Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I've an admission to make

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2007, 11:50 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've an admission to make

I'm 36 and I have never drunk a pint of Bitter or Ale in my life.
I mean I have had John Smiths and Newcastle Brown - But does that count?

I have always been a lager drinker - and sometimes, perhaps cider. But part of me is jealous of Bitter drinkers. There is something more intelligent and sophisticated about an Ale drinker. You know when you buy a round and someone says "I'll have a pint of old fothergills west country strumpet" that they are not to be trifled with.

So, please, bitter drinkers, ale drinkers, teach me the ways, take me under your collective wing and instruct on what I should be drinking. What is a good "starter" bitter or Ale? You know for learners.
Old 19 October 2007, 11:54 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Never drunk anything like that, can't stand the smell of beer, lager etc.

Always drunk vodka, so no hangovers.
MJW
Scooby Senior

John Smiths is bitter AFAIK, though I'm sure many CAMRA members would disagree ...
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Have a try of Old speckled hen or Bishops finger. Both easily found in your local supermarket. Take it you've tried guinness?
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Only time Ive drank anything thicker than lager would be in Germany. Lager man myself
Old 19 October 2007, 11:58 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Reminds me of the story my dad tells. Their house is near the vicarage and the vicar popped round one even to talk about something or another. My dad had a beer already so offered the vicar some Bishops finger.... apparently the look on his face was one of shock and bemusement until my dad clarified what he meant
Old 19 October 2007, 11:59 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Never drunk anything like that, can't stand the smell of beer, lager etc.

Always drunk vodka, so no hangovers.

Thought I was the only one im the same, for some reason I just dont like the taste of it? don't know why, never have liked it?!?!?
Old 19 October 2007, 12:00 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Have a try of Old speckled hen or Bishops finger. Both easily found in your local supermarket. Take it you've tried guinness?
Yeah, have had a guiness lots of times - I have to be in the mood for it, but when I am , I like it.
Old 19 October 2007, 12:02 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a bottle or 3 of Tanglefoot, or Bombardier.

Then once you've got the taste finish off with some Theakston's Old Peculiar.
Old 19 October 2007, 12:14 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Pint of Directors should get you going
Old 19 October 2007, 12:24 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Take your make up off, put on some trousers and get down the pub quick ............
Old 19 October 2007, 12:27 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Green King IPA is good for starting on, it's not that strong but just tastes nice. Greene King IPA

Some of the Wychwood Brewery one's are nice too - Hobgoblin, Golaith, White Wych. Welcome to the Wychwood Brewery, home of the legendary Hobgoblin Ale

Don't start taking about ale / beer when it's only lunchtime, i'm getting thirsty.

Windyboy.
Old 19 October 2007, 12:28 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I'm 36 and I have never drunk a pint of Bitter or Ale in my life.
I mean I have had John Smiths and Newcastle Brown - But does that count?

I have always been a lager drinker - and sometimes, perhaps cider. But part of me is jealous of Bitter drinkers. There is something more intelligent and sophisticated about an Ale drinker. You know when you buy a round and someone says "I'll have a pint of old fothergills west country strumpet" that they are not to be trifled with.

So, please, bitter drinkers, ale drinkers, teach me the ways, take me under your collective wing and instruct on what I should be drinking. What is a good "starter" bitter or Ale? You know for learners.
CAMRA wouldn't class it as a real ale if it's not hand pumped or bottled so if you've had John Smiths from a can or the gassy version they normally sell in pubs then it don't count. I have seen John Smiths cask in pubs before now which would count as a real ale. Sure it was a top beer once before Scottish and Newcastle / Interbrew or whoever got hold of the brand name ruined it. Newky Brown is an ale though.

As for teaching you the ways? Not much to learn really, get it down you and enjoy a proper tasting beer, where with a refined pallet you could tell what malt and hops were used to make it much the same as a wine taster can with grape varieties, where they're grown etc. Much better than bland, horrible, chemically enhanced lager! If the heaviness of it puts you off initially look for lighter ales, many breweries do summer beers that are much lighter in colour and taste. Indian Pale Ale (IPA) is also a good starting point as these tend to be lighter. Originally formulated as a weaker, lighter ale, compared to the English brews, for the troops during our occupation of India.

If you really want to get properly **** about it join CAMRA and go along to one of the local meets, proper beardy types
Old 19 October 2007, 12:29 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Same here....never drink beer, lager, bitter or anything else like that as I cant stand the taste.

Vodka all the way....
Old 19 October 2007, 12:30 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The stuff out of bottles tastes rubbish compared to a properly looked after and served pint. The difference is dramatic.
Old 19 October 2007, 12:35 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

As a non beardy camra member i have to say get along to a beerfest somewhere. you'll get to try loads and get top tips off other peeps. Plus it is cheap!

