Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday to Gambia

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2002, 12:25 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just booked a 7 night holiday to Gambia at the end of the month (bargain at 299 quid b&b).

Has anyone been there ?? If so, whats it like.

Dave
Old 16 January 2002, 12:45 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

I seem to remember my parents went there a few years ago. Just be prepared for everyone to constantly harass you for money. I seem to remember that as they were waiting at the airport to leave even one of the police officers was asking my dad for some money so he could buy a sack of rice to feed his kids. He then started going on about my dads T-shirt and how nice it was and by this stage my dad was so p!ssed off he just took it off and gave it to him.
Old 16 January 2002, 03:50 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Druddle

Just got back 3 weeks ago

It depends what type of holiday maker you are, if your the back pack type who likes to cram as much culture and sight seeing in like myself there is not an awful lot to see, Who are you going with?? Gambia experiance?? if so I suggest the Treasure Island trip, it was fantastic but dont go by the title there is no treasure, its a canabis plantation!! but the whole day is amazing and you get to see the real Gambia via a ferry trip and open top truck ride through the savannah, a boat trip and a visit to a typical Gambian village finishing off on the island for lunch and a joint! (joke)

If you are going to sit around the pool and chill out its very good for that, there are a few things to look out for like the "local" boys, they are known as "Bumpsters" just like your usual holidays tricksters wanting you to come to "Their" restaurant and begging for this and that, just be firm with them. If you want to avoid the on the beach walk in the water they dont like getting wet

Having said that me and the missus met some really nice locals who werent interested in selling or begging and they were genuine good natured people who are very knowledgable and interesting.

Where are you staying?? (hotel/town)I can recomend some places to eat as there is a lot of **** and prices vary from place to place.

Can also recomend some good places to visit, like the Crocodile Pool at Kachakali, there are all these crocs just wandering around and you can touch one of them!!!, its pretty amazing being surrounded by 10+ crocs!!

Also If you do intend going on any trips to see the locals, take a box of pens or pencils as there is no real state schooling they do a lot of there own teaching and note books and pens are desperatly required, also any childrens clothing, as some of the kids out in the wild are really poorly dressed, maybe some small footballs, they dont have toys and would go wild for one of those.

If you have never been to a 3rd world country before it may be an eye opener as there is severe poverty in places, it didnt bother me too much as i have seen it in other parts of the world. They are poor but do not go under nourished as they all seem to live off the land in little communes.

A great place to take kids and let them see how lucky they are to have what we have in this country, but the kids you will see on the trips are smashing, you'll be driving down the road in an open top truck and all these kids come rushing out of their little mud hut villages squealing with joy waving at you, you cant help but smile, as we did for about 5 miles!!

Dont get your **** at the airport here as bensons / dunhill / marlborough are all about 0.65p for 20 all UK or US made, i couldnt tell the difference (obviously if u dont smoke u dont need this info) all hotels are about 30 mins from the airport which is a bonus, all in all the whole holiday was a very easy relaxing experiance.

If u need anymore specific info let me know.

Have a good holiday

Dave
Old 16 January 2002, 04:05 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Can confirm the part about the pens, pencils and notebooks as my parents did the same thing. Reading Funkii Munkii's post jogged my memory about a lot of things my parents said.

My dad also came back with loads and loads of english change (£30 or £40 quids worth!) as some of the porters at the airport pursuaded him to change the tips they had been collecting into notes. I get the impression that the local currency is pretty worthless compared to english money and they can't do anything with change, they only want notes.

Have a good holiday!
Old 16 January 2002, 05:02 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have been there 3 times, must make me an expert so listen up...
Great little country, fantastic friendly people (most of em)...
Even though it's Africa, there's not a great deal of wildlife, no safari stuff..a few monkeys, lizards, vultures and crocodiles in a stinky pit. If you're going for a pool holiday in the sun then there is nowhere better for the price. It will be HOT. Do not smoke the weed as it is too strong and you will wibble like a baby. Sea is bloody freezing!! If you get the chance, take a trip up the river to see the slave-trade island, can't remember the name, but a great day out AND educational. Yes, all the kids flock round like flies on a sticky bun.. but hey, if ya throw sweets from the back of a jeep these buggers will run miles after you in the midday sun!!! and I mean miles!! the kids are great... and very interested in the rest of the world, they are ALL called Lamin.. well, nearly All of them anyway. Take malaria tablets before during and after... I guess you'll be using the airport built by NASA, first time we went there was just a wooden shack.. but the airport should be modern and full of friendly people wanting to carry your cases to your coach (for cash). If you go to see the crocs, beware it stinks!!! oh and one tried to bite my foot off!!! oh and someone got bit that very same day!! Gambia is like nowhere else we've ever been.. would we go back, yeah. would we have anything left to see, nah... it's very small but lovely. Remember, it IS Africa!!

