Sponsored by:

MY01 (HONEST)OPINIONS PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2001, 12:50 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,

car is superb, my only mods are ppp, morretts and a pimp tint. the car is now exactly as i want it so it hasnt cost me loads to bring it up to what i want.

"fugly", hmmm, what does that mean? its a car not art, you dont sh4g it do you? i suppose it depends on what you want the car to look like, personally i want it to look just like it does so im sorted. in fact happy MY01 owners are laughing as they like the scoob as it is now, they can mod, buy, replace their car at will. Old owners who dont like the MY01 are stuck, they have no where to go, they will end up on Top Gear in 10 years under the "and heres a saddo who still likes these old things that were discontinued years ago" bit.
bit like being a capri fan now, even if you like/respect what it was you really should move on with your life!

Also people seem to think the world is this bbs, it aint. when i drive in to a garage for petrol the people turn round and look. "classic" owners would have you belive those people are thinking "are theres an ugly MY01, my it does need the morrette conversion and does that owner not realise hes carry an extra 150kg compared to the "real" scooby, he must be looking at an extra .00337362 to 60mph"

WAKE UP!!!! joe bloggs does not live in our bbs, hes sees a MY01 and thinks "bloody fast them suburboroy things"

Tiggs

PS- if you live inside this bbs and every drive to work is hampered by P1's and cossies then i take it back! i was speaking as an oddity whos daily trunddle takes in mondeos and people carriers thus making me faster than 99% of other users.

in fact, being a MY01 owner living in the real world is cool!
Old 07 September 2001, 12:59 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

George,

just to put your mind at rest:

BMW is on of the most hated of brands by many people.
It is one of the most seen.
A diesel will make it one of the most normal of performers.

In contrast my car is one of the fastest, best handling, loudest, most aggresive looking cars you can have and still retain seats for 4.

if anyone cares to suggest that it is not all of this i would be interested to hear why

Tiggs
Old 07 September 2001, 10:14 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

Have just taken the plunge and traded my MY99 for a silver 01 WRX. Nearly bought a BMW diesel (company car so emmissions was main reason) but came to my senses. How do owners rate their MY01?
Should I have waited for the MY02?
Old 07 September 2001, 10:19 AM
jasonleeds
Scooby Regular

Talking

converted from a merc company to UK300 PPP.

Love it....not as refined but a great drive.

I'm happy at the moment.....
Old 07 September 2001, 10:30 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by George W Bush:
<B>Have just taken the plunge and traded my MY99 for a silver 01 WRX. Nearly bought a BMW diesel (company car so emmissions was main reason) but came to my senses. How do owners rate their MY01?
Should I have waited for the MY02?[/quote]

I dont really see the point in waiting - you should be able to get some sort of discount according to my dealer!!! The MY02 is going to include the two new UK STI's in the range - including a rather tasty Prodrive WRC replica. If you've got £30 - 35k to spend and can wait till January to get the car - it may be worth holding on. The official launch is on the 11th of this month - so hold on until tuesday!!! The car looks great.

However.....

If you add morrettes, a spoiler and bigger wheels, plus a PPP and import some funky bodykit(if thats what your after!!), you are getting a cheaper car with similar performance. The new car does have some funky diff and valves though - so its probably a better car as standard!!

Tough choice....

Ive got an MY01 and im spending lots at the mo - PPP next friday, then off to Scoobysport for some LEDA bits.

Depends if you happy with a "stock" car or you want to individualise it!! Personally i like to make mine a bit different - so im adding as i go along....

Great car - make sure you buy one - be it MY01 or MY02!!

Good luck hunting!!

Jza

Old 07 September 2001, 10:41 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Morettes or not, they're still a fugly car.
Old 07 September 2001, 11:43 AM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Cool

"Morettes or not, they're still a fugly car."

I don't think so!! but that's MY opinion

So far no problems except stone chips, unlike previous cars i've owned from new including a Merc CLK, Audi A4 and a Jeep.