If you like guinness ans newcy brown you are already half way there, things like Tanglefoot (mentioned) are very light hoppy jobs that look a bit like lager and Old Peculiar is a very dark, strong (although not strong tasting) ale. Just try them out but make sure you do it in a decent pub. no point being put off by bad beer!

5t.
Old 19 October 2007, 12:49 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I prefer a cold crisp refreshing pint against a flat warm lifeless dishwater (ale) anyday!
Old 19 October 2007, 12:55 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I love real ale We have a small brewery up here in the Dales called The Wharfedale Brewery and they produce this lovely stuff called Executioner, yum
Old 19 October 2007, 12:56 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
I prefer a cold crisp refreshing pint against a flat warm lifeless dishwater (ale) anyday!

That figures, land of the lager louts
Old 19 October 2007, 02:14 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Enjoy very cold lager on a hot summers day.

Rest of the time...beer.

Last edited by lozgti; 19 October 2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 19 October 2007, 02:51 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
The stuff out of bottles tastes rubbish compared to a properly looked after and served pint. The difference is dramatic.
God, no!

Bottle conditioned beer is how it's meant to taste.

It's never as good from a pump IMO
Old 19 October 2007, 03:12 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

You'd be in a minority there - I'm always disappointed with the stuff that comes out of bottles, even bottle-conditioned beers always seem gassy, sharp or metallic.

Find a good Free House - that is, a pub that's not tied to or owned by a particular brewery - and plan yourself a nice long evening in. Work your way along the bar, starting with the weakest beer that's on a hand pump and ending up with the strongest.

Any that are warm, flat or cloudy are duff (no pun intended!) - take it back to the bar and complain. Real ale should always be served cool (though not so chilled that you can't taste anything), and the depth of head can vary with northern beers tending to have more than southern.

And one last thing: enjoy! There's no 'right' or 'wrong', the fun is in trying new beers rather than sticking with a familiar favourite.

My rule is that if I've never heard of a beer, it's probably quite good
Old 19 October 2007, 03:25 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
Some of the Wychwood Brewery one's are nice too - Hobgoblin, Golaith, White Wych. Welcome to the Wychwood Brewery, home of the legendary Hobgoblin Ale

Windyboy.
Hobgoblin is fine stuff as is Moorhouse's Pendle Witches Brew. I am visiting the mother land next year and both are on the agenda.

Should you find yourself down under then avoid the main stream beers 'cos they're crap IMO. Fave's of mine are James Squire's IPA, Gage Roads IPA, Little Creatures IPA (brewed down the road in Fremantle) and Indian Ocean Brewhouse's IPA , Pilsner and Stout (brewed here - 5 minute drive/25 minute walk from my house ). OK, ok so I like IPA
Old 19 October 2007, 04:13 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJW
John Smiths is bitter AFAIK, though I'm sure many CAMRA members would disagree ...

Yes they would: it's over-chilled, tasteless, over-aerated p*ss.

M
Old 19 October 2007, 04:29 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You're not the only one. Although i've never had guiness, newc brown, john smiths either.

Lager man only. Can't stand the smell or lOOk of those bitter/ale pints, sipped a few under peer pressure and it's like p!ss.

Why start now??

Last edited by GazTheHat; 19 October 2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 19 October 2007, 04:44 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I'd recommend something like Archers (Village, Best, Golden etc.), particularly the weaker strength ones. The idea of traditional ales is to have a decent tasting pint which you can drink all afternoon/evening without getting smashed, rather than something that gets you pi$$ed as fast as possible.

Try a Wetherspoons pub, they usually have 3 or 4 guest ales on which they seem to rotate every week or two. Also look out for beer festivals, the sort of places you get a souvenier glass with your ticket and then try to sample as many of the ales as possible - and try to remember the ones you liked!
Old 19 October 2007, 04:50 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Lager man only. Can't stand the smell or lOOk of those bitter/ale pints, sipped a few under peer pressure and it's like p!ss
I'd see a doctor mate. Normal, healthy **** looks much more like lager
Old 19 October 2007, 04:51 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

tried the bottles and tried the "real thing" in a small country pub and couldnt get away with them to be honest
Old 19 October 2007, 05:17 PM
ChrisB

Timmy Taylor Landlord. Mmmmm

Had a good night at the Nantwich Beer Festival recently - top stuff working your way through the offerings. Lovely half of Dark Side of the Moose.
Old 19 October 2007, 05:27 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Went to a real ale event at a local some years ago, in a tent in the car park, all the beer was hand pulled and was as flat as a witches t#t but after 5 pints i couldnt say my own name.

Strong stuff. Once you get over the flatness after being used to lager the tastes are very good.

Last edited by ZIPPY; 19 October 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: I've an admission to make