Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so predictable
Old 16 November 2007, 09:41 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

So the fuel was 10degs cooler than it should have been but they cant prove it. PMSL. Soooo brushed under the carpet. They'll all be using cool fool next season.
Old 16 November 2007, 09:50 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Daft question but why were Ferrari even sending a lawyer, Yes I know that if mclaren won then Kimi may not have remained champion but yet again ferrari have got involved in something that didnt involve them directly, it was between mclaren the FIA and Bmw/Williams.
Old 16 November 2007, 09:51 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
Daft question but why were Ferrari even sending a lawyer, Yes I know that if mclaren won then Kimi may not have remained champion but yet again ferrari have got involved in something that didnt involve them directly, it was between mclaren the FIA and Bmw/Williams.
I believe that was Williams/BMW stance about Mclaren too over the fuel temps, they showed no interest at the race regarding the temps, only after they thought they could win the championship in the boardroom
Old 16 November 2007, 09:52 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

cue cilla black...
Old 16 November 2007, 09:52 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richardg
cue cilla black...
Blind Date

Old 16 November 2007, 09:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
As an F1 licence holder any team can choose to be represented and/or make comment at a hearing.

Until yesterday McLaren were stating that they just wanted rule clarification rather than the drivers to be disqualified therefore handing the championship to Hamilton.

That changed yesterday morning when McLaren's lawyer did an about turn and stated that was exactly what they wanted. At this point Ferrari's lawyer stepped in and made a counter statement.

Hope this helps although somehow I doubt it
Old 16 November 2007, 10:00 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

This whole season stank to high heaven. At least in previous years they have managed to brush most of the politics under the carpet. What is even worse is that it looks like it will continue into next season.

McLaren are being hounded by the FA about the design of the 2008 car. There is also another spy scandal brewing.

Why we don't just buy a job lot of GP3 cars and let them all race essentially the same machinery so we can actually see who is the best driver. It is the competition we want, not this farce they feed us
Old 16 November 2007, 10:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
So the fuel was 10degs cooler than it should have been but they cant prove it. PMSL. Soooo brushed under the carpet. They'll all be using cool fool next season.
The track temperature at Interlagos was just about the highest ever recorded and hence differences between the fuel temp and ambient temp were bound to be greater than normal. I alos believe that Williams and BMW were the only cars tested in this way meaning that had McLaren or Ferrari been tested then they might have been similarly out of tolerance. I also believe the differences were 4or 5 degC not 10 as reported by the (pro-Hamilton) press.
Old 16 November 2007, 10:01 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Cant they bring back the old days of drivers smacking each other one down the pit lane, and have some real racing for a change
Old 16 November 2007, 10:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Why we don't just buy a job lot of GP3 cars and let them all race essentially the same machinery so we can actually see who is the best driver. It is the competition we want, not this farce they feed us
Interesting point. I have wondered just recently if with all these so called spy scandals and the advent of common ECUs, 10 year engines etc. whether we are indeed heading towards a standard car which is maybe Max and Bernie's ulterior motive.

Interesting you state 'what we all want' when in actual fact I think the technical innovation side of the sport is fascinating and am very sad to see it being driven slowly but surely out of the sport.
Old 16 November 2007, 10:10 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Technical innovation is great, but not when the cost is so high only one team can afford it. Car manufacturers have massive budgets, if they need to develop something that will make them money, then they generally do.

I still don't understand how this 10 year rule on engines will work. Its not as if all the teams are starting out at the same point. All that seems to mean is that the team with the best engine at the end of this season keeps that advantage for the next 10 years, hardly seems fair

Common ECU should be good. I want to see the aids the drivers rely on being removed so we see their skill. No longer will all the cars just launch at the start, there will once again be the chance to see the pressure get to someone.

I'm not sure 2008 will be great for the ECU, as I believe several teams were already using it this year. This means they have an advantage getting the best out of it. Most probably it will take a while for the other teams to catch up.
Old 16 November 2007, 10:16 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Technical innovation is great, but not when the cost is so high only one team can afford it. Car manufacturers have massive budgets, if they need to develop something that will make them money, then they generally do.