The Audi and Jeep both had to have numerous trips back to the dealers for electrical, brake, supension etc... problems

Subaru 10 out of 10, IMHO, they just need to supply info a bit quicker e.g PPP, UK300

simon
Old 07 September 2001, 01:07 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

BMW 330 diesels seriously shift. I mean they are very quick.

Not quite 0-60 in 3.8 secs though

ps. my 01 is fugly with a capital FU.

Morettes or not.

Is growing on me, but like a wart which I want removed asap.
Old 07 September 2001, 01:09 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tiggs:
<B>Old owners who dont like the MY01 are stuck, they have no where to go, they will end up on Top Gear in 10 years under the "and heres a saddo who still likes these old things that were discontinued years ago" bit.[/quote]

Not exactly true. I know of at least 3 guys who have switched to a Skyline rather than go the MY01 route.

Now they're good looking cars (but then I'm biased).

In fact, being a Skyline owner living in the real world is v.cool. ( It's a 4-seater too )

But hey, I'm just playing with you. They're all great cars and taste is a personal thing.

[This message has been edited by DavidBrown (edited 07 September 2001).]
Old 07 September 2001, 01:18 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

how much is a skyline????

not exactly like for like with a MY01 is it????

Tiggs

and stop playing with me you perv
Old 07 September 2001, 01:24 PM
BobaFett
Scooby Regular

Well I love the MY01 but now I am worried I will want to change it when I see what these MY02 STi's look like....
Old 07 September 2001, 01:28 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

errr, you probably will wont you? isnt it a more expensive car? if i had the option of a skyline, evo7, sti7, i'd prob change!

my wife would prob. dump her fiesta for a scoob if it didnt cost so much ???!!?

tiggs
Old 07 September 2001, 01:47 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well I changed from a MY99 5dr with PPP to a MY01 4 dr and I love it !

To be honest the change was enforced as the MY99 was written off , and originally I had planned to get an old shape. But when I was at a dealer one day and saw the old a new ones together the old one looked incredibly dated, so I test drove the new one and ended up buying it.

I'm not a huge fan of the styling although IMHO mine in WR blue does look pretty good, and they do look a lot better in the metal than in the pix. It certinly attracts a lot more attention than the old did.

As regards the car, it is better in every way than the old one apart from one area - it is definitely not as quick, although it is still one fast car. Part of the problem is the extra refinement means you don't get the "kick" that the old one had. Having said that, be aware that the engines seem very tight when new, mine has done over 3k now is noticeably quicker than when I first got it with 1.5k on it. Once mine has loosened up a bit more I will be treating it to a PPP which will hopefully restore the balance somewhat.

George asked for opinions from MY01 owners so all you luddites can bog off

PS George, any chance of doing something about global warming, cheers
Old 07 September 2001, 02:10 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

I like mine. It's a nice car. Surprised all my passengers so far with how refined it is.

Sure it's not pretty. But it really makes me laugh to see the old shape owners say this, as if their cars are beautiful...

Since when has 'pretty' been a Subaru feature? That's not what they are about. If you are at all bothered about a car's looks then let's face it, you wouldn't consider either the new one OR the old.
Old 07 September 2001, 02:20 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I gather low mileage import Skylines are sub £30K. OK, so not MY01 price, but not as far away as you'd think.

True enough, the Impreza was never "pretty", but it was never downright ugly like the MY01, and people have a hard time parting with £22K+ for that thing to be sat on their driveway. It's got a face only an owner could love

And don't tell me it'll grow on us, the similarly trout faced Ford Scorpio is still an ugly car.

[This message has been edited by DavidBrown (edited 07 September 2001).]
Old 07 September 2001, 02:29 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

David,

i see the point but.... its 5k+ more and thats for a second hand import. if i spent 5k less on car i'd be looking at 17-18k cars which are completlyyyyyyyy different in spec and performance to mine.

in fact its a credit to the MY01 that its even considered a viable alternative to more expensive cars like evos, new sti's etc

Tiggs
Old 07 September 2001, 02:29 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Well I've never owned a Subaru before so I can't really compare to the old one. I've got a UK300 with PPP. Because I've never been in the old one I can't say if it's as quick. But I did have a race with a Pulsar the other day. Stuck with it like glue, this was on a long straight as well. My car had only just done 1000 miles and he claimed afterwards that his car had been upgraded to 300BHP. So if thats so I guess a my01 with PPP aint much different to the old. As for people looking, nearly everyone looks it really does get the attention on the street.
Old 07 September 2001, 02:33 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidBrown:
[B]It's got a face only an owner could love

wrong! what it is has is a face that only old shape owners seem to hate!