Dom & Kim
Old 16 January 2002, 05:06 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nearly forgot, when meeting new hassle giving dodgy selling rip-off types, just let them know what you do for a living MR POLICEMAN... worked every time...
Old 16 January 2002, 05:40 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Dom

St James Island for the slave trade, my favourite bit there was the Freedom flagpole, over 200 years old, yeah right the paint was flaking off to show a nice grey steel pole!!!, 10 years old more like.
The place was a mess and they try and promote Kinta Kuntes place of birth, all they do is sit there and have their photos taken and expect money, how about claering the mountains of litter up if your heritage means that much to you. (only bad part of trip admitedly)

p.s. the weed makes u go wibbly?? it was crap!! and if they are not called Lamin they are called "Jimmy the fixer" i met 7 in total!!

Old 16 January 2002, 05:41 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hehe gotta agree with Dom,

Watch out tho cos when I was out there 2 years ago there did seem to be a lot of muggings and pickpocketing going on.I only had one bit of trouble that almost ended in violence:O,but I think if I hadn't consumed some much lager it probably wouldn't have happened.
In general the people are very friendly and helpful and its a lovely place to go.
Watch out for the cockroaches the size of tennis ***** tho oh yeah and the prostitutes who want to play with your banna!!:O

Not much in the way of wildlife or real places of interest apart from going to see the great great granddaughter of Kunta Kinte.

Would I go again.....Definitely

Steve

P.S Pay the extra for air conditioning
Old 16 January 2002, 06:17 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Funkii, we got the most evil stuff ever!! trust me on this!!
Old 16 January 2002, 06:54 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

got any left
Old 16 January 2002, 08:10 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info !!

We are doing a last minute thing through Apollo, accomodation will be sorted on arrival. I know its placing you life in their hands but we only paid 299 quid !!

It will be a relaxing break, trying to get over the whole moving house thing !!

We've never been to Africa so it will be a good break i think. One question, what currency(s) should we take ??

Us/Sterling travellers cheques, sterling or the local currency (cant remember name). What sort of money does it cost to eat out, and where are the nice places ??

Dave

[Edited by druddle - 1/16/2002 8:42:52 PM]
Old 16 January 2002, 09:01 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Never been to the Gambia, but ....

USD is the most useful currency in Africa, certainly in Zimbabwe/Zambia when I was there.

Be firm but not rude with the locals and they won't give you too much stress.

Steve
Old 16 January 2002, 09:46 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Local currency is the dalasi
We took pounds and had no problem changing, best place to eat in Kotu is the paradise beach restaurant, best beach to chill on as well have their own security and serve u on the beach, on Sunday nights they had a BBQ with huge Chicken pieces, prawn, steak and fish kebabs salad and spuds, cost about £5 eat as much as u like, best food I had in Gambia was at this place and it was the cheapest, if you go there ask for Michael and say Dave and Sue sent u, a really nice guy who will look after you.
Most meals cost us about £20 with a couple of drink for the two of us apart from the paradise as mentioned above.

Just like to say its not a patch on Goa for value for money and the food there was amazing.

Did £400 in 2 weeks in Gambia, only £200 last year in Goa and I went Jet sking 7 times in Goa!! no jet ski's to talk about in Gambia, lastly the water wasnt that cold, the pool was colder than the sea!!

If you have steak make sure its well cooked i had medium and it was a bit bloody, needless to say I had Banjul Belly and **** the bed!! in my sleep of course, and was bed ridden for 36 hours, not a nice experiance.
Old 17 January 2002, 08:16 AM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Gotta disagree with much of the above.

Very little to do other than sit by the pool or risk being hassled on the beach by locals wanting to flog you anything & everything.

Banjul was interesting but it was rather sad that most of the better quality buildings seemed to have been built years ago during the British occupation. Depressing that our tour guide had quit teaching because he could earn more off the tourist trade. Many of the tourist 'attractions' had clearly been manufactured over the last few years!

Still, for winter sun it's pretty cheap.

Do watch what you eat / drink though. I had the luxury of 7 days solitary confinement in the London Tropical Diseases Hospital near Euston with suspected typhoid on my return

Hugh

Old 17 January 2002, 08:39 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

not been there ones self but a couple i know said it was so good they went 3 years on trot.
chel xxx
Old 17 January 2002, 10:17 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

My parents went there years ago. My Dad made the mistake of giving his address to a local. When he got home he could hardly open the door for all the begging letters on the mat!
Old 21 January 2002, 02:25 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Dom/FM/anyone

Shall i take all sterling travellers cheques or do i need to take a few "dalasi" with me for when we get there ??

Dave