ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   American Gangter (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/648259-american-gangter.html)

finchyboy 17 November 2007 08:37 PM

American Gangter

Denzil Washington Russel Crowe anybody seen it yet i'm going to the flicks tommorow to watch it.

The Dogs B******s 17 November 2007 08:40 PM

No,sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,have a good time,get sweet popcorn because salted just isnt right:thumb:

fluffy1970 17 November 2007 08:44 PM

hi watched it last week
Over all this is a great film which really gets into every nook and cranny of an issue. Don't see this film if your just looking for cheap thrills, this is a thinking film about the pervasive dishonesty of our culture.

Sonic' 17 November 2007 08:47 PM

Do a quick search on my name in NSR, as I posted the same thread a few weeks ago when I watched it :thumb:

chocolate_o_brian 18 November 2007 12:30 AM

me and the boss just got back from the cinema after watching it. for the first time in a while i sat and watched the whole film, and didnt shuffle about with boredom.

love denzel washington. such a good actor. forst film ive seen with russell crowe in too. excellent

RobJenks 18 November 2007 01:51 AM

I agree with the others view - very good movie . Certainly be in my top 10 for the year

330uk 18 November 2007 10:28 AM

Good movie but I think its been done before many times e.g Blow. The rise and fall of a drug dealer/gangster. Good entertainment but its no classic or great movies. Couldnt watch it again. I felt Ive seen these scenes before in many films like Heat, Scarface etc etc. I would give it 7/10

STi wanna Subaru 18 November 2007 12:27 PM

Watched it last night. I thought it was superb. Top acting by Washington and Crowe. Entertained all the way through and told what is a true story excellently I thought. Few areas they could have gone into more depth but as with any film you have to draw the lines somewhere. A must watch.

Turbohot 18 November 2007 01:27 PM

Can't wait to see it! I have checked out expert reviews on this film. Sounds superb!

Sonic' 18 November 2007 01:36 PM

We watched it the other week, good film, good story, not as much action as I would have liked, but still a great film

Bit hard to be convinced that Denzel is a bad guy, and the film actually makes you think of him as more of a hero than baddie

Turbohot 18 November 2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7419248)
.......... the film actually makes you think of him as more of a hero than baddie

^This is very interesting, Steve.

I saw a review on this film when the film director Ridley Scott does express his genuine appreciation for the basic character of Frank Lucas. What makes one more interested in going and watching this film is that Lucas was present to see nearly every shot of the film being constructed.

Sonic' 18 November 2007 02:41 PM

Yes I believe so, also Richie Roberts spent quite a lot of time too on the set helping Ridley

I think because Frank turns in all the bent police that he sort of was a hero in that respect, but the film didnt really show too much of the seedier side of his empire and the destruction of life that it caused, but then that wasn't the story that the film set out to portray

Still a worthy watch though, and although I enjoyed Blow, I would say I preferred AG to blow

chocolate_o_brian 18 November 2007 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7419356)
Yes I believe so, also Richie Roberts spent quite a lot of time too on the set helping Ridley

I think because Frank turns in all the bent police that he sort of was a hero in that respect, but the film didnt really show too much of the seedier side of his empire and the destruction of life that it caused, but then that wasn't the story that the film set out to portray

Still a worthy watch though, and although I enjoyed Blow, I would say I preferred AG to blow

see your point on this sonic. the scenes of actual drug taking/abuse and o.d.'s werent that frequesnt, although it did shock me to think lots of u.s. tropps did this during vietnam. although i guess nearly 40 years ago there wasnt nearly as much coverage or knowledge on heroin etc.

it took me a little while to realise that the basic story was frank lucas taking over his mentor and looking for the major slice in an incredible drug market.

quite scary to think how many bent cops there were in that film. usually with modern day action films, you have one or two (unless your watching hostel:lol1: ), or a "mole".

still a fantastic film, and a superb portrayal:smug:

STi wanna Subaru 18 November 2007 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7419356)

Nothing like posting a spoiler is there :thumb:

Sonic' 18 November 2007 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 7419526)
Nothing like posting a spoiler is there :thumb:

Its based on a true story :thumb:

STi wanna Subaru 18 November 2007 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7419570)
Its based on a true story :thumb:

Which I doubt most people know... me included. Yes people may expect to find spoilers in here but it's decent manners not to post them without a prior warning. Just saying old bean ;)

Sonic' 18 November 2007 06:32 PM

But you knew it was a true story as mentioned in your own post about the film :D

Pointless me editing my post as you have copied what I typed :)

I would have thought anyone not wanting to know anything about the film wouldn't read the thread, although perhaps I should have said 'Spoiler' before I typed the rest of my post :)

STi wanna Subaru 18 November 2007 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7419906)
But you knew it was a true story as mentioned in your own post about the film :D

Pointless me editing my post as you have copied what I typed :)

I would have thought anyone not wanting to know anything about the film wouldn't read the thread, although perhaps I should have said 'Spoiler' before I typed the rest of my post :)

Tis all I was saying my good chap... I wasn't aware how much it was based on a true story until having seen the motion picture...