Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to deal with Chav'd dogs ??

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2007, 02:37 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to deal with Chav'd dogs ??

I was talking to a friend of mine who works in the local vet and she said the park thats local to me has had several dogs attacked and a few owners by Chavs with dogs.

I'm not going to name the dog breads as I think that has nothing to do with it, but having a pup, I'm a bit worried now. I refuse to keep my dog on the lead when out and if it means having to drive somewhere to do it I will, but when I'm working we like the dog to go out twice a day and sometimes it has to be the local park!

Apparently on the last attack the owner of the attacked dog got biten when he picked his dog up to save it and the two girls with the other dog threatened to get their dad to "do him in"???? WTF??

I remember my Nan used to carry a walking stick with the sole purpose of protecting her dog... but I cant get away with that
Old 24 October 2007, 02:42 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just avoid the sorts of places that chavs go.
Old 24 October 2007, 02:48 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Sadly we could only afford to buy a house on the boarder of a very rough area. The road we live in is private but the road behind us and well basically all roads around us are council and thus.. and I make no connection to council houses and scallies, but thats where they tend to live !
Old 24 October 2007, 02:55 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Thats awful. I've got quite big dogs so generally you'd be pretty silly to allow your dog to come anywhere near me or my dogs!
Some people have certain dogs as a status symbol, they think with certain breeds they themselves become a harder person.
I don't always let my dog off - because they are big (Dogue de Bordeaux - like in Turner & Hooch), alot of people are quite scared when a big 10 stone dog comes haring over - but I have another dog who has fantastic heal work and will stay right by me without a lead.
But its always the minority that ruin such pleasant times!
Old 24 October 2007, 02:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Have you considered a tracking lead to maintain some control over the dog, but give her freedom?

Putting your arms into the middle of a dog fight is never a good idea. As inhumane as it sounds, sometimes it either better to wait for a break, or some would say use feet to distract.

Not good that you cant walk your dog safely, in this case, im assuming the suggestion is that the "chavs with dogs" have actually SET their dogs onto people and their dogs?
Old 24 October 2007, 02:59 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
Thats awful. I've got quite big dogs so generally you'd be pretty silly to allow your dog to come anywhere near me or my dogs!
Some people have certain dogs as a status symbol, they think with certain breeds they themselves become a harder person.
I don't always let my dog off - because they are big (Dogue de Bordeaux - like in Turner & Hooch), alot of people are quite scared when a big 10 stone dog comes haring over - but I have another dog who has fantastic heal work and will stay right by me without a lead.
But its always the minority that ruin such pleasant times!
Mine will be big enough when she's older but she wont be angry enough to defend herself.. German Shepherd.

Shes a big fluffy mess at the moment and I'm really worried she might try to play with one of these dogs ! Its not the dog I know, but the owners cant control them.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:01 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Have you considered a tracking lead to maintain some control over the dog, but give her freedom?

Putting your arms into the middle of a dog fight is never a good idea. As inhumane as it sounds, sometimes it either better to wait for a break, or some would say use feet to distract.

Not good that you cant walk your dog safely, in this case, im assuming the suggestion is that the "chavs with dogs" have actually SET their dogs onto people and their dogs?
Not that I know of, she has one of those long leads, but still its not good for a pup to be on the lead, we're training her too so its very important she doesn't have it on.

We aim to be able to walk without a lead and call her back.. but these dog are beaten, kicked and no looked after, to the point they will snap.

edit: mate, as you know all the good thinking goes away when your little puppy gets attacked, its feet first at the other dogs head.. my pup wouldnt fight back she'd drop to the floor.. 15 weeks old.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:02 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Mine will be big enough when she's older but she wont be angry enough to defend herself.. German Shepherd.
Just because a dog is not aggressive towards its keeper and others does not mean it cant defend itself. Its a very natural instinct to become aggressive when provoked.

Not that she should have to fight of course, but I would not be too sure she was not up to it.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:03 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Just because a dog is not aggressive towards its keeper and others does not mean it cant defend itself. Its a very natural instinct to become aggressive when provoked.

