Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Poor SKY reception

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 09:23 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The signal strength & quality is so low on my SKY TV system, that most channels break up and are un-watchable. I have a digital system, with amplifier. Could the dish alignment be out? It was installed a year ago, noticed it 6 months ago when it rained, now its all the time!

Old 10 January 2002, 09:39 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

We get the same problem now and again as well, but only when it gets very severe outside, we are also from the south so may it be something to do with a weak signal etc.

Cheers

J.R-XRS
Old 10 January 2002, 11:05 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like the dish is out, could also be water in the co-ax if it hasn't been terminated properly at the dish.
Old 11 January 2002, 02:32 AM
McMiata Man
Scooby Regular

The strong winds recently knocked everyones dishes out mear me. Was very funny to see everyone reaching out of windows and attic skylights and whacking the dishes with brush handles

I hard a hard job re-aligning mine as my dish is upstairs and at the other side of the house, so every time I made a tiny adjustment I had to come all the way down then all the way back up again.

After all that I fixed it by going through the menu system and choosing "find new channels" and they all re-appeared again.

Worth a try.
Old 11 January 2002, 02:09 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

matt - check there are no bushes/trees/ivy growing over the dish. This might sound daft but I had crap reception for a week until I realised that the ivy growing up the side of the house had started growing over the dish...

Andrew
Old 11 January 2002, 02:29 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

i've had this problem since mine was installed over 2 years ago. after a new box they now say its the area i live in (i am from the south).
Old 11 January 2002, 09:34 PM
jayz
Scooby Regular

Id have to say that your dish is definately out,if not though check to see if your signal quality is jumping,the most important bar is quality not strength, this will change with weather conditions,try pulling the plug out on digi box,holding your finger on backup button untill all lights appear on takes about 30 sec,if you have scart connected you will get black screen come up saying updating software i think, its been a while since i left,trees r a major factor in signal strength but you would know if trees r causing the problem as your pic would continue to pixel all the time or know signal at all,hope this helps any questions just ask,cheers jayz
Old 11 January 2002, 11:05 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

You could try a bigger dish. When sky digital was first launched they used smaller dishes than they arre using now, only by 60mm or so, but it might be worth trying one of these.
Old 13 January 2002, 02:03 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Chaps.

I shall get the alignment checked! Its strange that some of the cannels (The Box, etc) seem to be OK, while other are a waste of time!