4D SCANS

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2007, 11:25 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4D SCANS

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi all. Just wondered if their is anyone especting/had a baby? If so has anyone had a 4d scan and if so what are your thoughts on it?
I was planing on having one in January when i will be 34 weeks as it was not as widely avaliable when i had my last child and dont plan on having any more so thought it might be nice to have this oppurtunity to see my little one before it arrives and just double check it doesnt have hubbys ears..

I have found a clinic in Milton Keynes so quite close to us and their prices start from £99,

All thoughts are appreciated,

Vicky
Old 18 October 2007, 11:33 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're at 19 weeks, I guess a 4d of twins could be pretty cool but after we sat down and thought it through we decided that there were other things that were more important to buy.

Best of luck
Old 18 October 2007, 11:34 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Our friends had one done and thought it was a very good thing to do - but they live in Bristol, where they seem to only do one scan.
Here in Cornwall, we seem to get much better service and have had three so far - all good!
Due in 4 weeks - yikes!

Congratulations by the way!
Old 18 October 2007, 11:38 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

I didnt have one, but ended up having 4 ordinary scans.

I did know a few ladies that had had 4d scans and all of them seemed to be happy about what they got, all bar one who was asked to come back again as baby wasnt very co-operative, but there was no charge to go back
Old 18 October 2007, 11:43 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Our friends had one done and thought it was a very good thing to do - but they live in Bristol, where they seem to only do one scan.
Here in Cornwall, we seem to get much better service and have had three so far - all good!
Due in 4 weeks - yikes!

Congratulations by the way!
congratulations too.. Here in Buckinghamshire we get 2 scans: a dating scan, and then the anomaly scan between 20-22 weeks,
The dating scan i had done at 16 weeks and the pictures wernt very good as the baby didnt want to be seen and was facing in towards my back, i am due my anomaly scan this tues 23rd and am hoping that the baby wont be shy this time as my kids, hubby and myself really want to know the sex.
I thought that as im having a home birth again if i opted for the 4d scan once the babys head is engaged they can check the presentation of the placenta too (as well as getting a peek at him/her)...
Old 18 October 2007, 12:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Do you have to wear 4D glasses as well? .... Jaws 3D eat your heart out!!
Old 18 October 2007, 12:12 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

How long does it take to get a decent 4D scan done?
Old 18 October 2007, 12:13 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fast bloke
How long does it take to get a decent 4D scan done?
Sexual intercourse then around 4 months
Old 18 October 2007, 12:17 PM
ChrisGrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Do you have to wear 4D glasses as well? .... Jaws 3D eat your heart out!!
I'm sure the 4th D is time does that mean you can see what he/she looks like when there 18?
Old 18 October 2007, 12:24 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Matt - I recommend this book, it uses terms us blokes can understand
Old 18 October 2007, 12:25 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisGrant
I'm sure the 4th D is time does that mean you can see what he/she looks like when there 18?

That is why I was asking about how long it takes

p.s. - They are actually called 4D scans, which is strange. Even though it might be a 3D image shown on a 2d screen.....

Anyway - a friend had one done and got a DVD of the event. It looks brilliant, but it isn't really what I would consider normal viewing over a few beers. I would love to have them of my kids to show them in later years
Old 18 October 2007, 12:29 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Thanks for bringing this subject up

After a quick google, i found a local 3d/4d place to us in perthshire. Gave them a phone and now booked in for saturday

2d scanning £75
2/3d scanning for £125
2/3/4d scanning £155

I am going for the £155 package which includes 15min dvd and a selection of pictures. Will also confirm sex of baby, which we dont know yet! (Couldn't confirm on the 20wk)

3d is self explanatory, 4d is 3d but moving

My wife is 32wks at the moment and the doctor says this is about the limit for scanning as by this time the head should have settled in the downward position meaning getting a clear picture of the facial features may be more difficult.

