Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to be a property developer (on C5)

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2007, 09:21 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default How to be a property developer (on C5)

anyone been watching it?

your comments please... DAN & DAN!!! muppets

Phil
Old 18 October 2007, 09:26 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree - they seem far too smug. They just seem to be out to have themselves a bit of a good time, without actually making too much effort. Mind you, I guess that's because it's Channel 5's money that they're playing with, not their own.
Old 18 October 2007, 09:35 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

yep if it were there money things would be a whole lot different, no.. lets put it to auction and sell it for £30k less then we bought it for with the money spent on it.

also winds me up.. (being a decorator) .. when they need to save money they tell the decorator they will do the painting and sack him,
then they can't do painting properly and make it look Sh*t and amateurish.
Old 18 October 2007, 09:39 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

everyone thinks development is easy, mainly due to watching crap like this on tv. the strict definition of "development" (according to the town and country planning acts) does [just about] include the practice of buying an old $hitter and renovating it, but this is "play development" or "hobby development" IMHO.

having said that, i do sometimes watch stuff like this, but it still annoys me!

[rant mode off]
Old 18 October 2007, 09:53 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

richard,
I saw sarah beany at grand designs two weeks ago, during the Q&A in her 12noon semminar
ASKED THE QUESTION WHERE 'DEVELOPERS' GET THE EXTRA
funding from when they say they've £150k to spend and in the end they spend £250k, the answer was very cagey... it comes down to the property value increasing.. so they remortage.. then borrow money from friends/family and credit cards!!
it's never said on the PROPERTY LADDER show though.
Old 18 October 2007, 10:15 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been watching this as well, the two dans were comical the amount of money they have blown is shocking. The church that the two women bought is just 15 mins up the road from me on the way to knockhill . It sits right next to busy main road and right on a bad bend.
Old 18 October 2007, 10:43 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
richard,
I saw sarah beany at grand designs two weeks ago, during the Q&A in her 12noon semminar
ASKED THE QUESTION WHERE 'DEVELOPERS' GET THE EXTRA
funding from when they say they've £150k to spend and in the end they spend £250k, the answer was very cagey... it comes down to the property value increasing.. so they remortage.. then borrow money from friends/family and credit cards!!
it's never said on the PROPERTY LADDER show though.
sarah b annoys me, but she does know her stuff - or at least she appears to. a cynic might say that perhaps she doesn't do any of her "commentary" on prop ladder until she knows the outcome....

i suppose it makes 'great' tv and does draw in the crowds. ...i also suppose the more people like this make pratts of themselves and lose money (and try to palm off a bad product on the unsuspecting public), the more a chartered surveyor/housebuilder[as opposed to property renovator] and master decorator [that's you btw ] should be able to clean up
Old 18 October 2007, 11:12 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yep Dan & Dan are a couple of ****** if ever I have seen any.

That place in Portugal they had, how did they manage to rack up 16k on travelling backwards and forwards to Portugal for god sake??? I bet they were just living it up in fancy hotels etc. I mean you can get flights out there for next to nothing.

Not to mention about 20K which they spent on architect/surveying fees, then didn't actually have anything done to the place.

Muppets!

I like the guy who presents the show though, he tells things how they are and soon passes his opinions on what Dan & Dan are doing/done wrong

Last edited by stiscooby; 18 October 2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 18 October 2007, 11:51 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

They are using 'real' money. They get 300k to start and they get to keep any profit at the end of the year. That is 300k interest free. If you couldn't make a go of that you would have to be very very stupid. Unfortunately Dan & Dan appear to be very very very very very very ad infinitum stupid
Old 19 October 2007, 12:00 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Is this the 2 queer blokes who did that, 'how to make a million pounds out of property' about 4 years ago?

They were thick then, rigged figures etc and somehow managed to get their own show I noticed adverts with them in it but not paid that much attention.
Old 19 October 2007, 12:12 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Naw - to different stupid people. I would think the two you are referring to have now made their money by bitching at each other on TV
Old 19 October 2007, 09:00 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Naw - to different stupid people. I would think the two you are referring to have now made their money by bitching at each other on TV
and selling their stories to "the sport"...
Old 19 October 2007, 09:03 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Were can I download these episodes, as I watched a couple, but it seemed to then move time slot on ch.5 ???

