Pilot sacked - seems harsh...

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2007, 09:33 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot sacked - seems harsh...

BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Pilot sacked after Savage visit

I was once taken up to the cockpit of a Virgin Atlantic flight to Toronto. I was absolutely terrified of flying at the time, but the experience really helped me. I was also invited back up there for landing and the pilot explained everything that was going on, all the little noises and all the safety systems etc.

Such a big shame it can't happen these days.

In this case it was a private charter and everyone on the plane knew each other etc. All seems a bit harsh to me.
Old 08 October 2007, 09:41 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

MYT are sying "rules is rules", which is a fair point. However, I hardly think Robbie Savage is a secret Islamic terrorist. Or terrorist of an sort.

Seems to me that a word in his ear should have sorted this out. Damn shame.
Old 08 October 2007, 09:42 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

does seem a bit harsh.but he did know the anti-terrorism rules and admitted it
Old 08 October 2007, 09:58 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I would have sacked him for the dodgy facial hair alone
Old 08 October 2007, 09:58 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Rules are for the guidance of the intelligent and the obedience of fools
he makes a very good point.
I've sent a suitibly vitriolic email to them
astaboy.
Old 08 October 2007, 10:23 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Despite finding out via the media channels I despise, I have to voice my displeasure at the sacking of Pablo Mason.

Rules are there for a reason, but when the flight is a private charter and the occupants are all known to each other, the circumstances dictate the chances of letting one of them (especially a well known sportsman) onto the flight deck poses a minimal risk.

You've made the wrong decision, one that disgraces your organisation and your reputation. As a result, it'll be a cold day in hell before I set foot on one of your aircraft again and you can shove all your other services up your **** as well.
Yours,
astraboy
sorted.
Old 08 October 2007, 10:38 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

He was the Captain on a MyTravel flight to Barcelona I was on a few years back. He was very memorable as he personally greeted everybody onto the Airbus jet when we boarded and was very amusing over the intercom too. He came across as a thorough professional but one who calls a spade a spade. I bet he rubbed a few people up the wrong way and this was their excuse to stick the knife in.
Old 08 October 2007, 11:46 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Dash and Blast it!! Well I'd like to say how ruddy rude and downright rotten you lot are for sacking that flying chap type fellow. He's obviously a proper corker and would be welcome at my bash any year. I only hope that when flying his next sortie, he bloody well drops his clogs all over your gaff, eh, what?

Your in a right old state,
Major Lee Upmigh-Ownass.

Sorted.
Old 09 October 2007, 08:00 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I've read his book about GW1, seemed like a really decent bloke.
Old 09 October 2007, 08:48 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

PC bollox

Common sense out the fecking window as usual

Old 09 October 2007, 08:50 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

We wouldn't have any anti terrorism stuff if we didn't go around annoying the world.

Thanks TB
Old 09 October 2007, 10:02 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

lozgti, we wouldn't have all this anti-terrorism bollox if those fcukwitted, arrogant, self-obsessed w@nkers on the other side of the Atlantic had listened to just one of the many warnings they had received concerning the non-existent security measures for domestic flights
Old 09 October 2007, 10:16 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I'm sure he'll walk into a better job on the back of this
Old 09 October 2007, 10:22 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I used to work for MYT and went into the cockpit on flights a few times - PC wasn't so stupid back then so it was no issue.

No common sense anymore, everything just gets blanketed.
Old 09 October 2007, 11:22 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
he makes a very good point.
I've sent a suitibly vitriolic email to them
astaboy.
Well said astraboy. we seem to be becoming bound with "by numbers" treatment of a situation and that commonsense is being thrown out of the window.

This flight was such that everyone was known to the crew and there was no danger of being hijacked etc. We used to have passengers up on the flight deck all the time in the VC10 and we were in the same position as that captain was in that we knew we were not carrying anyone who was likely to be a problem. It is a great help to someone if thay are a bit nervous of flying to be shown the flight deck too.

This is a typical example of a man with a distinguished career being thrown out by some creepy prat who is probably trying to demonstrate how powerful he is and in fact demonstrating how far his head is up his own ****!

Les
Old 09 October 2007, 11:30 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
This is a typical example of a man with a distinguished career being thrown out by some creepy prat who is probably trying to demonstrate how powerful he is and in fact demonstrating how far his head is up his own ****!

Les
Proabably a creepy prat who was turned down by the RAF for not being "the right stuff", and has had it in for former RAF pilots ever since, especially war veterans.

