Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sceptics>?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2007, 12:00 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sceptics>?

For all the sceptics out there - I'm going to see Colin Fry tomorrow! Can't wait (personally) - anyone else been to see him or others like him?
Old 04 December 2007, 12:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

utter tosh
Old 04 December 2007, 12:08 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

utter tosh
Old 04 December 2007, 12:13 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

No never been to see him. I have seen his programme a few times on Bravo and I find it utterly despressing that people like him are allowed to prey on peoples greif for financial gain. It really should be illegal.

Derren Brown does an excellent job of exploding the myths behind these sort of parasites.
Old 04 December 2007, 12:13 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Who?
Old 04 December 2007, 12:16 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

"Is there someone in the room with a vowel in their name?"
"Of those people, does anyone know of anyone who might know someone who was once alive called John?"
"Of those people, are any of you male or female?"
"John has a message for you, he says he's alright and to watch out for electric fires in the bath"

Each to their own but I would rather spend my time and money on trying to save poor old Muhammed the teddy bear...
Old 04 December 2007, 12:36 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I haven't seen a psychic performance as yet that I'd consider to anything but utter fraud. Of those I have seen, Colin Fry is one of the less convincing
Old 04 December 2007, 12:49 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Wish I wouldn't of started it LMAO
I do beleive however, that there are MANY people out there that DO prey on peoples misfortunes and grief - HOWEVER, My hubby went to see a medium local to us earlier in the year - and because he was sceptic - he didn't give her anything to go on - not a name, nothing! Surprisingly she came out with EVERY name in his family, even told him how his friend "Dean" (my brother who died in April) was looking over Lillian (our daughter), she knew how many children he had, about our dripping tap and our unlockable back door! And it wasn't daylight robbery either - she charged £7.50 which she donates to Cats protection!!!???
Explain that for tosh!
Old 04 December 2007, 12:58 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
My hubby went to see a medium local to us earlier in the year - and because he was sceptic - he didn't give her anything to go on - not a name, nothing! :

No, see this is where you and hubby are falling for the trick. You are telling him nothing but giving him everything. These people are expert in leading you in a certain direction or getting information out of you without you realising it. It's exactly the way Derren Brown operates, only he exposes it all for what it is - A complete con.
Old 04 December 2007, 01:08 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

He is a fake and i know that for definate

just trust me on this one.
Old 04 December 2007, 01:29 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I can't take these kind of people seriously after seeing Clinton Baptiste on Phoenix Nights - 'I'm getting the word 'nonce' ...'

Watch this !
Old 04 December 2007, 01:43 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
He is a fake and i know that for definate

just trust me on this one.
I think we all know that for definite without insider information.

I basically work on the principal that if someone claims to be able to talk to the spirit world, they are lying.
Old 04 December 2007, 01:53 PM
Arbiter
BANNED

Good cold readers are interesting enough to watch operating. From the little I've seen of Fry he isn't a very good one. He does know his audience however.

I find all sorts of social engineering interesting, doesn't everyone?
Old 04 December 2007, 02:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Explain that for tosh!
Show me the video tape and I'll cover it off point by point, without that, we're relying on your memory of events, which with the best will in the world, will be highly inaccurate.
Old 04 December 2007, 02:11 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arbiter
Good cold readers are interesting enough to watch operating. From the little I've seen of Fry he isn't a very good one. He does know his audience however.

I find all sorts of social engineering interesting, doesn't everyone?
Don't forget there is also "warm" and "hot" reading as well. Watch out for people in the queue chatting to you about why you've come and who you are hoping to get in touch with. Either that or make some stuff up and see if it gets used in the reading later
Old 04 December 2007, 05:46 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Interesting reading - I'll save my judgement - for now at least!
But even if you remove Colin Fry and the likes out of the eqaution - how do you explain detectives who are at a dead end - and call in "physics/mediums" and within a couple of meetings the case is solved!!!! Well, to a degree at least.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I do beleive in "something", just not sure what
I don't need comfort for the people I've lost in life - to date, there haven't been many, but for those I've lost - I'm a realist and was taught that the only thing you can depend on in life - is death! **** fact I know - but the honest truth!
I'll wait and see what happens!
Old 04 December 2007, 05:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mrs Goner
Old 04 December 2007, 05:52 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Interesting reading - I'll save my judgement - for now at least!
But even if you remove Colin Fry and the likes out of the eqaution - how do you explain detectives who are at a dead end - and call in "physics/mediums" and within a couple of meetings the case is solved!!!! Well, to a degree at least.
I don't need comfort for the people I've lost in life - to date, there haven't been many, but for those I've lost - I'm a realist and was taught that the only thing you can depend on in life - is death! **** fact I know - but the honest truth!

There are 2 things you can rely on actually ...

You get taxed and you die.
Old 04 December 2007, 06:37 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i think if you really want to believe in it you will and nobody will chane your mind.

anybody remember shirley ghostman though
Old 04 December 2007, 07:08 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Nate*
There are 2 things you can rely on actually ...

You get taxed and you die.
Ah Nate - one of your moments of clarity LOL - but VERY true - unless your a pikey - then you can just rely on death! Cause they don't pay tax!
Old 04 December 2007, 08:47 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

ooooooh ... Watch how you use the word Pikey
Old 04 December 2007, 09:25 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Inthow do you explain detectives who are at a dead end - and call in "physics/mediums" and within a couple of meetings the case is solved!!!! Well, to a degree at least.
That'll be because it doesn't happen. Look at how sucessful all those psychics were that went out to find Madeline, funny how she's still missing isn't it? I frequent a sceptics board and the claim about them helping the police is made often. When asked which police, the answer is usually "they don't know". On the odd occasion a police force has been named, follow up enquiries result in a statement from the police stating "They did not request the help, and what they did recieve was of no use". Feel free to browse JREF Forum - Message Boards for examples.

