Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

outside lane hoggers AAAARRRGGHHH

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2007, 10:22 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outside lane hoggers AAAARRRGGHHH

Just been to the White rose in Leeds via the ring road and all the way there and back there is some **** sat in the outside lane of the dual carriageway with nothing in front and nothing at the side of them just plodding a long at smack on 38mph(40 zone road very quite tonight))...god it just infuriates me its as if they havent got a glue about the rule USE THE OUTSIDE LANE FOR OVERTAKING.I know there will be no one on here who does it but who taught these *****?
Old 30 October 2007, 10:43 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

sorry that was me......

not
Old 30 October 2007, 10:51 PM
Tart Man
Scooby Regular

Location: Custard, Strawberry, Apple, Blonde, Brunette...its all good!

Probably preparing to turn right 10miles down the road

I've met him/her a few times. Seems to own quite a few different cars too
Old 30 October 2007, 10:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by powerman1
Just been to the White rose in Leeds via the ring road and all the way there and back there is some **** sat in the outside lane of the dual carriageway with nothing in front and nothing at the side of them just plodding a long at smack on 38mph(40 zone road very quite tonight))...god it just infuriates me its as if they havent got a glue about the rule USE THE OUTSIDE LANE FOR OVERTAKING.I know there will be no one on here who does it but who taught these *****?
Was he waiting for you outside or summat
Old 30 October 2007, 11:58 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

If it's a white MR2 then it's definitely my sister-in-law, she does it all the time (along with stopping at green lights, driving at 40 in a 60 etc etc), absolutely oblivious to people undertaking/ flashing her. Her dad taught her to drive - he is a Driving Instructor believe it or not.
Old 31 October 2007, 12:00 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

This makes my blood boil, its so very very hard not to tail gate them.
Old 31 October 2007, 12:02 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Inside lane on their rear quarter

Winds people up something rotten, especially if you speed up a bit and they think you're going to undertake so close the gap in front
Old 31 October 2007, 12:03 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

Winds people up something rotten, especially if you speed up a bit and they think you're going to undertake so close the gap in front

Wil try that
Old 31 October 2007, 12:15 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

lol thats what i do-in town any way
Old 31 October 2007, 01:47 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

On the M40 on Sunday, at one particular point I could see for the best part of a mile that there was 1 vehicle Lane 1, 5 vehicles in Lane 2, and 20 vehicles in Lane 3 all because at least 4 of the tw*ts in Lane 2 were cruisin' instead of pulling back into Lane1. Useless effin toerags!! If there was proper lane discipine in this country, we probably wouldn't need some new roads.
Old 31 October 2007, 07:57 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
On the M40 on Sunday, at one particular point I could see for the best part of a mile that there was 1 vehicle Lane 1, 5 vehicles in Lane 2, and 20 vehicles in Lane 3 all because at least 4 of the tw*ts in Lane 2 were cruisin' instead of pulling back into Lane1. Useless effin toerags!! If there was proper lane discipine in this country, we probably wouldn't need some new roads.
Youre right!
Dont people know the outside two lanes (or one lane) are for overtaking?
Old 31 October 2007, 09:09 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

It would be nice to see traffic cars on the motorway dealing with this rather than sitting at the side of the road waiting for someone doing 70.1 mph
Old 31 October 2007, 09:34 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I've watched middle lane morons pass patrol cars parked at the side of the road and nothing was done.

Steve
Old 31 October 2007, 10:41 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
I've watched middle lane morons pass patrol cars parked at the side of the road and nothing was done.

Steve
Ahh but i bet they weren't speeding though
Old 31 October 2007, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All this sort of rubbish as well as the uninsured, unroadworthy, drunk or stoned trogs driving around until we get a proper proportion of the traffic police back on the roads.

Les
Old 31 October 2007, 12:39 PM
simscooby
Scooby Regular

DRIVES ME MAD TOO.

