Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2007, 03:29 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prison Story - Pistonheads

Maybe SIAL but worth a read if you've got a while:

Prison?

The thread starts off poorly until a poster 10 Pence Short reccounts his experience of an accident with a biker while out with a group of car enthusiasts.

Some of the reply comments are childish, but the thread as a whole gives plenty to think about.
Old 30 October 2007, 03:41 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

blimey..... wish i read this before i went out for a rag about earlier!!!!

sobering stuff and top marks for 10PS for sharing it will all.
Old 30 October 2007, 04:03 PM
simscooby
Scooby Regular

wow, now that is a story. Don't know what to say really. That could happen to anyone of us. Sometimes you have to think was justice served!!! Did this man deserve prison?
Old 30 October 2007, 04:07 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Reading it now, Ive only read about his first day so far, definately want to read more though, facinating incite.
Old 30 October 2007, 04:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Fascinating read.

As said above, it could happen to any of us on here. One tiny mistake and thats it. Sobering thought.
Old 30 October 2007, 04:27 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very, very worth a read. Especially for those on here who keep talking about prison being just a holiday camp and how it should be toughened up.
Old 30 October 2007, 04:33 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Very eye-opening
Old 30 October 2007, 04:41 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It's a very well written piece and it is sobering, because like many people on here, I had the odd blast in my scooby on backroads (although I never went sideways round bends) and like him, I never stopped to think that my selfish illegal driving could cause such misery to an innocent human being in a heartbeat.
It's a harsh reminder to the over exhuberant who "enjoy" country lanes to play on the track and behave on the road.

Hats off to 10ps for sharing his story, it might just save a life
Old 30 October 2007, 04:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

PS remember you're all pussies, no-one buys a fast car just to stick to the speed limits, eh grandad, etc etc...
Old 30 October 2007, 04:51 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I presume that is said ironically Brendan....... was a long read, but very worthy.
Old 30 October 2007, 04:52 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

I'm not afraid to admit that when I read the statement from the injured motorcyclist (page 12) I felt quite emotional.
Old 30 October 2007, 04:53 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree michaelro.... everyone likes to have a "blast" but just reminds us that we need to actually think what the worse case scenario can be....
Old 30 October 2007, 05:05 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

about a year ago one of my friends was driving to work to pick some stuff up,a road driven every day for 6 years,lost the back end of his car on a bend off a roundabout,spilled diesel we later found out,i was in the front passenger seat everything went so quickly,all i saw was a silver corsa out my window window before the car snapped back and ended up in a hedge,how we never hit the corsa i dont know and i thought god we were lucky.About 30 mins later police were there and taking statements,mate in the back of their car etc and i noticed a crowd of people had gathered,rubberneckers i thought,then a bus appeared and they all got on.When the car was towed out of the hedge thats when it dawned on me there was a bus stop at that point we hit,it was now under the car.If we had waited another half hour to go to his work,we would have hit those people no doubt about it.that one act woke me up and changed the way i think when i drive MY car
Old 30 October 2007, 05:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Very sobering posts from the chap. I've had a few moments now and then, and thankfully they ended in nothing more than my own tyre rubber being left on the tarmac and a thought of "Oh ****, that was close" in my head, and I'd think that others on here have experienced the same.

It is also good to see some mature comments and questions from others (along with the, to be expected, morons posting their usual tripe) about what happened and the experience of being inside.

We like to think we would be able to deal with a bit of bird, but I think the reality is that we'd feel exactly the same as this chap, if not worse.

It's cliched, but you never know what you have until it's taken away from you.

The only upside, if one can call it that, is that the biker wasn't killed. Severely injuring another person is one thing, but if he had died then that is a whole other level of guilt/remorse to deal with.
Old 30 October 2007, 05:12 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Very sobering particularly as its written so well and hopefully will make others, as it has with me, think carefully about how, why and where we use the performance of our cars. Certainly a hell of a lot more valid than scameras or other revenue generators for enforcing the message.
Old 30 October 2007, 05:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Very good read.
Old 30 October 2007, 05:58 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Superb thread, some very sobering points.
Old 30 October 2007, 09:03 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Just spent the last few hours reading that thread

very sobering indeed, and as others have said a superb thread
Old 30 October 2007, 09:36 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Very thought provoking.

Steve
Old 30 October 2007, 10:18 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I meant to mention this last week when I saw it. He has a riveting writing style. The two accounts of what happened on that day differ wildly. One account is just out for a drive, the other talks of total recklessness.

No sentence can ever undo the damage that has been done. It will have taken a lot to post about that on the net. Hopefully both parties manage to make something of the rest of their lives.
Old 31 October 2007, 01:09 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Been reading this via the 205 forum this week - has it made anyone else question their car ownership and driving styles?

I drive like an old woman these days as I have "the fear", but that story just makes me want to forget about cars, modding, meets/runs out etc and focus on family life etc - I've even been looking at Lexus's today as a comfy cruising machine that would slow me down on any B roads.

