 December 2007, 01:03 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

seen many instances of people thinking that they are above everyone else because they have a quicker and better handling cars at track days.

as one point above, traction is nothing without control. my first track day at castle combe i spun my subaru whilst pushing too hard trying to catch up with a similar scooby. i learnt then its more about control.

i am still surprised that even my clio 172 with me driving out handles lots of better cars as i have learnt more about car control the last few years since doing track days. of course i am certainly not the best driver around but like to think i have a good idea of what a car can do in what conditions.

best way to learn is to take it to a track and see what they can do. of course some people just think the road is the best place try that.
Old 29 December 2007, 01:08 PM
Snake Plissken
Scooby Regular

Yawn tell us something we don't know Dave1980. LOL i knew someone would post a typical 'trackdays' reply.
Old 30 December 2007, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Because it is good fun to drive fast and even more fun to go round rhe corners fast as well. Trouble is there is no place for that on our grossly overcrowded roads these days and it just is not fair to risk other driver's lives as well as your own.

Dave 1980 is right. If you want to learn how to handle a car at speed in comparative safety-do a track day or two.

Les
Old 30 December 2007, 04:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I had that happen to me, in about 1990 I had a Manta GTE and had a Renault A610 Turbo decide to goad me into a race by being aggressive, Manta was 110 bhp on a good day and not very fast so couldnt keep up, came round the corner to find matey in a field, nose out, I stopped to offer assistance and he told me to f*ck off, I took offence to this and pointed out that he should take some lessons, he got out and started over to have a go so I just buggered off.
Old 30 December 2007, 04:55 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I had that happen to me, in about 1990 I had a Manta GTE and had a Renault A610 Turbo decide to goad me into a race by being aggressive, Manta was 110 bhp on a good day and not very fast so couldnt keep up, came round the corner to find matey in a field, nose out, I stopped to offer assistance and he told me to f*ck off, I took offence to this and pointed out that he should take some lessons, he got out and started over to have a go so I just buggered off.
A Renault A610 Turbo, hey? Rare car , even in its day. Anyway, i think PS Lewis drives a UK Turbo now (more traction) !
Old 30 December 2007, 06:40 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Coming up the A68 today from yorkshire back to Scotland at a nice steady 70 leptons officer. The weather wasn't great, lots of heavy showers and a very wet road but made good progress by not driving like a muppet and not slowing down for bends.

Anyway, some bloke wanting to show off his Porka 911 comes rocking past at a fair lick and despite him cutting back in i figured it wasn't worth it. Mainly bacause of the conditions and there would have been so much spray i wouldn't have seen much of the road anyway.

Still, smiled nicely at him and gave the peddle a nice push when we found him sideways across the road and the front end in a ditch 5 miles further on. At least he hadn't taken anyone else (including me) with him. Some other nice people had already stopped to help though so seemed best to carry safely on with my AWD.

5t.

So some bloke overtook you then binned it. Ever consider that maybe he was just in a rush?

These threads always give me a giggle, I have a mate or two with a similar disability that every car that passes him is hell bent on a race.