Tiggs
Old 07 September 2001, 02:37 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tiggs:
<B>David,

i see the point but.... its 5k+ more and thats for a second hand import.[/quote]

Fair point, it all comes down to budget. I was just saying that I know of a few people changing to a Skyline (clearly their budget allowed it). The original post didn't mention budget.

If I had £23K to spend on a NEW UK car.. it'd go on a Rover (Support British Industry !)

Old 07 September 2001, 03:03 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

Thanks for all the replies it's interesting hearing everyones opinions. I initially hated the looks but I think they will grow on everyone, when the Focus came out it was slammed for it's looks now they're nearly as common as the old shape Impreza(flame suit on!!!) Really though each to their own if we were all the same it would be boring.

P.S. Simes can't really help with global warming - don't think it would help my daddies considerable shareholding in the oil,forestry and mining companies. I'm in this for my people after all.

[This message has been edited by George W Bush (edited 07 September 2001).]
Old 07 September 2001, 03:15 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've had a MY'00 UK Turbo, then a P1 and now a MY'01 WRX..

The MY'01 is good improvement (drive wise) over the old, yes it feels a little 'slower' than the old, but ultimately handles better and is much better for people that do a lot of miles each year.

I for one, am dead chuffed with it, and have done a few mods to make it look more aggressive (morrettes, STi skirt, clear side repeaters/reflectors, OZ wheels, defi gauges, carbon interior, strut brace, scoobysport bb/cs, panel filter). Will hopefully get the PPP at some point.

I think more people should test drive them first before making rash judgments and the STi promises to be even better.

Alex
Old 07 September 2001, 03:20 PM
IggDawg
Scooby Regular

Hey all. I'm 22. I have a TS wagon. There's no turbo, sub-200 bhp 2.5 L, and steel wheels with hubs. There are no fog lights, just "fog lights should go here" plates covering the sockets. I can't beat 8 seconds for my 0-60. I'm not a weak driver either. And I love the damn thing. I commute about 90 miles one way to work every day. thats about 3 hours of driving 5 days a week. I average about 200 miles every day after all is said and done. The car's about 2 months old and has nearly 18,000 miles on it. I can't get enough of it. I'm real aggressive on the highway. I love speed, and acceleration.. linear or angular. Any sort will do. I screwed with the intake a little. just added straight metal pipes and used the stock airbox. I did some stereo work on it also. other than that its stock. I can't imagine what fun it would be to drive one of those UK toys you guys have. they give us Yanks crap to play with. Still, I have the bottom of the barrel and I love it. Thats my opinion. Over here they call what you guys know as the MY01 the MY02, so you can think of it as an MY01. Still this is my honest opinion. Take it as it is.

-IggDawg
Old 07 September 2001, 05:53 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

About the performance of the MY01... In Rotterdam and Amsterdam there are dragraces every weekend. Illegal maybe, but a lot of fun and relatively safe because of the locations. (mostly in deserted harbour areas)
I own a well run in (5000 miles) standard WRX01 with only a SS backbox and last week i had a few runs against a guy i know from the Dutch BBS. He drives a standard MY99 with only a backbox. Well, he won every time with the same margin. BUT.. he was only 6 meters in front of me at 100 mph.. thats one and a half car lenght, not more. I lost but i was very happy all the same because of the very small difference. Hey, this guy doesn't even have an airco...
Old 07 September 2001, 07:20 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

my honest opinion of the new shape is although it 'may' be a capable car and 'perhaps' an impovement performance wise over the old shape, I personally wouldnt have one. I feel id have to wear pink shirts grow a moustache and listen to Queen if i bought it.