SBK
Old 19 October 2007, 09:22 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

These programs do make me laugh - the two Dans are hopeless - to manage to lose the best part of £300K in a year on properties is pretty impressive. Even with the slower market, they could have bought a couple of houses at the start of the year, spent ages doing them up themselves, then sold them on and made 10% + easily.

The two girls seem a bit better, but they got lucky on the church as they could easily have lost loads on that. They seem to have more realistic ideas about the profit they can actually make.

A lot of the problem with these 'property developing experts' like Beany etc.. is that they basically made their money through luck - they bought places before the rises, and were probably making a modest return on them, then sold them and made lots of money. I'd like to see if any of them could make a decent living buying at todays prices if they were starting from scratch !

I know a couple of of proper developers who have been doing it for years ( over 20 in one guys case ) - neither of them are buying anymore as the margins are so low, and they take so long to sell that there isnt enough profit to make it worthwhile, plus when they do find a decent looking project, they get outbid by amateurs who pay way over the odds for them.

Both of them had quite a few places they had bought cheap, renovated and were renting out, and as soon as the prices shot up and got silly, they sold them and made a killing, but both admit that its unlikely that situation is going to happen again in the next 10 years as you cant buy cheap enough anymore.
Old 19 October 2007, 02:47 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Couple of *****, too busy thinking they look good to actually pay any attention / do any work!!
Old 19 October 2007, 05:37 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Quite possibly - could be they are just hoping to get 'discovered' and offered their own series on cable doing male grooming or something similar and not really interested in property in the first place.
Old 19 October 2007, 06:06 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
A lot of the problem with these 'property developing experts' like Beany etc.. is that they basically made their money through luck - they bought places before the rises, and were probably making a modest return on them, then sold them and made lots of money. I'd like to see if any of them could make a decent living buying at todays prices if they were starting from scratch !

I know a couple of of proper developers who have been doing it for years ( over 20 in one guys case ) - neither of them are buying anymore as the margins are so low, and they take so long to sell that there isnt enough profit to make it worthwhile, plus when they do find a decent looking project, they get outbid by amateurs who pay way over the odds for them.

Both of them had quite a few places they had bought cheap, renovated and were renting out, and as soon as the prices shot up and got silly, they sold them and made a killing, but both admit that its unlikely that situation is going to happen again in the next 10 years as you cant buy cheap enough anymore.

when the BEANY was asked at GRAND DESIGNS .. 'would she do what she does NOW in todays market?'..
answer: she said probably not!

as she explained, house prices are high even for stuff that needs doing up, she gave the example of a house on the market £20k less than market value just cus it was in need od doing up!! a done up house is only £20k more but to do the house up you would have needed more than £20k thrown at it!!

I think you've hit the nail on the head, people watch these programmes then go out buy stuff at over inflated prices then try and sell them at even higher prices and the knock on effect hits everyone.

phil
Old 20 October 2007, 10:18 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Very true, in my village there is a large plot of land for sale ( that has been for about the last 3 years ! ) for £250,000 - it has planning permission for a 4 bed house on it, rough price to build would be £100,000 +, so total would be at least £350K - based on the price of similar sized houses in the village, the house would sell for £350K maximum, which means any 'property developer' could stand to make FA before any fees.

Stupid thing is, the plot had an old bungalow on it, which was torn down by the bloke who bought the land - he then tried to get planning permission to build 3 houses on the plot, which was refused, and the most the council would give is the permission for the 4 bed house, which is only a bit bigger than the bungalow he pulled down. In fact, had he just extended the old bungalow and tidied it up, he could probably have made a half decent profit for just a few months work.

IIRC he paid around £220K for the bungalow and land originally, and has now had to pay out three years of mortgage payments on an empty plot, so he probably cant sell for less than £250K without losing money, which will never happen as it isnt worth anywhere near that.