I still don't understand how this 10 year rule on engines will work. Its not as if all the teams are starting out at the same point. All that seems to mean is that the team with the best engine at the end of this season keeps that advantage for the next 10 years, hardly seems fair

Common ECU should be good. I want to see the aids the drivers rely on being removed so we see their skill. No longer will all the cars just launch at the start, there will once again be the chance to see the pressure get to someone.

I'm not sure 2008 will be great for the ECU, as I believe several teams were already using it this year. This means they have an advantage getting the best out of it. Most probably it will take a while for the other teams to catch up.
Yep understand what you say about the costs but it's no different to football where the clubs with the most money buy the best players.

As for the ECU I too read that some teams were using it this year, but I don't think that's right. The ECU will be far more basic than the bespoke versions on the current cars as it is only allowed to operate with a basic set of engine sensors and to a certain (lower) specification than the current ones hence I doubt anyone would have run one this year.

Read Bob Bell's (Renault) comments about it as he says it is a definite step backward sand they have only just got it to work on their car.

The biggest laugh is that it is made by ... McLaren. Wonder if the ones Ferrari get will be 'faulty'
Old 16 November 2007, 10:18 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Cant they bring back the old days of drivers smacking each other one down the pit lane, and have some real racing for a change
I'm up for that and drivers with personality
Old 16 November 2007, 10:26 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie001
I'm up for that and drivers with personality
all pile on Kimi

*SPEAK UP, SMILE, YOU MISERABLE SOD!!*
Old 16 November 2007, 10:27 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

all pile on Kimi

*SPEAK UP, SMILE, YOU MISERABLE SOD!!*
He probably is right about now
Old 16 November 2007, 11:09 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Can we not just get shut of the FIA?

I'd love to see a race series with rules are along the rules of; here's the circuit, go this way round as fast as possible, try not to kill yourself / each other, away you go!
Old 16 November 2007, 11:11 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Ill aak again, as not sure if the question got answered on another post

But does anyone know what happened to the Breakaway series tha was talked about a few years ago ?
Old 16 November 2007, 11:12 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

F1 is like a pantomime and a poor one at that, when they shout "He`s behind you" we all know whose behind him as the sport is that predictable.
Old 16 November 2007, 11:28 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Ill aak again, as not sure if the question got answered on another post

But does anyone know what happened to the Breakaway series tha was talked about a few years ago ?
i think it got binned due to the changes that are happening in the current series.
Old 16 November 2007, 11:43 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I think the technical innovation side of the sport is fascinating and am very sad to see it being driven slowly but surely out of the sport.
by Ferrari - There seems to be a rule stating - "Ferrari can have technical innovation, but no-one else can"

mass dampers, adjustable floors, frozen fuel, team orders

To be fair, McLaren want the same rules, but they don't have the FIA in their pocket, so they have to put up with other teams trying their hardest
Old 17 November 2007, 12:12 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
by Ferrari - There seems to be a rule stating - "Ferrari can have technical innovation, but no-one else can"

mass dampers, adjustable floors, frozen fuel, team orders

To be fair, McLaren want the same rules, but they don't have the FIA in their pocket, so they have to put up with other teams trying their hardest
Oh go on, I'll bite

Mass dampers - Renault innovation, banned following protest by... McLaren. Ferrari had to remove their version of the system as well.

Adjustable floor - used by Ferrari for one race, McLaren asked for clarification, The FIA introduced a new test which would effectively deem it illegal, Ferrari removed it before the next race.

Frozen fuel - a complete misundertanding of the situation in Brazil blown out of proprotion by the pro-Hamilton press. Ambient temp was just about highest ever. Fuel temps in Williams and BMW 5 degC below ambient limit. Ferrari and MCLaren cars not tested, would probably have been the same. Appeal lodged by McLaren, thrown out.

Team orders - always used by all teams. McLaren with Alonso/Hamilton this year, Mika/DC a few years back, Ferrari made the mistakle of being blatant about it in Austria 2002. Other than that they are no different to any other team.

