Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Problems with Abbey - anybody help?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2007, 01:26 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Abbey - anybody help?

Had a bank account with Abbey for years and my work means that I get several payments from overseas each month which appear as bank transfers etc. Recently Abbey have upgraded their systems so they say they can longer trace where my payments have come from ! Dont like to be in the situation where I have to ask clients if it's their money which has appeared in my account etc - if they say yes and it's not.....makes me look really stupid.
Have had meeting with my manager and she says it's no longer possible - even via her! So if I'm laundering money though my account they couldn't trace it? Rubbish ! At the point of about to change account/mortgage but dont really want all the hassle. Anybody work for CHAP/International payments at Abbey or can help out? It's driving me mad.
Old 01 October 2007, 05:27 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Somebody? Anybody?
Old 01 October 2007, 05:32 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

If they won't do anything just change to someone else , you need to know these things mate
Old 01 October 2007, 05:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've been transferring money via wire transfer from my TD Canada account to my Abbey account for the past couple of years and it's shown up as either "Account Adjustment at ATM" or "Account Adjustment". I don't think it's ever said where exactly it's come from, but as it's the only transfer into the account I know it's the one I've made.

As you quite rightly say in regards to laundering, the information must be available, it's just they don't want to make it visible to you or your bank manager for some odd reason. One interesting thing I have noticed is that I am seeing more information with regards to bill payments and direct debits, so they are providing more info for some things but for others. Most odd.

My first thought would be to escalate this above your local branch manager, perhaps either call Abbey, or use their online contact form, mention this information is extremely critical to you and if they cannot provide it then you will be forced to move all the financial services and products you have with Abbey to another provider.
Old 01 October 2007, 06:03 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I've been transferring money via wire transfer from my TD Canada account to my Abbey account for the past couple of years and it's shown up as either "Account Adjustment at ATM" or "Account Adjustment". I don't think it's ever said where exactly it's come from, but as it's the only transfer into the account I know it's the one I've made.

As you quite rightly say in regards to laundering, the information must be available, it's just they don't want to make it visible to you or your bank manager for some odd reason. One interesting thing I have noticed is that I am seeing more information with regards to bill payments and direct debits, so they are providing more info for some things but for others. Most odd.

My first thought would be to escalate this above your local branch manager, perhaps either call Abbey, or use their online contact form, mention this information is extremely critical to you and if they cannot provide it then you will be forced to move all the financial services and products you have with Abbey to another provider.
Yes they just appear as account adjustments on my account too - but I need to know more - it could come from up to a dozen different sources. Have since contacted customer services by phone (waste of a phone call) and filled in on-line complaint form.....currently looking for bank complaint forums-type things.....
Old 01 October 2007, 06:09 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

How many transactions do you do a month? You could try a 'proper' bank like Cater Allen private bank, who do free business banking for up to 30 transactions a month.
Old 01 October 2007, 06:12 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana
How many transactions do you do a month? You could try a 'proper' bank like Cater Allen private bank, who do free business banking for up to 30 transactions a month.

Certainly less than 30 payments a month from overseas - but so wound up they could do it before but say they now cant ! And would rather they just started doing it again than face all the aggro of changing everything....
Old 01 October 2007, 06:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Is this a business or personal bank account with Abbey? If it's personal then it might be that is why they have modifed the information displayed, could be a Business account would show you that info.
Old 01 October 2007, 06:28 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Is this a business or personal bank account with Abbey? If it's personal then it might be that is why they have modifed the information displayed, could be a Business account would show you that info.
Personal account - been using it for business for years without a problem - Nobody ever even mentioned that a different account would make any difference....would be happy to change to business account and even pay for it..doesn't seem to be an option.
Old 01 October 2007, 06:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have you specifically asked your bank manager if a business account would have the same limitation as the personal one? If not, give the BM a call and ask that question. I would not be at all shocked if they said that a business account would display the information you want and that they simply overlooked advising/offering to switch you to a business account.