Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

how much homework do your kids get?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2007, 07:42 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much homework do your kids get?

my daughter is in year 5, (age 9 to you and me) and attends a stockport school.

she has homework every single night both this week and last week as well
its not just her its everone in her class also.

its far too much, it adds an extra hour to our day as well as hers,
Old 15 November 2007, 07:50 PM
spireite
BANNED

My 7 year old has a project on Egypt to do . gets spellings every other night and maths homework once a week
Old 15 November 2007, 07:51 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

and a reading book as well. she is not behind or anything and im sure it has benefits, but god.
Old 15 November 2007, 07:56 PM
spireite
BANNED

Does take up a lot of time . but as long as they benefit its going to be worth it . Oh and then theres football practice thursday nights and match days on saturday mornings
Old 15 November 2007, 08:00 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

the latest one is beavers for my lad, i thought he would be learning "heroes of telemark" survival techniques, infact he was baking!
Old 15 November 2007, 08:08 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

My 6 year old nephew is in infant school and has homework most evenings, and every weekend (reading/sums etc). Some of the maths he gets I know I didn't get to until junior school

His class was even given homework to complete over the summer holidays just gone as they were a little behind the rest of the year, even though they were not behind regionally or nationally

It's all about targets and school league tables

Too much pressure too soon in my opinion, already he hates going to school and doing his homework.

In my day the pressure didn't really start until senior school, and even that was too soon for me
Old 15 November 2007, 08:12 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
my daughter is in year 5, (age 9 to you and me) and attends a stockport school.

she has homework every single night both this week and last week as well
its not just her its everone in her class also.

its far too much, it adds an extra hour to our day as well as hers,
Do you know, I first read that as your daughter does everyone elses homework in her class too

Eldest is 7, which is Year 3 for the school types ( I still cant quite get my head round this americanisation of year types, and I work in schools )

She does get quite a bit of homework, and so do the other 2 (4 & 5 years old)

The eldest is out 3 nights a week with Karate and Cool Club, and is going to be starting Brownies too on another evening, she also has choir after school on another evening too

It is starting to get a bit difficult with all of them now getting homework and finding the time to make sure it is all done to a reasonable level
Old 15 November 2007, 10:13 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

7 Year old has about 40 mins a night, 11 year old has 1hr a night.

As long as they crack on when they get home its all done by 4.30pm....no big deal. (in fact the 11 year old has just gone to secondary school where they have a 25 min lunch but leave school at 2.30.......20 min walk home and she is still done with home work by 4pm and off out with her mates - wish i had their lifestyle!
Old 15 November 2007, 11:27 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

The simple answer is - too much.

My 8 yr old gets far too much homework. It's ridiculous. I don't remember getting homework at all until I got to secondary school, can't kids have a childhood anymore?

It seems the schools can't structure their days properly so palm the responsibility of work onto the children and their parents.

Judging by the standard of literacy of school leavers and graduates we get, the extra homework isn't doing any good!!

One thing I have noticed about school since I was there, the teachers are alot fitter I think the headmaster has an eye for them..........

Geezer
Old 15 November 2007, 11:30 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino

As long as they crack on when they get home its all done by 4.30pm....no big deal. (in fact the 11 year old has just gone to secondary school where they have a 25 min lunch but leave school at 2.30.......20 min walk home and she is still done with home work by 4pm and off out with her mates - wish i had their lifestyle!
I have noticed that quite a number of secondary schools are adopting this short lunch finish early option now

Not quite sure on the reasons behind it, I keep meaning to ask at the schools, but never get round to it
Old 16 November 2007, 09:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I have noticed that quite a number of secondary schools are adopting this short lunch finish early option now

Not quite sure on the reasons behind it, I keep meaning to ask at the schools, but never get round to it
Lunchtime: difficult to supervise, open to poor behaviour, especially if kids can go off site.

Schools on a hiding to nothing if kids are involved in stuff, injured etc etc.

Result: get shut of lunchtimes. PS: That's NOT the answer you'd get if you asked the school

BTW: Most folk who are AGAINST homework seem to be in a minority. I well remember asking a friend whose daughter had just started secondary school how she was getting on. He replied that it seemed to be a really good school.

I asked him what he based that on, and he replied, "She gets lots of homework and they are really strict on uniform".

Alcazar
Old 16 November 2007, 11:48 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Given that last week we had the feature on Lottery Trisha who said of temperatures "They're trying to tell me that -6 is warmer than -8 but I'm not having it", isn't this a good thing?
Old 16 November 2007, 12:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never really remember get any, much less doing it !

Ours get loads and its a battle to get them to do it, but they need to do it, its a competetive world, I do think some of its a bit pointless and long winded though.
Old 16 November 2007, 07:00 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I went to a private school,
so had always been brought up having H/W,
it was planned out over the week being two subjects a night, normal work time being 30mins each.
then when in the 4th/5th year (in the two years before leaving doing GCSE's) it went to 40mins per subject.

It was never really an issue.

we also had exams every year too,this was good as the fnal GCSE's didn't come as a shock

Phil
Old 17 November 2007, 12:05 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino

You should get a job in finance - you never have to put in 7 hours a day

p.s. OP - my 9 yo gets all her homework on Monday. usually about 4-5 hours in total, so about the same. On the flip side - My 6 yo can do the 9 yo homework in about an hour. I can't figure out...... if she is that clever, why is she so fekin temper wrecking stupid when it suits her