Shall we also discuss BAR's hidden fuel tank, BAR's torque transfer system, McLaren's hidden brake bias pedal, McLaren's tampering with the ECU a few years back. Not saying they are any worse than Ferrari, just no better. - it's a highly competitve sport - the rules will be pushed to the limits and sometimes beyond.
Old 17 November 2007, 12:19 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I have to say that in recent years the spotlight was always on Ferrari due to them winning so many races & championships

I dont recall Williams ever getting the same kind of scrutinisation or accusations when they won 5 years on the run, or Mclarens succesful run before then

Shame they binned the idea of the break away series, that would have been much better to watch than the current crop of processional driving
Old 17 November 2007, 12:27 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Team orders.... Hungary - If Alonso hadn't been penalised he would have been 1st/2nd. Who would have been WC then?

Adjustable floor - erm - its illegal, but we will let you off this time - don't do it again

McLaren and Ferrari seem to bend the rules as much as they can. The FIA seem to arrange punishment to keep the title as close as it can be. I am not saying that the FIA are biased towards Ferrari (although one the balance of probability they are) but look at all the punishment meeted out in the last two years.
Objective 1 - make it close
Objective 2 - make sure Ferrari get the title

Can you remind me of the punishment Ferrari recieved when Barichello let Schmacher past at Indy? How does that equate to the punishment recieved when Alonso and Hamilton didn't play the game in Hungary quali?
Old 17 November 2007, 12:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Team orders.... Hungary - If Alonso hadn't been penalised he would have been 1st/2nd. Who would have been WC then?

Adjustable floor - erm - its illegal, but we will let you off this time - don't do it again

McLaren and Ferrari seem to bend the rules as much as they can. The FIA seem to arrange punishment to keep the title as close as it can be. I am not saying that the FIA are biased towards Ferrari (although one the balance of probability they are) but look at all the punishment meeted out in the last two years.
Objective 1 - make it close
Objective 2 - make sure Ferrari get the title

Can you remind me of the punishment Ferrari recieved when Barichello let Schmacher past at Indy? How does that equate to the punishment recieved when Alonso and Hamilton didn't play the game in Hungary quali?
No you miss the point. The adjustable floor wasn't illegal in Aus and the car passed all scrutineering, it wasn't until after Aus it was deemed illegal as it was decided to be against the spirit of the rules. Same as the mass dampers (incorrectly IMHO) , torque transfer system etc.

You are spot on about the championship being manipulated to keep it close. Remember Malaysia 1999. The Ferraris were disqualified as the barge boards were 5mm too low. The FIA overruled this thereby keeping the championship open to the last race. Sorry but if the cars were out of spec by 5 or 55mm it doesn't matter, they were out of spec.

I believe Ferrari were fined for Austria 2002. Having said that it was a different case to Hungary 2007. It wasn't just team orders that were penalised there, but the fact that Alonso impeded Hamilton deliberately.
Old 17 November 2007, 01:22 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Last year Schumacher seemed to be about to run off with the championship and parked the red van in Monaco. Penalised by being put to the back of the grid, which made the championship virtually even stevens again. When was the last season that an FIA decision didn't have a bearing on the championship (excluding the years that Schumacher had won it by round 2)
Old 17 November 2007, 01:25 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I am not griping about Ferrari. I am griping about the FIA trying to enginereer a close championship. When Schumacher was dominant, they disqualified him for doing smelly farts.

Everyone knows smelly farts is the true sign of a champion
Old 17 November 2007, 01:53 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I am not griping about Ferrari. I am griping about the FIA trying to enginereer a close championship. When Schumacher was dominant, they disqualified him for doing smelly farts.
Well let's see.

The FIA definitely had a hand in the following years:

2007, 2006, 2005, 2003, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1995, 1994

2000 and 2001 I don't think so but not sure

Anyway as you can see it's a regular occurence.

The problem is F1 is more of a business than a sport nowadays.
Old 17 November 2007, 02:05 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

But it seems that Bernie is trying to make it look like a sport while the FIA and that fekin w4nkpot Mosley are trying to make it look like close competition. Mosley was at Stormont last night rubbing shoulders with Martin McGuinness. Everyone knows that McGuinness has a few dead people on his hands. It is a pity he didn't add one to the Disappeared.

p.s. - If I never post again you will know i have been 'got' - Betcha a tenner it was Mosley and not McGuinness

Quick Reply: Mclaren lose their appeal