Not that she should have to fight of course, but I would not be too sure she was not up to it.
I hope she can, but hope I never have to find out !!
Old 24 October 2007, 03:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Not that I know of, she has one of those long leads, but still its not good for a pup to be on the lead, we're training her too so its very important she doesn't have it on..
Not good for a pup to be on a lead? I have not heard that. I thought thats where a lot of heal training came from.
Why is it bad? Got be curious now.

edit: mate, as you know all the good thinking goes away when your little puppy gets attacked, its feet first at the other dogs head.. my pup wouldnt fight back she'd drop to the floor.. 15 weeks old.

Of course, I would not expect Tuvaaq to be able to defend himself at this stage, but at the same time its not a clever idea to try and seperate an aggressive dog in a fighting frenzy. Got to stop it obviously, but arms tear easily.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:06 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Shes a big fluffy mess at the moment and I'm really worried she might try to play with one of these dogs ! Its not the dog I know, but the owners cant control them.
Agree with you totally - dogs (most of the time) are like Children - they are what you make them. My husband is a Security Dog Warden - and German Shepherds are very sought after for this line of work because they are one of the best dogs to train in any line of security, so, taught correctly, your little fluffy mess could easily out-wit any attacker.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that you train a dog to attack - thats not a good idea unless you know exactly what you are doing, and even then - its a pretty big thing to do.

However, a helpful hint - to make ANY dog release ANYTHING from its jaws - put your finger up their ***. Sounds gross - but if some dog had hold of one of my dogs/kids etc - i wouldn't hesitate!
Old 24 October 2007, 03:09 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

I also have to say here that i have NEVER heard of training a dog without a lead! As I said my husband is in security and his working dog is trained to attack on command, speak, sit, heal, stay, lay down, retrieve - the full works - but never has the dog been trained off of a lead - sometimes a long lead is used - and its not even always held - but a trained dog needs to start off on a lead!
Old 24 October 2007, 03:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
I also have to say here that i have NEVER heard of training a dog without a lead! As I said my husband is in security and his working dog is trained to attack on command, speak, sit, heal, stay, lay down, retrieve - the full works - but never has the dog been trained off of a lead - sometimes a long lead is used - and its not even always held - but a trained dog needs to start off on a lead!
In my days of security dog handling, everything was learnt ON a lead of some form. Maintaining control is paramount, especially early on.

Once a certain age and level of respect and dicipline is found, as well as a great deal of trust, its time to go off lead, but the dog still needs to spend SOME time back on a lead to be reminded of who the guv is and what each command means.
Old 24 October 2007, 03:53 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My mate's dog got attacked in a park by some cross-breed piece of breathing rubbish. The owner of the dog just stood there laughing it off, so my mate simply stamped on his dog and it soon stopped and didnt get back up again. The lad soon shut his mouth but my mates dog had some nasty bite wounds to it.......
Old 24 October 2007, 03:59 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

i dont even own a dog lead but mine are well behaved. they dont ponce about doing heal work but they come when called and sit when told to....what else is there? (unless i plan to join a circus with them!)
Old 24 October 2007, 04:02 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I know of, she has one of those long leads, but still its not good for a pup to be on the lead, we're training her too so its very important she doesn't have it on.

We aim to be able to walk without a lead and call her back.. but these dog are beaten, kicked and no looked after, to the point they will snap.

Sorry mate, I'm with Snazy and Ms Gooner here.

Dogs, especially pups, should be trained on the lead first, progressing to off the lead training as they learn and understand the commands.

To say its not good for a pup to be on a lead is wierd

Dogs that are beaten and kicked will generally be fear agressive at worst, or extremely human submissive. Fear agressive dogs would tend not to attack people or other dogs without being provoked.

You are either not explaining the problems very well, or not fully understanding of dog behavior.

Of course some breeds are just more likely to be intollerant of other dogs.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
i dont even own a dog lead but mine are well behaved. they dont ponce about doing heal work but they come when called and sit when told to....what else is there? (unless i plan to join a circus with them!)
Can see where your coming from mate, off lead and freedom is nice.
But walking to heal is a basic respect and pecking order thing that once learnt, give a lot more command over the dog.
Once they learn it ON the lead, they tend to do it OFF the lead too unless verbally released. My last was this way.

