Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hell's Kitchen....... Jim Davidson......

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 12:28 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Hell's Kitchen....... Jim Davidson......

Did anyone else see Jim get kicked off because he said the word "shirtlifter"....

And poor Brian Dowling (or however its spelt) started feckin CRYING... saying he's NEVER been so insulted!..... Jim (the most un-PC person ever) says "Your playing the homophobe card" and Brian starts crying even more!!

Jesus H Christ..... saying "shirtlifter" now get's you kicked off a TV show after the watershed
Old 12 September 2007, 12:31 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I read about it but haven't seen the new series, I can't bring myself to watch it now that Gordon Ramsey has left
Old 12 September 2007, 12:33 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

What annoyed me, was that if ITV deem it to be an offensive term, then fine. But the show isn;t live, they didn't have to broadcast it, and then repeat it the followung day.

Personally I think it was two extremes of the spectrum - Jim obviously had issues with Gay people, and Brian is the worlds biggest drama queen.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:33 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The new chef's some trampy/pikey looking fella.....
Old 12 September 2007, 12:36 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
The new chef's some trampy/pikey looking fella.....
You can't say that. ITV had 50 complaints for Marco using the word "pikey"...

I would really, really like to meet the person that decided they were so outraged that they had to phone up and complain about the word "Pikey"
Old 12 September 2007, 12:37 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

You can watch it online here: http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/rea...n/default.html

Well, you should be able to but I can't as it won't work with either Firebox or IE at the moment
Old 12 September 2007, 12:38 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Heard about it on the radio, he didnt directly call him a shirtlifter, he used the phrase in conversation, ITV had numerous complaints and decided to get rid, as said though, it wasnt live so they could have edited

Having not seen the previous episodes was Jim really a pain in the butt with everyone on the show, as the songs and fun and games they were all playing last night would lead you to believe he was the thorn in their sides :dunno:

Old 12 September 2007, 12:39 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
You can't say that. ITV had 50 complaints for Marco using the word "pikey"...

I would really, really like to meet the person that decided they were so outraged that they had to phone up and complain about the word "Pikey"
Probably phoned from their ma's caravan .....
Old 12 September 2007, 12:40 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

He asked Brian why do all you shirtlifters have that same look?

to me thats calling him a shirt lifter

DINOSAUR = JIM DAVIDSON
BULLY = JIM DAVIDSON
Old 12 September 2007, 12:41 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lpski1
Heard about it on the radio, he didnt directly call him a shirtlifter, he used the phrase in conversation, ITV had numerous complaints and decided to get rid, as said though, it wasnt live so they could have edited

Having not seen the previous episodes was Jim really a pain in the butt with everyone on the show, as the songs and fun and games they were all playing last night would lead you to believe he was the thorn in their sides :dunno:

It was fairly direct without actually calling him it - It was obvious in meaning.

Jim was getting at Brian on a daily basis - He obviously couldnt cope with the fact he was Gay.

But Brian was being equally as atagonistic on account of being a complete poof about it all.

Old 12 September 2007, 12:42 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

5,000,000 people can think that saying 'shirt-lifter' on tv is fine, but if one person doesn't, the bloe gets kicked off the show. Democracy for you.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:43 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
He asked Brian why do all you shirtlifters have that same look?

to me thats calling him a shirt lifter

DINOSAUR = JIM DAVIDSON
BULLY = JIM DAVIDSON
Yup, like I said, he has got issues.

But Brian kept pushing it at the dinner table later that same evening. And then lst it completely when Jim said GAY stood for Good As You.

I think I would have lamped Brian if he had carried on like that in front of me. Equally I would told Jim to **** off because he was being such a biggoted arsehole
Old 12 September 2007, 12:45 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

But Brian was being equally as atagonistic on account of being a complete poof about it all.
From what i saw that is more like it. Not that i like JD but several times he said to Brian "leave it alone" and "wind your neck in" before the shirtlifter remark. Plus both the girls were getting at him too so it was really three onto one.

I think he was within his rights, as he said in his exit interview who stands up and says that you can't treat him like that just because he's white, hetro and stuck in his ways? Hardly insult of the decade was it?

5t.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:47 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Brian was playing on it

Makes good tele
Old 12 September 2007, 12:47 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
From what i saw that is more like it. Not that i like JD but several times he said to Brian "leave it alone" and "wind your neck in" before the shirtlifter remark. Plus both the girls were getting at him too so it was really three onto one.
TO be fair, the Shirtlifter comment was earlier that evening, and completely unprovoked, the "wind your neck in" bit was some time later.

But I agree, Jim said, "ok , lets leave it at that" But Brian clearly wanted to carry on.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sod Jim Davidson and Brian, did anyone see that lad take Marco to task about the word pikey.

Was laughing my head off at Marco raising his hand and saying in his best gangster whsiper 'Be very very careful" and "I will deal with you later".

Came across like a cross between Rambo and Don Corleone. What a complete tool
Old 12 September 2007, 12:49 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
5,000,000 people can think that saying 'shirt-lifter' on tv is fine, but if one person doesn't, the bloe gets kicked off the show. Democracy for you.
To be fair to ITV, they are obviously ultra sensitive to this sort of thing after all the racism rows with Big Brother.

What gets me is that they clearly didn't have to broadcast it.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:50 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

JD wasn't KICKED OFF the show....in discussions with the team he/they felt it was best if he went - he was pissing everyone off and doing himself no favours either. The Shirtlifter thing was just an example of that - NOT a reason on its own.