I don't condone this (because it is not good practice at all) but I undertake all the time because it's the quickest way to get places especially seeing as 90% of the time i'm on motorways. I allways make sure i am concentrating fully and prepared to jam on anchors or swerve if someone decides to cut back in without looking AND i would never go betweeen two cars.

p.s. none of my friends sit in the overtaking lane anymore they've been told off TOO many times by me lol.
Old 31 October 2007, 12:44 PM
simscooby
Scooby Regular

p.s. i also think that there should be more road signs both fixed and on the electric boards telling people to keep left, it would really help congestion.
Old 31 October 2007, 01:25 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

weekly TV programme explaining highway code may help
Old 31 October 2007, 02:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simscooby
DRIVES ME MAD TOO.

I don't condone this (because it is not good practice at all) but I undertake all the time because it's the quickest way to get places especially seeing as 90% of the time i'm on motorways. I allways make sure i am concentrating fully and prepared to jam on anchors or swerve if someone decides to cut back in without looking AND i would never go betweeen two cars.

p.s. none of my friends sit in the overtaking lane anymore they've been told off TOO many times by me lol.
I think that your "undertaking" is a particularly dangerous practice.

Les
Old 31 October 2007, 02:22 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yes it can be dangerous - buts whats more dangerous some one asleep in the middle lane, and someone making proper use of the lanes available ?
Its often the best way to wake them up - espcially handy if hang in their rear mirror for a bit !

Richard
Old 31 October 2007, 03:00 PM
simscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think that your "undertaking" is a particularly dangerous practice.

Les
Like I said i don't condone my behavior and I am particularly careful when doing so as previously explained. Normally I would sit behind a car and give them time to realise what they are doing and move over, but some people just don't get it and will sit in the outside lane of a motorway for miles and miles with no sign of them moving over. If that is the case, then, in my opinion, undertaking is appropriate.

I mean let’s be real, I see people everyday undertaking, I am sure there are plenty on here that do it???? It's not good practice but when you drive on roads half full of people who just do not seem to be aware about what is going on around them then it is a method, albeit not a particularly wise one, of actually getting anywhere without the constant stop start driving that middle/outside lane hoggers cause.
Old 31 October 2007, 06:14 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I think, and I may be wrong. If the trafic in the lane you are in is travelling faster then you may pass on the right hand side.

If someone is cruising down the middle lane and you pass them on the inside it's fine, although I certainly do so with extreme caution. It's only undertaking if you swap lane to the right specifically to pass the car ahead.
Old 31 October 2007, 06:43 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

lol at this, had a moron on monday on the m25 sitting in the middle lane at 60, while there was a big line of faster cars in the fast lane!!!

so i get stuck behind him, unable to filter into lane three...

there was nothing in front of him, so i slowly crept closer to give him the hint, without hooting or flashing....

then he puts on his flashers as if to warn me back...!!!! dumbo!!!

lane 1 it was!! left him flashing his likkle fiesta main beam still in the middle lane!!!

i ask yer!!!!

it still amazes me how quick scoobs can overtake, when required!!!
Old 31 October 2007, 06:44 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

got to go back round there on the way home tonight.... lol
i'll look out for him again... should relieve the boredom of the "road to hell" hehehhe
Old 31 October 2007, 08:21 PM
Billgtt
Scooby Regular

I like the loop-da-loop game that I read about a long time back (it might have been on here actually). You overtake the middle lane moron, then move to lane 1, back off, let them overtake you. Then you go back to lane 3 and overtake them before moving into lane 1 again. See how many loops you can do before they get the hint

If you're feeling really bored/brave/stupid you could even do the "reverse loop-da-loop". Which is obviously the same, but backwards! Although I wouldn't reccommend that for obvious reasons
Old 31 October 2007, 09:38 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Mr Scott

Thank you for your e-mail of 28 May 2002 about lane discipline on our motorways. I have been asked to reply.

The Government sympathise with your concern about the standard of driving on our motorways. "Lane hogging" can be very irritating to other drivers, it reduces road capacity, particularly at high flow levels and it is potentially dangerous. However lane hogging is not a specific offence, although it is safe driving practice for vehicles using motorways to remain in the left hand lane unless overtaking as advised in the Highway Code. Failure to comply with the advice in the Highway Code does not in itself constitute an offence (nor would it necessarily be crucial to the outcome of any civil case which might come before the courts). However, anyone involved on such a case would be entitled to point to a failure to heed the Highway Code's advice. It would then be for the court to reach its decision in the light of all the evidence presented to it. Nevertheless The Road Traffic Act 1991 has given police the powers to prosecute people for the offences of dangerous and careless and inconsiderate driving.