If you are in an enviroment that allows free roaming, excellent, but in built up areas, places your dog can run out of sight etc, I would not allow it.

Not sure what training a dog to the basics and a circus have to do with each other, but I see the humour
Old 24 October 2007, 04:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
What, like the whole of the UK?
Old 24 October 2007, 04:44 PM
fbladerrv900
Scooby Regular

Can see where your coming from mate, off lead and freedom is nice.
But walking to heal is a basic respect and pecking order thing that once learnt, give a lot more command over the dog.
Once they learn it ON the lead, they tend to do it OFF the lead too unless verbally released. My last was this way.

If you are in an enviroment that allows free roaming, excellent, but in built up areas, places your dog can run out of sight etc, I would not allow it.

Not sure what training a dog to the basics and a circus have to do with each other, but I see the humour

Trained mine ( 2 great danes) on the leads as a pup untill 1 yr old, since then they obey all commands that i speak....off the lead....
Old 24 October 2007, 04:45 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

mine dont go anywhere on the lead so no real need to walk to heal......not too fussed if they respect me, they live in the utility room and eat off the floor - if they want to be aloof then they can crack on If they need to walk with me i just say "walk with me" and they wander along beside me perhaps not to the standard a dog trainer would like but good enough for me and to keep them safe (if near a physco dog on a lead for example.....although physco dogs cant catch mine so no real danger anyway )
Old 24 October 2007, 04:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I'm not even going to start except to say what a complete and utter load of bollocks.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:53 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

i like the way you avoided the need to explain yourself by stating that your comment wouldn't even start, except to allow for an initial insult....clever use of language.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:54 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
I'm not even going to start except to say what a complete and utter load of bollocks.
But to what........... lol

Rhino, sounds good to me mate, as long as you have that command over them, thats what counts, but in general thats hard to achieve with no on lead training.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:56 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
i like the way you avoided the need to explain yourself by stating that your comment wouldn't even start, except to allow for an initial insult....clever use of language.
Thanks.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

But to what........... lol
Just noticed my post followed Smugs comment but it wasn't referring to that. Had it been it would have been quoted.

The 'off lead' bollocks is unbelievable as is the lack of defence of a GSD.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:11 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

lol - so what is bollocks then?
see the trouble you cause when you start but cant finish your point.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:14 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

IMHO, Dogs no matter of temperment should be kept on a lead at all times in public places. Remember these are animals and no matter how socialsed or taught your dog is, they could and may bite at any time if they feel threatened, i am not excusing these peoples behaviour but its not the dogs to blame its the owners.. i have 3 dogs NOT GOING TO STATE THEIR BREED AND THEN BE SLATED OR CLASSED AS A CHAV..I can honestly say my dogs were brought as i just love the breed and show my dogs, The thing to remember is that they are animals. i never leave the kids alone with any of my dogs (even though they are as soft as ****e), and i always have mine on a lead as you never know what MIGHT happen if another dog came near, Their instincts may tell them that they feel under threat.And i certinaly would not go rushing hands in into a dog fight, if people own dogs then they should well know how to separate a dog fight IF IT OCCURED, Just wish people werent so quick to judge dogs.

Vicky
Old 24 October 2007, 05:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Just noticed my post followed Smugs comment but it wasn't referring to that. Had it been it would have been quoted.

The 'off lead' bollocks is unbelievable as is the lack of defence of a GSD.
Fair play mate. Both things are questionable to me also, but no really background with dogs so not gonna play the expert and get involved.
IMO though, leads are a must.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:18 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
What, like the whole of the UK?
No, just the towns and cities
Old 24 October 2007, 05:22 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffy-bull
IMHO, Dogs no matter of temperment should be kept on a lead at all times in public places.

Do what???

So where do you run your dogs? Private land? Your living room? You seem to have an opinion of dogs based on the type you keep - not everyones are so much of a hazard to the public.

Quick Reply: How to deal with Chav'd dogs ??