Where's that Obituary of Common Sense?
Old 09 October 2007, 11:34 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I remember being a pasenger in a tourist trip to an out of town gold mine in South Africa. I aked if I could go "up front" and was cordially invited to the front and offered a seat. Fantastic views but I do remember the pilot saying casually "Do you fly?"

To this day I lightheartedly wonder what would have happened if I had said "Yes"
Old 09 October 2007, 12:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Proabably a creepy prat who was turned down by the RAF for not being "the right stuff", and has had it in for former RAF pilots ever since, especially war veterans.

Where's that Obituary of Common Sense?
Funnily enough I remember someone just like that who was slung out for making an **** of himself and took a job an as airline manager. He was a Wing Commander too! We were so pleased when he left!

Les
Old 09 October 2007, 02:58 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

It was a charter......dont see the problem, as it's not a scheduled flight.

Crackers.

Last edited by Freak; 09 October 2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09 October 2007, 03:02 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
PC bollox

Common sense out the fecking window as usual

What's this got to do with political correctness?
Old 09 October 2007, 03:51 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I think it's more in line with "the Computer (god) says no" PC rather than political bolox PC.
Old 09 October 2007, 04:41 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO, I'd want to off as soon as I saw those handlebars!
Old 09 October 2007, 06:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

<sigh> Pete, it's because it's caused by immigrants. Don't you learn ANYTHING on scoobynet?
Old 09 October 2007, 07:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Because I understand PC to be inexorably linked to stupid rules that must be adhered to no matter that common sense says something else. d
Old 09 October 2007, 07:50 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
BBC NEWS | England | Coventry/Warwickshire | Pilot sacked after Savage visit

I was once taken up to the cockpit of a Virgin Atlantic flight to Toronto. I was absolutely terrified of flying at the time, but the experience really helped me. I was also invited back up there for landing and the pilot explained everything that was going on, all the little noises and all the safety systems etc.

Such a big shame it can't happen these days.

In this case it was a private charter and everyone on the plane knew each other etc. All seems a bit harsh to me.
Shame but he will get another job very soon
Old 09 October 2007, 08:09 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

As far as I know, only the company's Flight Ops manager has the authority to decide who can/cannot benefit from visits to the Flight Deck - not the Captain. His authority is partly to comply with and uphold relevant rules and regulations of the airline apart from situations where there might be compelling reasons not to. Those situations don't extend to simply satisfying the Captain's opinions, prejudices or thoughts at any particular time so I'd have thought the company were making the right decision if this is what we have to go by.

Its not as if its the first time he's pushed the boundaries with the airline, so its hardly surprising he got treated this way. Certainly, he had issues with the RAF so it was perhaps only a matter of time before something like this happened - discipline is there for a reason. Whilst many have questioned the possibility of hijacking what would have happened if this footballer had gone loco on the Flight Deck due to his fear of flying? The story would certainly have been different then.
Old 09 October 2007, 10:05 PM
mojo monkey
Scooby Regular

this is Bollocks..the Captain is THE CAPTAIN.his the one thats flying the damn plane and its the captains decison...if he hadnt of let savage into the cockpit you would probably be reading,,airline pilot fired for refusing footballer into cockpit...f..k..g world.
Old 09 October 2007, 10:09 PM
mojo monkey
Scooby Regular

MMMMMM nice INSTRUMENTS Fella..ohhh i do say old chap.
Old 10 October 2007, 11:37 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
As far as I know, only the company's Flight Ops manager has the authority to decide who can/cannot benefit from visits to the Flight Deck - not the Captain. His authority is partly to comply with and uphold relevant rules and regulations of the airline apart from situations where there might be compelling reasons not to. Those situations don't extend to simply satisfying the Captain's opinions, prejudices or thoughts at any particular time so I'd have thought the company were making the right decision if this is what we have to go by.

Its not as if its the first time he's pushed the boundaries with the airline, so its hardly surprising he got treated this way. Certainly, he had issues with the RAF so it was perhaps only a matter of time before something like this happened - discipline is there for a reason. Whilst many have questioned the possibility of hijacking what would have happened if this footballer had gone loco on the Flight Deck due to his fear of flying? The story would certainly have been different then.
I wonder if you could explain what you mean by"issues with the RAF". Do you mean problems of some kind and where is anything like that mentioned. Or do you know something more about him than was reported?

Les
Old 10 October 2007, 01:02 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

I think FlatCap's largely correct. Isn't it a CAA requirement for locked flight deck doors? If so then the dude's in the wrong, pure and simple. There's no leeway for "oh, but the captain thought it would be okay...".

Quick Reply: Pilot sacked - seems harsh...