Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sleep Clinic Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2007, 10:23 AM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleep Clinic Experiences?

Been having terrible problems sleeping recently - ages to fall asleep and then waking up every hour. Have been to the Dr who gave me sleeping tablets which had no effect and also had accupucture which hurt but didn't help me sleep. A sleep clinic has been suggested - anybody have any experiences of them?
Old 29 October 2007, 01:01 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

I went to a sleep clinic a few years ago but not because I was sleeping badly - I was sleeping too soundly and snoring which my wife was getting narked about.

I suspect they're not the same sort of clinic.
Old 29 October 2007, 01:07 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Badger...

Presume you have cut out Nicotine and Caffeine and you are getting daily exercise, and trying to stick to the same routine re time for going to bed etc ????
Old 29 October 2007, 01:10 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Dont smoke or drink T or coffee. Ever ! Done all the not working, excercising, eating etc just before bed. Room is dark, not too hot or cold etc etc
Old 29 October 2007, 01:14 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Relaxation tapes or Hypnotherapy ?
Old 29 October 2007, 01:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Underlying worry?
Old 29 October 2007, 01:21 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Underlying worry?
Nothing special at the moment....
Old 29 October 2007, 01:31 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Try going to sleep on the very edge of your bed......

You'll drop off in no time
Old 29 October 2007, 01:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

for SiPie...
Old 29 October 2007, 01:36 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

i often lay awake at night worrying about insomnia.
my solution is to get an xbox360 and use the time wisely!!!!

good luck though
Old 29 October 2007, 01:41 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Brendan
Old 29 October 2007, 10:12 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
I went to a sleep clinic a few years ago but not because I was sleeping badly - I was sleeping too soundly and snoring which my wife was getting narked about.

I suspect they're not the same sort of clinic.
Sleep clinics cover a multitude of conditions. Poor sleep can be caused by so many things.

The man should definitely go and see what they say, IMO.

Worked for me.

Asif
Old 29 October 2007, 10:17 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wake up at 4.10am every weekday morning and can't get back to sleep - i then have to get up at 6am for work and i'm nackered during the afternoon
Old 29 October 2007, 10:31 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by Freelance Badger
Been having terrible problems sleeping recently - ages to fall asleep and then waking up every hour. Have been to the Dr who gave me sleeping tablets which had no effect and also had accupucture which hurt but didn't help me sleep. A sleep clinic has been suggested - anybody have any experiences of them?
i've been no end of times.but i've got OSA.I go to papworth hospital once or twice a year.if you go i hope you like try to sleep covered wires and sensors.
Old 29 October 2007, 10:46 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bootsy
i've been no end of times.but i've got OSA.I go to papworth hospital once or twice a year.if you go i hope you like try to sleep covered wires and sensors.
Yes did see some TV prog about a sleep clinic where people were all wired up - I'm so restless (even on a good night) that I'd be ripping all the connectors off....
Old 29 October 2007, 10:53 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

they're well use to it mate.i know someone go there with the same problem as you.he got told that his brain wasn't resting or switching off at night long enough for sleep to last.but there loads of reasons this happen
Old 29 October 2007, 11:00 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Freelance Badger:

Are you overweight? Is your shirt collar size larger than 16 inches?

No, these are not joke questions. Sleep apnea is a serious illness which is easily cured.

If you are aware you are having sleep problems, and it is now recorded in your doctor's notes, then if you have an accident in the car through falling asleep at the wheel and kill someone you will be up for manslaughter. [There has been a recent case.]

In the meantime you yourself are several times more likely to have a serious stroke or a heart attack.

Yes, THIS IS SERIOUS SH*T, but it may be easily resolved.

I have been to a sleep clinic - there is nothing to it.

They stick various wires to your chest and a pulse thingummy on your forefinger. Check that this is not too tight before they leave you for the night!

The bedclothes are Newcastle strip! Seriously, the duvet cover is in black and white stripes so when they set the video camera running to record your movements in the bed [keep your hands above the sheets!], they can see what happens in the low light conditions.

During the night, they will record your breathing and any snoring [and f*rting!]. They monitor your pulse and heart rate too.

It is all pretty simple really. You wake up in the morning, have tea and toast and go on your way.

In the meantime, they have a look at all the data, you go back a week later and they talk you through the findings.

If you have sleep apnea, they may try out a CAP machine on you. This applies a bit of pressure to the air you breath in bed at night and keeps your airways open, stopping the interruptions to your breathing so you wake full of the joys of spring.

DO NOT DELAY. This whole thing is painless, pretty simple, and the results may save your life.

And in the meantime, cut out ALL caffeine and booze, go to bed at the same time every night even if you do not feel sleepy, take some exercise [go easy if you are not accustomed to it!], don't eat after 7 pm, and if you are overwieght, eat a bit less at each meal and don't snakc in between.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
Old 29 October 2007, 11:04 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

relieve yourself 'sexually', this may have more than the obvious positive benefit.
Old 29 October 2007, 11:10 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
Freelance Badger:

Are you overweight? Is your shirt collar size larger than 16 inches?

No, these are not joke questions. Sleep apnea is a serious illness which is easily cured.

If you are aware you are having sleep problems, and it is now recorded in your doctor's notes, then if you have an accident in the car through falling asleep at the wheel and kill someone you will be up for manslaughter. [There has been a recent case.]

In the meantime you yourself are several times more likely to have a serious stroke or a heart attack.

Yes, THIS IS SERIOUS SH*T, but it may be easily resolved.

I have been to a sleep clinic - there is nothing to it.

They stick various wires to your chest and a pulse thingummy on your forefinger. Check that this is not too tight before they leave you for the night!

The bedclothes are Newcastle strip! Seriously, the duvet cover is in black and white stripes so when they set the video camera running to record your movements in the bed [keep your hands above the sheets!], they can see what happens in the low light conditions.

During the night, they will record your breathing and any snoring [and f*rting!]. They monitor your pulse and heart rate too.

It is all pretty simple really. You wake up in the morning, have tea and toast and go on your way.

In the meantime, they have a look at all the data, you go back a week later and they talk you through the findings.

If you have sleep apnea, they may try out a CAP machine on you. This applies a bit of pressure to the air you breath in bed at night and keeps your airways open, stopping the interruptions to your breathing so you wake full of the joys of spring.

DO NOT DELAY. This whole thing is painless, pretty simple, and the results may save your life.

And in the meantime, cut out ALL caffeine and booze, go to bed at the same time every night even if you do not feel sleepy, take some exercise [go easy if you are not accustomed to it!], don't eat after 7 pm, and if you are overwieght, eat a bit less at each meal and don't snakc in between.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
cheers mate that save me typing it all outFreelance Badger as above
Old 29 October 2007, 11:23 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Not overweight and dont drink coffee or smoke even during the day. Will see Dr again and get her to refer me to a clinic. Ta for all the advice - most of it sensible !
Old 30 October 2007, 08:43 PM
RobBBB
Scooby Regular

Meditation worked for me, even with poor diet, booze, caffeine, shiftwork and worries. Worth a go - a £7.99 book boxed me off. HTH