I haven't lost or "almost lost" a car on the roads since I was 17/18 and new to driving, but you do get the odd moments on wet/diesel soaked roads if your lose concentration for a split second.

At the weekend I was almost killed along with my wife and 7 month old son when a ******** young lad in a new Fiesta ST lost it at 70mph plus on a bad bend near my house (Britains most dangerous road apparently), and manage to slide sideways behind us and down a side road - he missed us by feet and a thick oak tree by about 10 inches - lucky to be alive, and if we had left the house 2 seconds later I would be dead now.
Old 31 October 2007, 01:42 AM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

I agree it is a very, very sobering thread but I admit I am surprised he went to jail.

This guy had had an accident and was stationary, albeit blocking the road.

The motorcyclist then drove into the stationary car after coming too fast around a blind bend and was unable to stop. Indeed the motorcyclist was going so fast he was thrown a very considerable distance which thus contributed significantly to his own injuries. The car driver was not to blame for that element.

A good defence lawyer should have been able to keep the car driver out of prison with a £300-£500 fine and 6 to 9 penalty points for driving without due care and if I had been in the car driver's shoes, I would have defended the case very strongly indeed, going to appeal if a jail sentence was handed out.

Notwithstanding that, it remains a very sobering read for anyone who hoons their motor and I will forward it to my car-driving sons who probably go a just a bit too fast for their own good.
Old 31 October 2007, 09:07 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Our very own Perry Mason!
Old 31 October 2007, 09:29 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
I agree it is a very, very sobering thread but I admit I am surprised he went to jail.

This guy had had an accident and was stationary, albeit blocking the road.

The motorcyclist then drove into the stationary car after coming too fast around a blind bend and was unable to stop. Indeed the motorcyclist was going so fast he was thrown a very considerable distance which thus contributed significantly to his own injuries. The car driver was not to blame for that element.

A good defence lawyer should have been able to keep the car driver out of prison with a £300-£500 fine and 6 to 9 penalty points for driving without due care and if I had been in the car driver's shoes, I would have defended the case very strongly indeed, going to appeal if a jail sentence was handed out.

Notwithstanding that, it remains a very sobering read for anyone who hoons their motor and I will forward it to my car-driving sons who probably go a just a bit too fast for their own good.

Have you read all the comments made by the person who went to jail?

His car was not stationary, it was still moving on the wrong side of the road on a blind bend, your above points have been argued and discussed on that thread

As the person himself said, he was driving in a manner that was classed as dangerous, as he himself went into the corner to fast for the road and lost control and as a direct result caused the accident, the other evidence against him was all of his posts made on a car forum too which went against him
Old 31 October 2007, 09:29 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

The most alarming part about the story is that it was as much the perception about his driving that was his undoing in court as the actual accident. This was because he overtook people and was part of a small convoy of other Type R drivers and the people he over took were called as witnesses.

Steve
Old 31 October 2007, 09:55 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
The most alarming part about the story is that it was as much the perception about his driving that was his undoing in court as the actual accident. This was because he overtook people and was part of a small convoy of other Type R drivers and the people he over took were called as witnesses.
That's quite scary to think about. If you overtake anyone these days you get the ****** sign and flashing lights. If you were to have an accident further down the road, how would the drivers behind describe your driving?
Old 31 October 2007, 10:03 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
That's quite scary to think about. If you overtake anyone these days you get the ****** sign and flashing lights. If you were to have an accident further down the road, how would the drivers behind describe your driving?
Exactly. Overtaking is a-kin to genocide with most of todays motorists.

Steve
Old 31 October 2007, 10:13 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

They also used statements from the enthusiast website he posted on.

Unfortunately for him, most of his comments depicted him as a boy racer.

Further damning evidence which made defending the case much more difficult.

If any of you are in a similar situation and they came on here to see you'd driven at 150 on a private runway or wasted this or that car - You could well end up the same way!!

Several lessons to be learnt from that story.
Old 31 October 2007, 10:34 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by michaelro
Several lessons to be learnt from that story.
The main lesson being, as he freely admits, is don't drive beyond or even approaching your limits on the road.

Steve
Old 31 October 2007, 11:26 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

This what I will tell my daughter when she starts to drive

Accidents happen whenever man interacts with moving machinery of any type, they always will FACT.

Most but not all accidents are avoidable. It’s the people that drive cars that make mistakes not cars.

Never say never - we are all capable of having an accident.

Cars can be great fun but be very considered about your actions.

Ignore what the pressures of modern society tells you to do - focus on developing your ability and attitude behind the wheel don’t focus on what the car does.

It only takes a second to f-uk it up totally for life

It is obvious to most of us that the personal stories in that thread would be a far more effective way to get people to consider their actions and bring down road death...not littering the country with revenue collection devices..

Quick Reply: Prison Story - Pistonheads