Pet Snakes

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2007, 09:10 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pet Snakes

Hi Guys and Gals

My 10 yr old has been given the choice of something he wants for sitting his 11+ exams. He has decided either a mobile phone (which im not that keen on) or a snake.
Now, i havent got the first clue on pet snakes and was wondering if any of you guys do. Someone has told me go for a corn snake and to get their fangs removed ?? Is this right. Are they easy to look after ?? Where can i get one from, Im in South Bucks so somewhere reasonably local would be good.

Thanx in advance
Old 30 October 2007, 09:28 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I say get him a King Cobra, then when he passes his GCSEs with all A's then he can get the matching Mongoose...
Old 30 October 2007, 09:30 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
I say get him a King Cobra, then when he passes his GCSEs with all A's then he can get the matching Mongoose...
Now there's a thought
Old 30 October 2007, 10:37 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I used to have 2 garter snakes. They look nice and have good novelty value, and if you handle them gently they aren't (usually) inclined to bite you. If they do bite, they aren't venomous and you harly feel their tiny fangs, though they do draw blood.

Downsides.

1. Having to buy/store/defrost mice/rats/fish, I found it annoying having to defrost mice on a radiator and warm them to body temp before feeding, plus they smell a bit. Women don't tend to like opening an ice cream tub from the fridge and finding dead rodents.

2. Reptiles carry salmonella and other nasties, so you need to wash/sterilise your hands every time you handle them, feed them, clean the tank etc. Otherwise you'll be getting the ***** or worse fairly frequently.

3. Their **** stinks, like any other animal that purely eats meat/fish for its diet. Coupled with the fact that the tank is heated means you can get some pretty rank smells from them.

After keeping mine for a couple of years, I also felt a bit sad keeping them cooped up all the time, they aren't pets that you can 'let out' to roam around, and it didn't feel right to me not letting them have any freedom. Mine had parasites and died (they don't live long anyway), and I wasn't tempted to replace them afterwards.

Btw I called mine 'Snake' and 'Other Snake'.
Old 30 October 2007, 10:40 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I used to have 2 garter snakes. They look nice and have good novelty value, and if you handle them gently they aren't (usually) inclined to bite you. If they do bite, they aren't venomous and you harly feel their tiny fangs, though they do draw blood.

Downsides.

1. Having to buy/store/defrost mice/rats/fish, I found it annoying having to defrost mice on a radiator and warm them to body temp before feeding, plus they smell a bit. Women don't tend to like opening an ice cream tub from the fridge and finding dead rodents.

2. Reptiles carry salmonella and other nasties, so you need to wash/sterilise your hands every time you handle them, feed them, clean the tank etc. Otherwise you'll be getting the ***** or worse fairly frequently.

3. Their **** stinks, like any other animal that purely eats meat/fish for its diet. Coupled with the fact that the tank is heated means you can get some pretty rank smells from them.

After keeping mine for a couple of years, I also felt a bit sad keeping them cooped up all the time, they aren't pets that you can 'let out' to roam around, and it didn't feel right to me not letting them have any freedom. Mine had parasites and died (they don't live long anyway), and I wasn't tempted to replace them afterwards.

Btw I called mine 'Snake' and 'Other Snake'.
Ok, well he can have a Phone then
Old 30 October 2007, 10:54 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

What about an Iguana??
Old 30 October 2007, 10:57 AM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffy-bull
What about an Iguana??
His bedroom not big enough for one of them
Old 30 October 2007, 11:55 AM
New_scooby_04

A corn snake is a good starter: placid, usually good feeders, won't grow large, so modest keeping costs.

Remove its fangs???? LOL they don't have fangs; they're not venomous!! Leave it's teeth well alone, you can get worse injuries from handling a kitten!!

Ns04
Old 30 October 2007, 12:25 PM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

I agree with Ns04

I had an abino corn snake called Floyd, he grew to about 5 foot long and made a fantastic pet.

Yes their **** stinks but then I bet yours does too after a steak dinner

I fed Floyd on mice which I kept in the freezer sealed in an old ice cream tub, I used to defrost them wrapped in some kitchen roll inside one of those plastic tubs you get your chinese take aways in, just used to leave them on top of the tank all day and fed him of an evening.

I would advise handling the snake as often as possible and also to read as many books or websites as you can on the subject

setting up can be quite expensive, you will need the following
tank
secure tank lid (you will need to make it completely escape proof)
heat mats
polystyrene sheet to insulate the mats from whatever unit you have the tank on
lighting
thermometers (one for the hot end and one for the cooler end of the tank)
substrate
plantage (not real plants, real plants cant handle the climbing attention)
some large rocks for "basking" and for providing a hideaway and also to provide something rough for the snake to use when shedding
long set of tongs for feeding, you dont want the snake getting your fingers instead of the mouse

If you agree to get your son a snake I would reccomend purchasing all the kit first and setting it all up and getting it all up to temp before introducing the snake, once the snake is in leave him alone for a couple of days to settle in and get used to his new surroundings, snakes can get quite stressed and become ill.

When handling the snake move slowly and smoothly, remembering to support as much of the snake as possible. Fast movements will startle the snake and panic him

Probably most importantly, find a reputable shop or breeder to purchase your snake from. They will also be able to offer any advice you may need and will be more than happy for you to go along and see their setup and help you decide what is best for you

I think thats the basics, if you have any questions give me a shout

Last edited by CupraDave; 30 October 2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 30 October 2007, 03:47 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Id go for the phone!