Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jill Dando - Barry George Appeal

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2007, 12:04 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jill Dando - Barry George Appeal

George has had his conviction quashed but faces re-trial.

Now that the gun residue evidence has been thrown out it seems hard to imagine what is left to convict him?

dl
Old 15 November 2007, 12:18 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I think he'll almost certainly be acquitted in the second trial.

The gun discharge evidence was pivotal. There was other evidence but it was circumstantial - he was the local celebrity enfatuated gun nut, he attempted to arrange an alibi, etc, he was seen in the area hours before the murder (but then he lived in the area

I'm not sure whether he committed the murder, but I think it's fair to say that it cannot now be proved "beyond reasonable doubt".

Andy Mc
Old 15 November 2007, 12:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
I think he'll almost certainly be acquitted in the second trial.

The gun discharge evidence was pivotal. There was other evidence but it was circumstantial - he was the local celebrity enfatuated gun nut, he attempted to arrange an alibi, etc, he was seen in the area hours before the murder (but then he lived in the area

I'm not sure whether he committed the murder, but I think it's fair to say that it cannot now be proved "beyond reasonable doubt".

Andy Mc
Agreed. Plus he has a very low IQ and there is some doubt as to whether he would actually have been capable of killing poor Dando in what was more like a "contract" type job. dl
Old 15 November 2007, 12:27 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Agree with Andy, hard to send somebody down for murder with that evidence alone. Really not sure what to make of it all.
Old 15 November 2007, 12:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

So the three appeal court judges have ordered a re-trial.

But what if the DPP decide there is insufficient evidence to proceed? Would a trial have to go ahead? dl
Old 15 November 2007, 12:33 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Did he get bailed then ? Or remanded again until re-trial.
Old 15 November 2007, 12:36 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
So the three appeal court judges have ordered a re-trial.

But what if the DPP decide there is insufficient evidence to proceed? Would a trial have to go ahead? dl
I would imagine that if that was the conclusion the DPP arrived at that would be the second case up the spout.
Old 15 November 2007, 01:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonno_johnson
Did he get bailed then ? Or remanded again until re-trial.

Stays in jail.

BBC NEWS | UK | George wins Dando murder retrial
Old 15 November 2007, 01:14 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Cheers, well i think that this is a step towards his release i can't see them winning a re-trial now.
Old 15 November 2007, 01:38 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Excellent news. It always seemed like in traditional police fashion, they run round the local area looking for the weirdest weirdo so they can pin it on the "freak"...
The whole case stank from the off, the documentaries highlighting the weakspots in the prosecution only seemed to confirm what most of us were thinking.
Good luck Barry
Old 15 November 2007, 03:22 PM
Thevoicewithin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Excellent news. It always seemed like in traditional police fashion, they run round the local area looking for the weirdest weirdo so they can pin it on the "freak"...
The whole case stank from the off, the documentaries highlighting the weakspots in the prosecution only seemed to confirm what most of us were thinking.
Good luck Barry
Belive me, I for one, know that there are, or have been some Old Bill in the past that have fitted people up. FACT

But why would anybody wish a piece of scum like Barry George good luck is beyond me.

George is a nonce who does`nt deserve to be walking the streets of the UK.

He`s a sex case with a conviction for attempted rape and other associated wrong doings.

To sum-up he`s a WRONG UN.
Old 15 November 2007, 03:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thevoicewithin
Belive me, I for one, know that there are, or have been some Old Bill in the past that have fitted people up. FACT
NSS like Brazilian electricians?
Old 15 November 2007, 03:43 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

What else has he been done for in the past , if he's such a wrong-un? Not defending the bloke, but you seem to know a lot about him.

As far as I know he was just a bit of a low IQ loner who had a few issues, I've not heard anything worse than that.
Old 15 November 2007, 03:48 PM
Thevoicewithin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
What else has he been done for in the past , if he's such a wrong-un? Not defending the bloke, but you seem to know a lot about him.

As far as I know he was just a bit of a low IQ loner who had a few issues, I've not heard anything worse than that.

Psss, there`s this no fangled thing called Google, I think it`s available on the Internet.

Read all about it, "Bloke called Jesus, found, Hung on a Cross".
Old 15 November 2007, 03:53 PM
Thevoicewithin
Scooby Regular

George had previous attempted rape conviction | Media | MediaGuardian

The bloke is a crank who deserves to be locked up/put down in the ground.

Would you want him near your mother/wife/daughter???????????????
Old 15 November 2007, 03:54 PM
Thevoicewithin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
NSS like Brazilian electricians?
you`ve got it.
Old 15 November 2007, 03:58 PM
Thevoicewithin
Scooby Regular

Agreed. Plus he has a very low IQ and there is some doubt as to whether he would actually have been capable of killing poor Dando in what was more like a "contract" type job. dl
Serbian

She did a good job but she ruffled a lot of feathers, but then again, if you are doing a good job in the role she was in, you would, would`nt you?.
Old 15 November 2007, 03:59 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link to Google, i've not used that before where did you find it? I just found this, he sounds like a bit of a character to me!

In 1981 in Derby he organised a stunt in which he was to jump over a row of double decker buses on his rollerskates. Hundreds of tickets were sold for the event. Reportedly at the last moment, having seen the platform and ramp which had been constructed, he tried to back down but in the end managed to complete the leap.
Old 16 November 2007, 12:35 PM
idf101
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This killing has always had the hallmark of a "contract" when you consider that no one was seen entering or leaving the site, the killer waiting for her to get to her front door allowing the time for her get her keys out etc which allows for her distraction, also meaning the kill site was less visible to neighbours or passing pedestrians, the positioning of the kill shot meaning it would be instant and definite.
The type of weapon used (never recovered) and the distance it was fired would also imply a calm and calculating person who knew what he was doing.
Apart from the other complete lack of evidence except from the questionable gunshot residue and the fact this man appears to be none to clever or scheming would make me think he was a soft target because the Met had no other leads.
Old 16 November 2007, 12:37 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by idf101
This killing has always had the hallmark of a "contract" when you consider that no one was seen entering or leaving the site, the killer waiting for her to get to her front door allowing the time for her get her keys out etc which allows for her distraction, also meaning the kill site was less visible to neighbours or passing pedestrians, the positioning of the kill shot meaning it would be instant and definite.
The type of weapon used (never recovered) and the distance it was fired would also imply a calm and calculating person who knew what he was doing.
Apart from the other complete lack of evidence except from the questionable gunshot residue and the fact this man appears to be none to clever or scheming would make me think he was a soft target because the Met had no other leads.
Indeed.
Old 21 November 2007, 07:46 PM
coolcookie
Scooby Newbie

Who was the Jan ***** girl anyway?
Old 22 November 2007, 08:46 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

In 1981 in Derby he organised a stunt in which he was to jump over a row of double decker buses on his rollerskates. Hundreds of tickets were sold for the event. Reportedly at the last moment, having seen the platform and ramp which had been constructed, he tried to back down but in the end managed to complete the leap.

To be fair.....anyone that can jump over buses on roller skates with an IQ of a rabbit should be given a second chance (and a jet powered skateboard and a slot on a TopGear special)