I'd suggest you've been hoodwinked by some very devious people. Read up on cold reading in particular, you'll see the performance in a very different light when you see how it's done. Be objective, take notes, recordings, video (most won't let you - want to guess why?) if possible, count the misses and the hits after the event and look out for subtle body language you may be giving off, a surprised look if they are close for example.

By all means, but as I say, go in well informed as the to the types of tricks that are employed, if you don't you won't realise how you're being tricked, as, unlike stage magicians, they won't tell you it's a trick up front.
Old 04 December 2007, 09:28 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i think if you really want to believe in it you will and nobody will chane your mind.

anybody remember shirley ghostman though
Not so, you'd be amazed at the current Sylvia Brown backlash from within her own church Spiritus Novus. For those that don't know her she is a big name in the US and does a lot of TV shows. Have a look at Stop Sylvia Browne
Old 04 December 2007, 09:51 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Olly - I do kinda object to the things that your saying. You obviously don't beleive in anything - and thats cool - each to their own etc - and like i say - i am sceptical without doubt - but at the same time - I'm not stupid! I'm fully aware that some people are highly "trained" (for want of a better word) in body language - and quite rightly - if someone mentions a name that is close to what you have lost for instance - then your pupils probably dialate and your facial expressions change.
I am also pretty knowing that if you beleive you hear something a certain way - then that will be the way you remember it - it was mentioned earlier in the thread when I said that my husband had been to see a pretty spot on medium - and yes - peoples accounts of things are useless! HOWEVER - same said medium that he went to see also saw my aunt and uncle - and she had some pretty bang on revelations - which clearly she couldn't of known - nor would you just take a stab at and nor would you read in facial expressions and body langauge!
I take on board what you say - i remain open minded - and will reserve judgement until tomorrow!
Old 04 December 2007, 10:08 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Olly - I do kinda object to the things that your saying.
Object on what grounds, if you can show I'm wrong I'll happily appologise?

You obviously don't beleive in anything - and thats cool - each to their own etc
I believe in lots of things, providing the evidence is there to justify it.

- and like i say - i am sceptical without doubt - but at the same time - I'm not stupid! I'm fully aware that some people are highly "trained" (for want of a better word) in body language - and quite rightly - if someone mentions a name that is close to what you have lost for instance - then your pupils probably dialate and your facial expressions change.
I am also pretty knowing that if you beleive you hear something a certain way - then that will be the way you remember it - it was mentioned earlier in the thread when I said that my husband had been to see a pretty spot on medium - and yes - peoples accounts of things are useless! HOWEVER - same said medium that he went to see also saw my aunt and uncle - and she had some pretty bang on revelations - which clearly she couldn't of known - nor would you just take a stab at and nor would you read in facial expressions and body langauge!
All very interesting, but...without a video or sound recording, it isn't going to convince anybody other than you.

I take on board what you say - i remain open minded - and will reserve judgement until tomorrow!
By all means, just don't be so open minded your brain falls out!
Old 04 December 2007, 10:16 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I can't take these kind of people seriously after seeing Clinton Baptiste on Phoenix Nights - 'I'm getting the word 'nonce' ...'

Watch this !
Great clip!!
Old 04 December 2007, 10:30 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Mrs Gooner - Go and see Derren Brown live. His show is completely mind blowing. For a while you start to think you know how he does it, then you start to think he really is magic. He never really lets the cat right out of the bag, but he lets you have a good look in and a rumage round so you can sit in the pub and try to work it out afterwards.
Old 04 December 2007, 10:38 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Mrs Gooner - Go and see Derren Brown live. His show is completely mind blowing. For a while you start to think you know how he does it, then you start to think he really is magic. He never really lets the cat right out of the bag, but he lets you have a good look in and a rumage round so you can sit in the pub and try to work it out afterwards.
Indeed, Derren is way more convincing than any medium / psychic I have seen!

I've forgotten who it was, but somebody said that if mediums are getting their information from the spirit world, they're getting it the hard way!
Old 04 December 2007, 11:15 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Olly - have you ever actually had any kind of experience first hand? You seem very quick to quote on things that have been witnessed and recorded by others - just wondering what your personal experiences are.
Also, I find it easier to remain open minded than to be closed and reject any other opinion other than my own!
If nothing else, tomorrow night will be an experience - I wont be dissapointed if nothing comes through for me - but if something does - I can only take it as it comes!
I don't beleive in magic - but do find Derren Brown VERY entertaining and amazingly mind blowing.
What i chose to beleive in is what comforts me - and likewise anyone else - maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss!
Old 04 December 2007, 11:29 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

It is a bit like reading your horoscope. You can pick any version on any day and make it apply to you.

Did this Colin Fry manage to solve any crimes in the Psychic Private Eye program he did? I watched one program where he told a couple that their son had been brutally beaten before being thrown in the harbour. The police could find no evidence of foul play. Don't know if you know much about forensic pathology, but you could beat someone until they were nearly dead, drown them and then burn them in a fire, and the pathologist would still be able to determine with reasonable accuracy what had happened. It was obvious from the start of the program that the parents wanted to hear that their son hadn't simply thrown himslf in, and this was exactly what he told them. If he was that good, would he not be able to tell who did it as well?