Overtaking on the left is not an offence in the United Kingdom. However, all drivers are bound by our road traffic laws, and liable to prosecution for offences such as careless or dangerous driving. Enforcement of the law is, of course, a matter for the police who will make their decisions on whether to prosecute in the circumstances of each individual case.

My Department will continue to press home the message about good motorway lane discipline through publicity such as our leaflet "A Guide to Safer Motorway Driving". Additionally, signs reading "Keep Left Except When Overtaking" have been erected on some motorways and lane discipline has also been included in police motorway safety campaigns.

Yours sincerely

JOHN DOYLE

Now this basically says that being a middle lane moron is fundamentally LEGAL, but he does concede that the Road Traffic Act 1991 can be used to prosecute 'inconsiderate driving', so there is some hope there. Mr Doyle also states that UNDERTAKING IS LEGAL. Good news. Although he does point out that the Plod will look dimly on undertaking as it is potentially a careless or dangerous act. Hardly carte blanche to do what you want, then.

As for his leaflet 'A Guide to Safer Motorway Driving', this is something I have yet to see. Why not send it out with a road tax reminder, so I can't miss it? He also mentions signage, but I have only ever seen one 'Keep Left Unless Overtaking' sign on UK motorways, and this means there obviously need to be more.

So, it is still worth pressing for more signage, more education and clarification about undertaking? If it is written into the statutes that drivers can overtake on the right OR LEFT on multi-carriageway roads , then it is less likely to be seen as an unconventional 'dangerous or careless' act by the police.

Taken from here Middle Lane Morons - The Offical Website "Dedicated to freeing Lane 2 from the League of Chimpions" Middle Lane Morons
Old 01 November 2007, 01:05 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Billgtt
I like the loop-da-loop game that I read about a long time back (it might have been on here actually). You overtake the middle lane moron, then move to lane 1, back off, let them overtake you. Then you go back to lane 3 and overtake them before moving into lane 1 again. See how many loops you can do before they get the hint

If you're feeling really bored/brave/stupid you could even do the "reverse loop-da-loop". Which is obviously the same, but backwards! Although I wouldn't reccommend that for obvious reasons

LOL, that was on here, at leat 4 years ago, if not longer!!!
there was also a game using the "stay on his rear quarter, so he is never able to turn off the motorway" priciple. lol ah the memories!!!
Old 01 November 2007, 11:45 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

though I would prefer to see these guys shot into the sea from a cannon, i've settled on signing the petition here
Old 01 November 2007, 12:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simscooby
Like I said i don't condone my behavior and I am particularly careful when doing so as previously explained. Normally I would sit behind a car and give them time to realise what they are doing and move over, but some people just don't get it and will sit in the outside lane of a motorway for miles and miles with no sign of them moving over. If that is the case, then, in my opinion, undertaking is appropriate.

I mean let’s be real, I see people everyday undertaking, I am sure there are plenty on here that do it???? It's not good practice but when you drive on roads half full of people who just do not seem to be aware about what is going on around them then it is a method, albeit not a particularly wise one, of actually getting anywhere without the constant stop start driving that middle/outside lane hoggers cause.
I can understand your frustration and I would feel exactly the same way. I also realise that you are careful the way you do it. However, people who do hog the outside lanes are usually dozy anyway and just dont know the rules of the road with respect to lane discipline. They are perfectly likely to pull over into you as you pass without any warning and then you are particularly poorly placed of course without a leg to stand on. Could even be literally if others get involved!

Yes of course other people do it, I see it often enough, but that cannot be used as justification. The more who do it, the more will do it! After all its not just your accident but the others who could be involved innocently. Takes a surprising amount of space to stop an out of control car at those sorts of speeds. Apart from not being good practice, it is against the law and people on those roads do not expect it.

I don't apologise for that point of view.

Les

Quick Reply: outside lane hoggers AAAARRRGGHHH