Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

just seen this vid off the rollercoaster link...

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2007, 07:37 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just seen this vid off the rollercoaster link...

im gonna warn everyone before hand its not pleasent. i clicked on it by chance, and i just feel so sorry for the poor poor baby.

can anyone shed any light on what this condition could possibly be. it upset me quite a bit so i wasnt able to read the comments underneath. like i said its a little disturbing, as it seems to be a birth defect. possibly not work safe so ive tried to warn people. if its classed as offensive, il remove it, but from a medical point, just curious on any info to do with the condition...

Baby Snake...Real Story - LiveVideo.com
Old 09 October 2007, 07:58 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I believe, that's a 'Harlequin Baby', a medical condition IIRC. Google it, it's not pleasant though.
Old 09 October 2007, 09:44 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

that looks very bad, never heard of that before.
Old 09 October 2007, 09:45 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Not many things shock me but bloody hell.

lets hope It/he/she didn't suffer too long
Old 09 October 2007, 10:25 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Explanation :

Harlequin type ichthyosis

Harlequin type ichthyosis, the most severe form of congenital ichthyosis, is characterized by a thickening of the keratin layer in fetal skin. The afflicted child is born with not skin, but massive, diamond-shaped scales. As well, the eyes, ears, mouth, and other appendages can be abnormally contracted. The scaly armor limits the child's movement, and because it is cracked where normal skin would fold, it is useless for skin's primary function – protection. Bacteria and other contaminants easily pass into the cracks and can cause lethal infections.

The term harlequin comes from both the baby's facial expression and the diamond-shaped pattern of the scales, which are caused by severe hyperkeratosis. 17th century entertainers known as jesters, or harlequins, wore costumes with diamond patterns on them, as well as a particular style of face paint. The features of the harlequin fetus mimic this stylized makeup, and their faces are often pulled tight into grim parodies of a clown's smile.

The disease is also known as harlequin ichthyosis, ichthyosis congenita, and keratosis diffusa fetalis. Sufferers are known as harlequin fetuses, harlequin babies, or plain harlequins.

The underlying genetic and biochemical abnormalities that result in harlequin ichthyosis are not yet completely understood. The disease is generally thought to be recessive, so a harlequin fetus will only be born to two parents who carry the gene. The disease can be diagnosed in the womb by way of fetal skin biopsy.

In the past, the disorder was invariably fatal, whether due to dehydration, infection, restricted respiration due to the armored plating, or other related causes. The most common cause of death is systemic infection. However, there have been improvements in care recently, and some children have survived more than the usual few hours. It is thought that with advancing medical care, within a few years, harlequin babies will be able to live for up to a decade. Because of this, and the onset of political correctness, the term harlequin baby is now preferred over harlequin fetus.
Old 09 October 2007, 10:29 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I saw that and it was only when googling the condition that made me realise the clip showed a real baby.

I was going to post a reference to the video but thought it would be too distressing for most people.

Absolutely tragic.
Old 09 October 2007, 11:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That was so upsetting to see. I feel so sorry for that poor baby. I did not know that sort of thing can happen.

Les