Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Trail Riding

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 01:44 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody have much experience of trail riding?

I am considering having a go but am unsure of where to go. It's not too easy to see from OS maps which pathways are open to vehicles. I understand that there are trails that will take you from Orpington to Brands and then on to Ashford with very little road work - anyone heard of these?

Cheers for any help

Simon
Old 14 January 2002, 03:06 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a nice way to get the scooby dirty

I'll keep and eye on this

David
Old 14 January 2002, 03:54 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

done loads but always with the benifit of a mapreader in our group so i dont know much about the OS side (i just follow him )

but i will say this...

1. its better than trackdays! i did 3 years of trackdays on R1 from Brands to Spa and everything in between. But i'd rather be on my trail bike at a fraction of the cost for loads more fun and no waiting around.

2. its not as good as it was- the places were you can go are less each year and unless you get up early or go to wales/scotland you will meet people that dont want you there (allowed or not!) walkers, horses, kids, cyclists, more walkers with abuse you.

lot of riders have themselves to blame as there are plenty of nutters wheeling all over farmers fileds

3. go to france- it is superb, ride anyway, no people, no cars, just woods, forests, etc for miles.

4.do it! my most exciting experience on my R1 was sliding the rear out of coppice at donnington but its no better than slidding the rear for 50 yards through a wood at 40mph!!! and i've done that plenty!

Tiggs

ps- if real interested in france email me cause my mapreader also runs a trackday firm and this year is gonna do some trips out there.

edit to say what bad spelling i have! and make sure you think about the right bike- seen loads of people get the wrong thing and regret it

[Edited by Tiggs - 1/14/2002 3:57:17 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 04:54 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

thanks for the encouragement. It looks like fun but I want to avoid pi$$ing off the locals too much, so should probably try the TRF locally. I was just trying to test the water first without getting seriously involved.

I know that I have the wrong bike; I use a SuperMoto to ride to work and have invested in a spare set of wheels for a bit of fun in the dirt. It's probably too big for an off-road novice but I think I'll give it a go anyway (very slowly).

If anyone else has any suggestions in the South East, they'd be much appreciated.

Simon
Old 14 January 2002, 05:08 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

TRF is good place to start (might get a bit boring when you get good and what too pick up speed a bit )

the biggest prob with the wrong bike is weight- you will fall off, lots and lots and sometimes it will hurt!

the most exhausting thing when new is picking a bike up for the hundreadth time!

Tiggs

Old 14 January 2002, 05:09 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

Simon,

have a gander at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Supermoto/ someone there will be able to help !!

andyjd
Old 14 January 2002, 05:43 PM
matrix
Scooby Regular

You could try here

http://www.trf.org.uk/

Regards

Matrix
Old 14 January 2002, 06:40 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Quote:you will fall off lots and lots and sometimes it will hurt!

Never done any Trail riding but had a few seasons of Motocross racing.What i did find out ,that although i was riding a CR125,get it really muddied up and it must have weighed double!!You dont need that after crashing and trying to pick it up was a nightmare.

Also did a lot of Play riding/big jumps etc.Had a few nasty crashes,but never broke anything

i really enjoyed the crack of racing,No top 1,2,3 finishes ,but it was a eye opener.
Would love to do some Trailing in the lakes etc,but car finances and house finances wont allow.

Have fun.

Duncan..
Old 14 January 2002, 08:01 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just in case the hurt thing is putting anyone off just remember that its not likley to actually kill you so its not all bad

Tiggs
Old 14 January 2002, 11:16 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Wink

Hi Simon
I started off trail riding a DT 175.Got the bug & started doing Enduros on a IT 175.Can put you right on do's & dont's in general on Rights of Way.Also what to ask at Council/Town Hall.Safety & what you will come up against with joe public.Mail me if you like & I will give you my land line no.

Mark(ex Triumph/Norton & Yamaha rider)
Old 15 January 2002, 08:29 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Trail Bike Magazine (TBM) had a load of routes a year or two ago in it for Kent so you could mark up your own maps and go out and have fun. Even if the OS map says it is a right of way etc it is best to speak or visit your local council rights of way officer just to check their maps before you head off so you can quote a name and be sure of your facts if confronted by walkers, riders etc. Just my tips from personal experience

TBM mag def worth a look though.

Tim
Old 15 January 2002, 02:35 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'll drop you a line Mark.

Simon