UK house price growth picks up

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2007, 09:39 AM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK house price growth picks up

Price falls unlikely

The Labour information dept (BBC) strike again.........

Best get a 125% Mortgage then its all going to be OK

UK house prices rose at their fastest rate in four months during October, mortgage lender Nationwide has said.

Prices rose 1.1% in October from the previous month, taking the average house price to £186,044, it said. On an annual basis, house prices rose by 9.7% from the same month in 2006, up from September's figure of 9%.

However, while there is evidence of a slowing in house price growth in many areas of the UK, it does not necessarily mean that the market will fall, the Nationwide said.
Referring to a report by the International Monetary Fund which claimed that UK house prices were overvalued, Ms Earley said it was "indisputable" that property values had climbed ahead of certain key indicators, particularly earnings. But that did not mean that house prices were "destined to fall", she added. "In fact, in the absence of an early 1990s-style shock to unemployment or interest rates, they are unlikely to do so,".

I PAY £130 a year for this BS!!!!

Last edited by GOLDMAN 555; 31 October 2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 31 October 2007, 09:43 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're all dooooomed I tell ye'
Old 31 October 2007, 09:59 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I thought it already fell though?
Old 31 October 2007, 11:42 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems pointless for them to micro-report every monthly change as there is a lot of noise in the figures, and those from the various (vested) interests disagree.

We also repeatedly hear the same news over the last year or so as the various indices have crossed £200k.

If we had 1.1% every month for a year then the annual change would be 14%.

If you think this trend will continue you could make a huge amount of money by spread betting on it, as a few of the spread betting companies are already pricing in drops in indices.
Old 31 October 2007, 12:26 PM
Tart Man
Scooby Regular

Location: Custard, Strawberry, Apple, Blonde, Brunette...its all good!

Boom bust boom bust boom bust ad infinitum
Old 31 October 2007, 01:07 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Do you work for ITV GOLDMAN?

So the BBC report the house price figures of one of the most important lenders in the country and it is Labour bias. What a crock.

This would be the same BBC reporting the HBoS figures that indicated a fall. I didn't hear you shouting bias then.

To quote a famous car personality - ****!
Old 31 October 2007, 01:54 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I don't know why people worry and I can understand the Natiomwide's stance/interpretation.

It's only the livelihood of all the building societies,estate agents,banks,shops,the government,companies,individuals and indeed the whole economy that might be affected if there was a special change in the housing market

Just waiting for all those at the end of fixed rate deals to be rather surprised at what their new mortgage payment will be
Old 31 October 2007, 03:01 PM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Do you work for ITV GOLDMAN?

So the BBC report the house price figures of one of the most important lenders in the country and it is Labour bias. What a crock.

This would be the same BBC reporting the HBoS figures that indicated a fall. I didn't hear you shouting bias then.

To quote a famous car personality - ****!
Todays Headlines:

History’s warning about the price of money- The FT

Times Online: Slight pickup but the trend is down for house prices

Bloomberg: Housing Market Teeters on Edge of Northern Rock in Capital Bust

BBC Headline UK House Price Growth 'Picks Up'

When talking about financewouldn't you say Bloomberg and the Financial Times knew what they were talking about?

Instead the BBC are headlining ad-nauseum the ramblings of the nationwide and asserts that house prices are accelerating again! They really just print anything that keeps Gordon's debt ridden gravy train running!

I wouldn't mind apart from the fact I have to payfor this rubbish
Old 31 October 2007, 04:44 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Sadly you are demonstrating the same level of bias as you are accusing the BBC of.

I make no claim to know where the house market is going however I can read and see the BBC reporting the figures of a major lender. It is not a story on the housing market as a whole. If you are questioning bias then perhaps your target should be Nationwide for merely publishing the facts. (PS Where I live house prices have risen 2% per month for the past six months )

As I said earlier when the BBC reported price falls in line with a story regarding the HBoS figures I did not see you shouting BIAS.

So you tell me - when is the BBC biased? Is it only somehow when you don't agree?
Old 31 October 2007, 04:48 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

By the way here is a really baised story from the BBC only YESTERDAY talking of alarm bells and price falls...

Price falls

If you search there are plenty of others from the same source over the past month - far outnumbering the positive house price stories.

The evidence would seem to favour you being biased rather than the BBC
Old 31 October 2007, 06:09 PM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch

The evidence would seem to favour you being biased rather than the BBC
oh how silly of me.......I forgot the BBC were completely independent due to their "special" way of funding.

I don't care what they sayI just don't want to pay for it..........and I think it's a little bit strange how they only pedal positive stories about certain issues.
Old 01 November 2007, 12:27 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GOLDMAN 555
oh how silly of me.......I forgot the BBC were completely independent due to their "special" way of funding.

I don't care what they sayI just don't want to pay for it..........and I think it's a little bit strange how they only pedal positive stories about certain issues.
...but not the issue you used as an example

Taken from the story you regard as positive...

""misguided" to view the rise as proof that house prices were immune to problems in the financial markets."

"growing evidence of weaker buyer confidence, slowing mortgage demand and easing house price pressures shown by most other housing market indicators"

"we would be wary of interpreting today's data as evidence that the housing market remains robust,"

"there is evidence of a slowing in house price growth in many areas of the UK"