Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Open University

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2007, 01:43 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open University

Debating whether to study for a degree. I don't have any formal qualifications.
I'm currently a Systems anlayst, so would most likely go for a degree in ICT / Computing Systems.

Am I wasting my time - Or are these degree's worthwhile?

Anyone done an Open degree? - How did you find it?
Old 21 November 2007, 01:48 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

They are well worthwhile. Of course they aren't the same as a degree from Oxbridge, but somewhat better than 2 GCSE from toxteth comprehensive.

If you have the time and inclination, I say go for it. A degree is a degree, if you are a BSC then the same three letters come after your name.
Old 21 November 2007, 01:55 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have thought of doing something similar myself as i have no qualifications other than GCSE's and they don't get you fair these days. Although I am about to become a Manager of a local retail outlet i really don't want my kids telling there friends when i'm 35-40 that their old man works in a shop!
Old 21 November 2007, 02:01 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It's a pretty big committment.

TB, Msc PhD L(BF)
Old 21 November 2007, 02:21 PM
gam1415
Scooby Regular

My wife did a BSc through the OU. Well worth having, but does need a high commitment, as said. However, as the degrees are modular, you can take breaks between modules if the workload is getting too much. I have to say, though, that I thought her course was less intensive than the full time degree course that I took - no bias, of course
Old 21 November 2007, 02:34 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if they are even better recognised than a full-time degree. I just did a 10 mth "Certificate" and that was bloody hard, living by myself in a weird country with nothing to do in the evenings. It is a hell of a commitment if you have a family and a social life - and you'd better make that very clear to them from the beginning! As an employer I'd be very impressed with someone who's done one.

Chickened out for my Masters, and took a year off work to do it full-time. Nothing wrong with university campuses
Old 21 November 2007, 02:50 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
As an employer I'd be very impressed with someone who's done one.
I agree - it shows a degree of motivation and committment that a lot of people lack.
Old 21 November 2007, 08:33 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm doing an Open Degree BSc Hons at the moment.

Doing an open university degree was the only realistic option for me, as I don't have rich parents in the UK and also I need to support myself whilst studying (when I started, I wasn't eligible for student loans in the UK as I had moved here only two years earlier, and I wasn't eligible for student loans from sweden as I no longer lived there).

I started out doing a computing and maths degree, but now that I've studied for a while I've found that I'm not that interested in the maths anymore, so I've changed to doing an open degree instead.

I've been studying since 2003, but i've had two years out and I only did 30 credits one year. I've still got 90 credits at level 1 and 50 at level3 to go, so I'm hoping to be done with mine in early 2009.

Overall, I'd say that the course materials are of high quality, but it takes a lot of time to do all the course work and sometimes it's very lonely!

You can do e.g. a diploma on your way to a degree as well. I got a diploma in computing after two years, which looks a lot better than being a university drop out
Old 22 November 2007, 10:43 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I've completed the 1st year of the MBA and had to take a 6 month break. Its tough with a busy job and 2 young children but doable, I'm just starting the 1st of the year 2 modules now.
Old 22 November 2007, 10:45 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Good idea if you have the spare time...but I think it can take up to 6yrs for a degree. If you've got the commitment go for it.
Old 22 November 2007, 10:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I wish you luck-it sounds well worthwhile if you have the personal committment.

Les
Old 22 November 2007, 10:54 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Originally Posted by michaelro
Debating whether to study for a degree. I don't have any formal qualifications.
I'm currently a Systems anlayst, so would most likely go for a degree in ICT / Computing Systems.

Am I wasting my time - Or are these degree's worthwhile?

Anyone done an Open degree? - How did you find it?
I don't know how old you are or anything but I enrolled on a BSc at the age of 29, finished by 32 and am now nearing the 4th year of a PhD and I just turned 36. You'll be surprsied how much income you can generate doing a PhD. Well it bought me a scooby.

It is never too late and never really a waste of time. Even if you never use it you'll be glad you did it purely for th challenge.
Old 22 November 2007, 12:21 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

I have an OU degree. For various reasons it took 7 years to complete so the flexibility is a bonus. From what I've heard/experienced prospective employers look favourably on those with OU qualifiactions. As previously mentioned it suggests a certain level of commitment. Often times the OU graduates are more mature (older ) and so have life skills. Something your average spotty 21/22 year old can't have. No substitute for experience.

As an employer I'd be more inclined to choose the OU candidate assuming qualifications were similar.

Are they worth it? Yes. It gives you some satisfaction that you have the mental cahoonas (sp) to see something like this through, that academically you're on a par with the spotty oiks (no offence) but have a boat load of life skills and, more likely, a fair amount of experince in your chosen field.

Mark

BSc (hons)