Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone Able To Offer Advise??

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2007, 12:35 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone Able To Offer Advise??

Right 4 weeks ago we had to have the new gas central heating system installed due to back boilers appaerntly becoming illegal. We had to gutt the bedrooms, my kids rooms have just been fully deorated and finally finished so was not pleased about having to have them touched but i was assured that there was to be no mess and they made it sound very clean and quick. We had to remove the laminated flooring from all of the bedrooms which we placed in piles ready to be relaid.

The engineers finally turnt up at 10.30 as opposed to 8.30, they then asked to me pull my washing washing out from under the unit to turn the water suply off, (bearing in mind i am 5 months pregnant), as they didnt believe me when i told them that it was under the sink not behind the washing machine. By 3pm they were packing up and leaving as it was their fasting week and had to drive back to Birmingham, Dust,mess god my house was already a right mess only after day 1. Day 2 they turn up again at 10.30, due the dust and noise is spent most of my day sat out in garden with the dogs, however when i went back in i could smell burning.... They had burnt the wallpaper in every room of the house from where they had joined the pipes

By 3pm they had packed up and left having apparently finished the work, i went to look at each room and OH MY ******G GOOD GOD!!!
Basically all the rooms now need redecorating. The laminated flooring had been burnt and moved and troden on causing alot of it be chipped or snapped, the bath had been filled with water with my bath towels and matts in it.... my daughters piano was upside down in her room, found 2 x pictures smashed and just laid in airing cupboard, her wardrobe had been broken at the bottom from where it was dragged around her room.

I just sat and cried at the mess they had caused and lack of respect to my personal belongings, Lucky whilst in such a state the inspector from British Gas arrived. His words after walking through each room and having written 3x A4 pages of problems/damage was "They really have trashed your home i am so dissapointed in this work, i shall be making a formal complaint tomorrow and i will sort all of the flooring out for and have it laid again for you, i will sort out compinsation too for this mess and i really cant appologise enough". Fair enough i thought he seemed like he was going to get it sorted quickly, in the mean timwe i wrote to the council stating exactly what damage had been causedand how annoyed i was. They contacted me to say they would be sending me decorating vouchers that day recoorded delivery, (4 weeks ago still not recieved.)And to top it off i rang the gas board to find out what is going on as i want to start putting things back to normal and the inspector that came here and next door (making promises to her aswell about having things replaced)is now denying saying that to either of us and the gas board are saying they will take no further action and basically we are to pay to replace it all.....

The decorating grant we are promised is only £200 and is for paint/wallpaper only NOT LAMINTED FLOORING...

Can anybody recomend any further action i can take???
Your help will be greatly apperciated.

vicky
Old 17 October 2007, 12:54 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Not good Vicky - get in touch with someone like the Citizens Advice Bureau -they will tell you what your rights are and what action to take.

Good luck
Chris
Old 17 October 2007, 01:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Am I right in saying this is a council rented property, and that the contractors were working for the council rather than you.

If so the council should be liable for all the damage caused, and rather than agreeing to vouchers I would suggest that you list all the damage and then obtain quotes for making good from local tradesmen. Then write to the council enclosing the estimate for repairing/making good the damage with the caveat that you will take them to small claims court unless the matter is resolved.

Chin up girl, these barstewards can only grind you down if you let them!!

PS - Do you still want me to take the DNA test in four months time
Old 17 October 2007, 01:28 PM
staffy-bull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Am I right in saying this is a council rented property, and that the contractors were working for the council rather than you.

If so the council should be liable for all the damage caused, and rather than agreeing to vouchers I would suggest that you list all the damage and then obtain quotes for making good from local tradesmen. Then write to the council enclosing the estimate for repairing/making good the damage with the caveat that you will take them to small claims court unless the matter is resolved.

Chin up girl, these barstewards can only grind you down if you let them!!

PS - Do you still want me to take the DNA test in four months time
omg made me nearly pee myself with laughter....
Yeah you can send you sample via Royal Mail..
Old 17 October 2007, 01:47 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

ask a solicitor 5/10 mins free advice