It amazes me that new shape owners swear blind the looks 'grow' on them or look better than old shape. Yet in the next breath they cooly mention that they have changed the lights, spoilers wheels etc etc, with not a hint of irony.

I had the choice of a P1 or a uk300, and saw both cars side by side. For me there is no comparison, the P1 much meaner and certainly more masculine looking. Guess which car i drove home in? How many mods have i made on the P1? a s/s exhaust.

All the times i have been stopped and asked questions about the car peops ALWAYS shake their head and say how they hate the look of the new shape. I havent heard one joe public say they prefer goggle eye.
Old 07 September 2001, 08:44 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I only drove the 'classic' shape a few times so can't comment on how much better the MY01 is over it. But, I love mine. I got it on Saturday and still haven't stopped smiling

It gets looks everywhere and as far as the looks go, the only think I am changing is the rear spoiler (please hurry up Mr. Croney!).

Once I have a back box to make it louder, the only thing left to change is the brakes, which is a bugbear from the old shape too.

Steve

DBM MY01
Old 07 September 2001, 08:59 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

Well, I bought the last MY00 turbo I could find - registered July 1st. I made that decision with all the thoughts of people thinking of it as an old model with an "aged" look. When I first paid attention to them with ownership in mind a couple of years ago I thought they looked too angry. I had a sport and thought that was angry but not quite as bad!

I tried hard to like the new model look but it just didn't happen. Both of us have driven the new model a couple of days and yes, they're easier to drive, the inside has come closer to what is typical of modern cars but I just have never come closer to liking the external looks of the car.

To spend any amount of money on a car, I have to like it and the older model look does it for me. Yes, the inside is similar to my last Toyota that was new 12 years ago, but it's got what I want in the car with aircon and Cd player and the drive makes up for everything else - call me old fashioned or a luddite - I'm very happy
Old 07 September 2001, 09:43 PM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

Let's not forget that regardless of looks , the new model has completely removed the awesome performance advantage of original model, it's sooooo much slower on the road. It's taken the PPP version to bring it back to the original Mk 1 Turbo level. The STI will hopefully bring us back to supercar status, but that original £20,000 performance car slayer has gone.
Old 07 September 2001, 10:09 PM
TomWRX..
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by George W Bush:
<B>Have just taken the plunge and traded my MY99 for a silver 01 WRX. Nearly bought a BMW diesel (company car so emmissions was main reason) but came to my senses. How do owners rate their MY01?
Should I have waited for the MY02?[/quote]

I was forced to change my MY99 for a MY01 earlier this year due to change of job - no problems encountered at all- I was originally a little disappointed by more "gentle" power delivery ("gentle" in Scooby terms - still impressive enough by most people's standards and let's not forget that!!).

I have now fitted a full ScoobySport exhaust - now that does make a difference - feels much more similar to MY99.

I know that the WRX is not universally popular with the people of Scoobynet but I think it is a more useable car - better build quality and better spec'd inside. As for looks, I agree that it not as attractive as previous incarnations but faced with no choice (new employer, new car) I wasn't going to pick anything else, now was I? Just my opinion for what it's worth

Also had none of the reported problems to date with stone chips (WR Blue) - Just some jealous little tw@t who ran a key along two doors.

Cheers

TOM
Old 07 September 2001, 10:41 PM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

MY01 = Ford Scorpio

Body panel should as standard be connected to the battery so if some ars@ runs his keys along it he gets a SHOCK
Old 07 September 2001, 10:46 PM
TomWRX..
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Carlos The Jackel:
<B>MY01 = Ford Scorpio

Body panel should as standard be connected to the battery so if some ars@ runs his keys along it he gets a SHOCK [/quote]

Now there's an idea!!

Just thought of another difference in the driving experience - not as many waves/flashes from other Scoobies - either they are getting me confused with a Mondeo or there is an element of elitism creeping into the Scooby population

[This message has been edited by TomWRX (edited 07 September 2001).]

Quick Reply: MY01 (HONEST)OPINIONS PLEASE