Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

M25 Speed Cameras, Myth??

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2007, 11:41 PM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M25 Speed Cameras, Myth??

Ive just driven anticlockwise on the M25 past Heathrow with my snooper on and it happily bleeped away when there were gantry camera's yet people were passing me very quickly probably around 100ish. I didnt see any flashes or anything out of the ordinary. Does this mean the cameras are inactive or simply dont flash anymore, there were no variable limits displayed - do they turn them off even?

Has anyone been caught by these or know anyone that has?
Old 26 December 2007, 11:48 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

It's a christmas present from the scamera partnership, they've turned them off for the week...... Does that sound likely?

I've heard others say they don't flash if you're over 70 and there's no variable limit set but I've never been brave enough to test it out.

I certainly saw some flashes clockwise in the same area a week or so ago so they are still working, but that was in the rush hour with a 50 limit set.
Old 27 December 2007, 12:01 AM
perky555
Scooby Regular

Ive been that way afew times at more than the limit and never had a ticket through.
Old 27 December 2007, 06:28 AM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

My Road Angel only beeps occasionally round the M25 - a lot of the gantries don't have cameras in. Also they're set at a very tolerant level, so I woulnd't waste your time sticking religiously to 70... is fine unless your Snooper / road angel actually beeps indicating the presence of a camera. While talking about that area, the average speed cameras on the M3 as you're coming out of London going south past the M25 junction where they've narrowed it to one lane don't work - I've taken to completely ignoring them and so far no NIP's - drive down there every day.
Old 27 December 2007, 08:33 AM
djquest
Scooby Regular

good morning all.

From what i can tell u is that if their is speed limit showing on gantry signs then the camera are basically off. if their is a speed limit set i.e 50mph or 60mph then the cameras are active and if u go above this you will get flashed. this was said by jeremy clarkson on top gear awhile ago.

i did put this to the test. i.e drove around 60mph - 100mph when the gantry had no speed limit sign on and it didnt flash or anything. however when i have seen the signs on i kept to the limit and any cars going over that limit would get flashed.

that is what i have noticed from expereince and what clarkson said on top gear. hope that helps.

regards

kaif
Old 27 December 2007, 09:50 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I was just about to post more or less exactly the same answer as djquest

Ive only ever seen them flash when the gantry signs are telling you the speed limit is lower than 70mph
Old 27 December 2007, 09:53 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My old Snooper indicates when the scameras are active. That might be when variable speeds are in force (but sometimes a speed is shown but the scamera is not active) or occasionally the scameras are on when no reduced speed limit is shown.

That's why I still use the old detector, as the built-in GPS detector warns me about every scamera, whether it is on or not.
Old 27 December 2007, 09:55 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cameras are not active unless the speed limit is displayed and even then if the limit has changed in the last 10 mintes or one of the led's is out on the matrix (or one of an array of other problems are detected) the limit is not enforced.. To be honest you have to be really really stupid to get caught on those cameras. Which IMHO is how cameras should..
Old 27 December 2007, 10:47 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

You mean that there are speed cameras that actually do something useful and punish people who are too stupid to realise that variable speed limits on motorways are actually there to help them?

In a similar topic though - does anyone know anyone who has been caught by a SPEC's camera? I've never been brave/stupid (delete as applicable!) enough to try it out!
Old 27 December 2007, 10:51 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Just a pointer.....

The M25 is also one of the first motorways to introduce digital cameras, with no flashes
Due to the number of people caught and the speed the film ran out, they are replacing them with digitals with infinate capacity.
Not sure when they are rolling them out, but AM sure they are.
Old 27 December 2007, 11:13 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Question Another question on M25 cameras....

No idea with the gantry cameras but there are the average speed ones (SPECS I think they are called) on the M25 from J1 to J4 (Dartford onwards), where they are widening the M25.

Anybody know if these actually work and the tolerance set on them. I stick religiously to 50 mph (already have 3 points), which is the so-called limit and everyone speeds past me from anything like 55mph up to 80 mph... surely they are collecting fines and points????

Thanks..
Old 27 December 2007, 11:52 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I actually tend to behave round cameras especially SPECS, thanks to Safe Speed lol, drives ya mad over the limit.
Plus I now have camera warnings on the nav, so when they both get going, it can drive you mad too.
Old 27 December 2007, 12:52 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

The cameras between junctions 1-4 on M25 are set to mearsure per lane, so in theory if you enter on lane 1 exceed the limit but change lanes before the next set of cameras then you dont get a ticket, the cameras are not capable of mearsuring cross lane movement, also they are moved about with the roadworks so you can see what lanes are covered by what camera, i.e. sometimes only 2 cameras when there is 3 lanes.
There are about 3 sets of cameras between 28 and 27 anticlockwise, not many people seem to take much notice of them.
Old 27 December 2007, 01:23 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

I believe the specs cameras located anti clock between 28 and 27 are not being used for speed enforcement, but monitoring traffic speed. Enforcement of speed is just one of the many uses of specs.
Old 27 December 2007, 04:13 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> The M25 is also one of the first motorways to introduce digital cameras,
> with no flashes

I'm sorry but that's just misleading. You've confused two different things.

Cameras are either film based or digital. The lights which flash are either normal light or infra red. But these are two different things, some film based cameras use normal light (eg old style gatsos), some no doubt use infra red, (truvelo perhaps, I think they're film type). Some digital cameras use infra red (specs), some use normal light (M25 variable speed limit).

So while you're right that the M25 cameras are digital that just means they don't run out of film they just keep taking pictures and passing them electronically by wire to the Scamera partnership. But you're wrong about no flashes, the M25 cameras even though they are digital use normal light so they do flash and you can see it.
Old 27 December 2007, 04:36 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I've asked this before & no one seems to have been caught Could it all be one big wind up to keep us going slowly?!

TX.

Originally Posted by Prasius
In a similar topic though - does anyone know anyone who has been caught by a SPEC's camera? I've never been brave/stupid (delete as applicable!) enough to try it out!
Old 27 December 2007, 04:40 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

It's more than that; SPECS can only measure per lane legally so by changing lanes you can avoid getting caught. I've not the ***** to try this though! Most people seem to zoom through SPECS areas so they're either changing lanes or picking up tickets!

TX.

Originally Posted by greenonedave
The cameras between junctions 1-4 on M25 are set to mearsure per lane, so in theory if you enter on lane 1 exceed the limit but change lanes before the next set of cameras then you dont get a ticket, the cameras are not capable of mearsuring cross lane movement ...
Old 27 December 2007, 04:53 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I have heard of people useing the swopping lane bit for a long time now and it seems to work,
It was documented in a national paper about this apparent design flaw,
I use the M25 on a daily basis and well......
I never speed at any time sir,