Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

American Gangter

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2007, 08:37 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Gangter

Denzil Washington Russel Crowe anybody seen it yet i'm going to the flicks tommorow to watch it.
Old 17 November 2007, 08:40 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No,sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,have a good time,get sweet popcorn because salted just isnt right
Old 17 November 2007, 08:44 PM
fluffy1970
Scooby Regular

hi watched it last week
Over all this is a great film which really gets into every nook and cranny of an issue. Don't see this film if your just looking for cheap thrills, this is a thinking film about the pervasive dishonesty of our culture.
Old 17 November 2007, 08:47 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Do a quick search on my name in NSR, as I posted the same thread a few weeks ago when I watched it
Old 18 November 2007, 12:30 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

me and the boss just got back from the cinema after watching it. for the first time in a while i sat and watched the whole film, and didnt shuffle about with boredom.

love denzel washington. such a good actor. forst film ive seen with russell crowe in too. excellent
Old 18 November 2007, 01:51 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the others view - very good movie . Certainly be in my top 10 for the year
Old 18 November 2007, 10:28 AM
330uk
Scooby Regular

Good movie but I think its been done before many times e.g Blow. The rise and fall of a drug dealer/gangster. Good entertainment but its no classic or great movies. Couldnt watch it again. I felt Ive seen these scenes before in many films like Heat, Scarface etc etc. I would give it 7/10
Old 18 November 2007, 12:27 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Watched it last night. I thought it was superb. Top acting by Washington and Crowe. Entertained all the way through and told what is a true story excellently I thought. Few areas they could have gone into more depth but as with any film you have to draw the lines somewhere. A must watch.
Old 18 November 2007, 01:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Can't wait to see it! I have checked out expert reviews on this film. Sounds superb!
Old 18 November 2007, 01:36 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

We watched it the other week, good film, good story, not as much action as I would have liked, but still a great film

Bit hard to be convinced that Denzel is a bad guy, and the film actually makes you think of him as more of a hero than baddie
Old 18 November 2007, 02:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
.......... the film actually makes you think of him as more of a hero than baddie
^This is very interesting, Steve.

I saw a review on this film when the film director Ridley Scott does express his genuine appreciation for the basic character of Frank Lucas. What makes one more interested in going and watching this film is that Lucas was present to see nearly every shot of the film being constructed.
Old 18 November 2007, 02:41 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Yes I believe so, also Richie Roberts spent quite a lot of time too on the set helping Ridley

I think because Frank turns in all the bent police that he sort of was a hero in that respect, but the film didnt really show too much of the seedier side of his empire and the destruction of life that it caused, but then that wasn't the story that the film set out to portray

Still a worthy watch though, and although I enjoyed Blow, I would say I preferred AG to blow
Old 18 November 2007, 03:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Yes I believe so, also Richie Roberts spent quite a lot of time too on the set helping Ridley

I think because Frank turns in all the bent police that he sort of was a hero in that respect, but the film didnt really show too much of the seedier side of his empire and the destruction of life that it caused, but then that wasn't the story that the film set out to portray

Still a worthy watch though, and although I enjoyed Blow, I would say I preferred AG to blow
see your point on this sonic. the scenes of actual drug taking/abuse and o.d.'s werent that frequesnt, although it did shock me to think lots of u.s. tropps did this during vietnam. although i guess nearly 40 years ago there wasnt nearly as much coverage or knowledge on heroin etc.

it took me a little while to realise that the basic story was frank lucas taking over his mentor and looking for the major slice in an incredible drug market.

quite scary to think how many bent cops there were in that film. usually with modern day action films, you have one or two (unless your watching hostel ), or a "mole".

still a fantastic film, and a superb portrayal
Old 18 November 2007, 03:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Nothing like posting a spoiler is there
Old 18 November 2007, 04:15 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Nothing like posting a spoiler is there
Its based on a true story
Old 18 November 2007, 04:48 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Its based on a true story
Which I doubt most people know... me included. Yes people may expect to find spoilers in here but it's decent manners not to post them without a prior warning. Just saying old bean
Old 18 November 2007, 06:32 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

But you knew it was a true story as mentioned in your own post about the film

Pointless me editing my post as you have copied what I typed

I would have thought anyone not wanting to know anything about the film wouldn't read the thread, although perhaps I should have said 'Spoiler' before I typed the rest of my post
Old 18 November 2007, 11:49 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

But you knew it was a true story as mentioned in your own post about the film

Pointless me editing my post as you have copied what I typed

I would have thought anyone not wanting to know anything about the film wouldn't read the thread, although perhaps I should have said 'Spoiler' before I typed the rest of my post
Tis all I was saying my good chap... I wasn't aware how much it was based on a true story until having seen the motion picture...