Cant wait now, good keepsake
Old 18 October 2007, 12:36 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffy-bull
congratulations too.. Here in Buckinghamshire we get 2 scans: a dating scan, and then the anomaly scan between 20-22 weeks,
The dating scan i had done at 16 weeks and the pictures wernt very good as the baby didnt want to be seen and was facing in towards my back, i am due my anomaly scan this tues 23rd and am hoping that the baby wont be shy this time as my kids, hubby and myself really want to know the sex.
I thought that as im having a home birth again if i opted for the 4d scan once the babys head is engaged they can check the presentation of the placenta too (as well as getting a peek at him/her)...
You can check the presentation of the placenta from an ordinary scan. We had our first baby at home and Truda was originally placenta preavia and so we had an ordinary scan at 34 weeks to show that everything was in fact OK. In fact if you were placenta preavia it would show up on both the dating scan and the anomaly scan. Also having a low placenta early on is no indication as to where the placenta will end up - most move out of the way as the uterus expands.

At 34 weeks the problem with a scan is that the baby is HUGE compared to the field of vision so I am not sure what result you would get on the 3d/4d scanner. A nice solid picture of an arm or a leg?
Old 18 October 2007, 12:39 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

After a quick google, i found a local 3d/4d place to us in perthshire. Gave them a phone and now booked in for saturday

2d scanning £75
2/3d scanning for £125
2/3/4d scanning £155

I am going for the £155 package which includes 15min dvd and a selection of pictures. Will also confirm sex of baby, which we dont know yet! (Couldn't confirm on the 20wk)

My wife is 32wks at the moment and the doctor says this is about the limit for scanning as by this time the head should have settled in the downward position meaning getting a clear picture of the facial features may be more difficult.

Wow can you let me know how you get on and if you recomend it please???
Im hoping to find the sex of my baby out on Tuesday but if that fails i shall definatly be booking the scan... Those prices too are really good, for the similar package here thats about £195 +, good luck and hope dont forget to let me know, thanks vicky
Old 18 October 2007, 12:41 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Matt - I recommend this book, it uses terms us blokes can understand

Looks good - might well order that!
How far is your missus now?
Old 18 October 2007, 12:43 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

19 weeks mate, I think she'll be very glad when it's all over!
Old 18 October 2007, 12:48 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

My wife had one a couple of weeks ago, when she reached 26 weeks, and below is a picture of our daughter! She's due 31st December!

If anyone wants any details on price etc - send me a PM. It was done through Peekaboo in Crawley, Sussex.

Old 18 October 2007, 12:55 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Scooby Snacks 23;7339723]My wife had one a couple of weeks ago, when she reached 26 weeks, and below is a picture of our daughter! She's due 31st December!

If anyone wants any details on price etc - send me a PM. It was done through Peekaboo in Crawley, Sussex.

[/QU

Congratulations!!!!

That image looks really clear, that has got to be one of the best quality ones i have seen yet. Thanks for posting that,
were in Buckingham and have found a centre about 10 miles away that do the scaning called "BABYBOND", i think my mind is nearly made up now, after all its a fantastic keepsake.
Best wishes
vicky
Old 18 October 2007, 01:00 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Yes it is a good keepsake.I would love to go back and see myself in the womb 24yrs ago

I shall try and put a pic up on this thread saturday
Old 18 October 2007, 01:23 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

We had 3 done on the last baby - cant see any reason why you wouldnt get one - they are superb. If the cost is an issue then you gonna have a shock when it pops out and starts eating stuff!
Old 18 October 2007, 01:35 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
We had 3 done on the last baby - cant see any reason why you wouldnt get one - they are superb. If the cost is an issue then you gonna have a shock when it pops out and starts eating stuff!
Because they sort of look freaky etc etc, my cousin had one done, looked kind of like Chucky

In answer to Rannoch, about what can be seen due to the size of the baby etc, this is a normal scan at 31.5 weeks, got another one due in about a week or so, then another fortnight after that

Old 18 October 2007, 03:26 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

As above by SJ SKyline, we did think about it but after seeing a few pictures, I thought the babies looked like aliens so I didn't fancy it!!!!
Knowing my luck, the little gits would be totally uncooperative too seeing as there's not as much room for them to move around it as with a single!
Old 18 October 2007, 03:43 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

In the end, we paid £95 for the scan itself, £30 for the confirmation of sex (and yes they confirmed we had had sex ) and a further £25 for 15 min DVD and a few photos.
My father-in-law paid because the 22 week scan was only 80% certin it was a girl and he wanted to know if he was going to have a "pink-one" (as he calls them!) as he has 9 grandchildren and all of them boys.