And this has NOTHING to do with being over PC.....i believe anyone should have the right to their own opinions. JD has the right to believe that gay people are evil if he wants.......but i also believe that if, in 2007, an adult can not conduct themselves in a way that is socially acceptable then they are to stupid to qualify for any sympathy when the **** hits the fan.

Imagine you worked in an office and a new worker was gay.....would you call him a shirt lifter? if the answer is yes then you are an idiot - it says little about your homophobia but lots about your intellect.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:52 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

A Sceptical person might think some dodgy gay bloke, famous for er... sitting in ahouse doing nothing then fronting a phone in TV competition proven to rip people off might have seen the way Shilpa did well out of being made a victim and pushed JD to it, hence all the hassle and sitting right next to him instead of just keeping his distance.

5t.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:53 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Sod Jim Davidson and Brian, did anyone see that lad take Marco to task about the word pikey.
Funnily enough i hated the boy band kid and have no issue with the word pikey....yet in that 30 secs the kid had shown that he was a decent person, happy to stand up for his opinion in a civil manner.....and MPW was a **** that felt embarrassed and reacted like a baby.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:53 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
JD wasn't KICKED OFF the show....in discussions with the team he/they felt it was best if he went - he was pissing everyone off and doing himself no favours either. The Shirtlifter thing was just an example of that - NOT a reason on its own.

He clearly stated last night that he was going to go, but as it turned out he was pushed before he could jump.

Agree with the rest of your post though.
Old 12 September 2007, 12:54 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
A Sceptical person might think some dodgy gay bloke, famous for er... sitting in ahouse doing nothing then fronting a phone in TV competition proven to rip people off might have seen the way Shilpa did well out of being made a victim and pushed JD to it, hence all the hassle and sitting right next to him instead of just keeping his distance.

5t.
Good...JD made a living off exploiting people who couldn't answer back, now a z list cleb gayer has exploited him....goes around comes around
Old 12 September 2007, 12:56 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

And this has NOTHING to do with being over PC.....i believe anyone should have the right to their own opinions. JD has the right to believe that gay people are evil if he wants.......but i also believe that if, in 2007, an adult can not conduct themselves in a way that is socially acceptable then they are to stupid to qualify for any sympathy when the **** hits the fan.

Imagine you worked in an office and a new worker was gay.....would you call him a shirt lifter? if the answer is yes then you are an idiot - it says little about your homophobia but lots about your intellect.
Keep your nickers on Dorothy
Old 12 September 2007, 12:57 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

He was asked to leave according to the ITV Website

Jim's exit: Producers asked him to leave
Following unnaceptable remarks made by Jim, producers asked him to leave the show.

ITV does not condone comments which could cause offence.

Last night we saw the events leading up to the comedian’s dramatic departure, which began as Kelly sipped champagne with Angus following her sacking.

Having survived the public vote for the second time, Jim returned to the kitchen, saying that he thought he’d been given a funny look by a table of diners. “Why do shirt-lifters pull that same face?” he asked Paul and Brian.

“Please don’t say shirt-lifters,” a shocked Brian replied. “It’s really rude.”

“I don’t care,” Jim insisted. “…Some gay men have the same look.”

“What look?” Brian asked. “Do I have that look?”

“No, only when you put it on,” Jim explained. “It’s a sort of preen.”

And later on in the garden after service, the row flared up again when a horrified Brian asked Jim to explain himself further.

“Why do you have to play the homophobic card?” Jim protested. And despite Paul’s best efforts, the bust-up ballooned yet again.

“How can you say that to me?” Brian sobbed. “I am sitting right beside you. I am an equal to you Jim, in everything we have ever done.”

“Sure – that’s what GAY stands for,” Jim sneered. ‘Good As You’. I know that.

“Jim don’t say that,” Brian protested. “Jim, I am Brian – not ‘Good As You’. I am an equal to you. You are being really, really horrible to me now …Why can’t I be Brian and you be Jim?”

Brian then broke down in tears, and Adele and Abbey tried to lead him out of the room. “I won’t walk away” he protested. “I won’t be as Good As You. I will be BAY – Better Than You.”

Tune in to ITV1, tonight at 9pm to watch Jim's departure.

More news
Watch video
Catch Up
Old 12 September 2007, 12:58 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Good...JD made a living off exploiting people who couldn't answer back, now a z list cleb gayer has exploited him....goes around comes around
OOOh you said "gayer" tsk tsk!
Old 12 September 2007, 12:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough i hated the boy band kid and have no issue with the word pikey....yet in that 30 secs the kid had shown that he was a decent person, happy to stand up for his opinion in a civil manner.....and MPW was a **** that felt embarrassed and reacted like a baby.
Yes I agree totally, I think the lad was wrong too as it happens, but at least he presented his argument politely and logically whereas Marco like you say was just an embarrassing buffoon in his reaction.
Old 12 September 2007, 01:06 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Ahhhhhhhhhh poor Brian.

He knows what he's doing, just want's to win the show........
Old 12 September 2007, 01:11 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny E
Ahhhhhhhhhh poor Brian.

He knows what he's doing, just want's to win the show........
As its a contest that not a bad idea.
Old 12 September 2007, 01:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Looks like shirtlifters are really sensitive people then.

Les
Old 12 September 2007, 01:18 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

It was fairly direct without actually calling him it - It was obvious in meaning.

Jim was getting at Brian on a daily basis - He obviously couldnt cope with the fact he was Gay.

Ah, so i'd missed a bit of previous between the two. Brian drew him in to get him booted off then.

Quick Reply: Hell's Kitchen....... Jim Davidson......