We were made up with the scan and we were there for about 45 mins.

Tips for the girls - eat chocolate just before you go in it makes the baby hyper!!
Old 20 October 2007, 02:08 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
In the end, we paid £95 for the scan itself, £30 for the confirmation of sex (and yes they confirmed we had had sex ) and a further £25 for 15 min DVD and a few photos.
My father-in-law paid because the 22 week scan was only 80% certin it was a girl and he wanted to know if he was going to have a "pink-one" (as he calls them!) as he has 9 grandchildren and all of them boys.

We were made up with the scan and we were there for about 45 mins.

Tips for the girls - eat chocolate just before you go in it makes the baby hyper!!
Those prices are really good..
Old 20 October 2007, 03:14 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

My Mrs is due our first baby on Jan 4th. Up here in this part of Scotland the NHS only give you a 12-week dating scan but because the Mrs has got sleep aponea we got a 20-week anomaly scan, which was fine, and a growth scan at 28, 32 and 36 weeks. 28-week scan was last week and everything is going ok but we've booked the local Babybond (Livingston) for next Friday just to make sure everything is ok, plus to take a couple of family members along to get them a bit more involved.

Plus next Friday is my birthday so it's a wee treat for me too! We THINK we know what we are having - the lady doing the 28-week scan said she was 85% sure, but the 4D scan next week should confirm it.

Congratulations to all those on this thread that are expecting - hope everything goes ok for you!
Old 20 October 2007, 04:00 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

We had a 4D scan done at BabyBond, managed to book at slot ready for when we visited the baby show at the NEC, and got a heavily discounted price. We got a DVD, and 4 still images for about £80! The only thing I would say is don't leave it too far into the pregnancy to get it done. It really does get difficult to see things in there at 28 weeks +. Do not regret it though, and is highly recommended. BabyBond were very proffessional about the whole scan.

Proby
Old 22 October 2007, 09:28 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

2d scanning £75
2/3d scanning for £125
2/3/4d scanning £155

Any luck??? How did it go??
vicky
Old 22 October 2007, 10:26 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by staffy-bull
[IMG][/IMG]

I was planing on having one in January when i will be 34 weeks as it was not as widely avaliable when i had my last child and dont plan on having any more so thought it might be nice to have this oppurtunity to see my little one before it arrives and just double check it doesnt have hubbys ears..

All thoughts are appreciated,

Vicky
Vicky,

I believe that if you speak to the clinics who do them they will recommend 22-26 weeks. At 34 weeks the baby is all squashed up with no room to move and so you will not get a decent image.
Old 22 October 2007, 11:45 AM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Vicky,

I believe that if you speak to the clinics who do them they will recommend 22-26 weeks. At 34 weeks the baby is all squashed up with no room to move and so you will not get a decent image.
I am due my second scan tomorrow when i will be 21 weeks + so i am hoping that the baby will not be shy and show its bits tomorrow. If not i am booking my appointment at BabyBond for next weekend. Hoping that it will not hide tomorrow though as my 2 kids are coming along to see him/her and want to go to buy him/her something afterwards. Fingers xed the little tink will be cooperative..

Vicky
Old 22 October 2007, 11:49 AM
oobster
Scooby Regular

LOL - hope your wee bump won't be shy vicky.

My Mrs will be 30 weeks on Friday & BabyBond seemed to think this was an ideal time for the 4D scan. Think it's costing us £195 for the full package.

Quick Reply: 4D SCANS